News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 10, 2024, 07:37:18 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 10, 2024, 07:16:39 AMIt would be interesting to see regional differences. I think the Northern parts of Italy bring up it's average
I'd guess the opposite to be honest. Just thinking of places I've been in the north like Piedmont, Liguria and Milan v places I've been in the south like Sicily, Naples and Puglia. No evidence though.

Yeah.
Places with good walkability and transit and spare time and wealth to spend on fitness vs. Deprived rural areas where you have to drive absolutely everywhere.
The south being far more of a "feeder" culture will also hurt without the long back baking farm labour to burn it off.

Here's such a map for England and Wales.
Would be surprised if the Italian media hasnt reported on similar?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/0/englands-obesity-hotspots-does-area-compare/
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Mind just blown
This emoji :
🤟

It doesn't mean rock on.
It is actually American sign language and means I love you....
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on May 10, 2024, 07:43:10 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 10, 2024, 07:37:18 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 10, 2024, 07:16:39 AMIt would be interesting to see regional differences. I think the Northern parts of Italy bring up it's average
I'd guess the opposite to be honest. Just thinking of places I've been in the north like Piedmont, Liguria and Milan v places I've been in the south like Sicily, Naples and Puglia. No evidence though.

Yeah.
Places with good walkability and transit and spare time and wealth to spend on fitness vs. Deprived rural areas where you have to drive absolutely everywhere.
The south being far more of a "feeder" culture will also hurt without the long back baking farm labour to burn it off.

Here's such a map for England and Wales.
Would be surprised if the Italian media hasnt reported on similar?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/0/englands-obesity-hotspots-does-area-compare/

Turns out central Italy is the area of the mainland that is the most fit, then the North, then the South.

Barrister

Just to be cruel, here's a similar map for the USA (showing obesity rates - so compared to the second Europe map)

So almost all of the USA is in the 30%+ range, while only Turkey is in Europe.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Quote from: Josquius on May 10, 2024, 03:10:49 AMSurprised the Dutch score so high on overweight... Again I do wonder whether Amsterdam and the surroundings are where all the thin people are.

On the contrary. Obesity is rife in the cities, mostly in the poorer neighbourhoods.

Valmy

Yeah but if you just live the normal American lifestyle you will almost inevitably become overweight. You have to make a considerable effort to not be overweight unless you are just blessed by genetics.

I thought Colorado was the least fat so sort of surprised to see that DC, of all places, is. Must be all those standing desks in the federal bureaucracy.

But look at all those fatties in Saskatchewan!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Also it is weird that Puerto Rico, the US VI, and Guam get to be included in the fatty parade but American Samoa and the Northern Marianas get left out. I guess some territories have more privacy than others.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2024, 12:36:32 PMYeah but if you just live the normal American lifestyle you will almost inevitably become overweight. You have to make a considerable effort to not be overweight unless you are just blessed by genetics.

I thought Colorado was the least fat so sort of surprised to see that DC, of all places, is. Must be all those standing desks in the federal bureaucracy.

But look at all those fatties in Saskatchewan!

It's a cop out to say one needs to be blessed with good genetics.  The genetics haven't changed, our lifestyles have.

We eat fast food, junk food and sugar in everything.  And on top of that people don't move- unless you count their fingers over a keyboard.

Razgovory

I have to say, getting those needles shoved up my asshole was the worst experience I had all week.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 10, 2024, 12:49:42 PMIt's a cop out to say one needs to be blessed with good genetics.  The genetics haven't changed, our lifestyles have.

We eat fast food, junk food and sugar in everything.  And on top of that people don't move- unless you count their fingers over a keyboard.

Um I was just saying if you live the American way of life as advertised to you you will inevitably become overweight except for a minority who just are blessed by genetics to not become overweight no matter how badly they live. I was saying our lifestyle is bad. You have to put in some effort to healthily live in our culture.

I was not saying our genetics have gotten worse.

Savonarola

I learned that words in the romance languages that begin with Gu are most likely Germanic in origin and are derived from words that began with a W in the original language.  For instance whatever is Visigothic or Frankish for "War" become "Guerra" and "Guerre."  English will sometimes have both the Germanic as well as the Romance form; but the words will have somewhat different meanings:  Warden/Guardian, Ward/Guard, Warranty/Guarantee. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

HVC

White flight has evolved. Instead of moving, whites just split off and create a new city

New City created in Louisiana
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Interesting. Romance languages never know what to do with the W or V. Rules keep changing. As an example, veni vidi vici sounds way less cool with the "proper" pronounciation.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on May 10, 2024, 09:11:55 PMWhite flight has evolved. Instead of moving, whites just split off and create a new city

New City created in Louisiana

Seceding to preserve white supremacy? Talk about honoring your heritage.