News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I know nothing about the details (haven't looked), but going all in and trying to create a story about addressing the concerns of average Canadians via spending seems like a reasonable political strategy given their position.

I think increasing capital gains will play reasonably well with many Canadians, whether or not it's good policy.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2024, 10:55:39 PMSo I was going to post about the budget, but instead...

Tim Horton's is rolling out pizzas?

You stupid motherfuckers.

Already you don't cook pretty much anything fresh in store.  All your bread and donuts are shipped frozen.  So you think people are going to want to spend good money to buy frozen pizza from Tim Horton's?

As a kid at the time I actually remember McDonald's McPizza fondly (for those of you younger then me - that was a thing).  But it was also a total disaster for McDonalds.

The phrase "stay in your lane" is wildly over-used, but sometimes it's exactly the right phrase.

Wow, what a waste of money that will be.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2024, 11:00:25 PMSo anyways the budget.

It's going pretty hard left.  New spending for housing and a disability program.  Still expecting a $40 billion dollar deficit, so they make it up with hiking capital gains tax.

I'm looking at news reports and it's really hard to get apples-to-apples comparisons of new spending to new taxes, on either a year-by-year, or over a longer time frame, so I'm going to refrain from quoting numbers.  But the numbers on both new taxes and new spending seem significant.

Obviously this is not a "appeal to Barrister's vote" kind of budget.  But what say you Languish?

Finally addressing how Canada taxes capital gains is a great start. The new 60k$ limit on the RRSP contribution to buying a house is an interesting change.

Didn't really notice anything else. Still not enough funding for our military and actual federal competencies.

Josephus

Tim Hortons lost it for me many years ago. I only used to go for the coffee and the timbits anyway; but honestly McDonalds coffee is better and timbits are fattening, which, when you hit my age, is a concern.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

So far as the budget goes; I haven't read it in depth, but  the capital gains tax is good. Really only affects a small group of Canadians and can raise more than $19 billion. I'm disappointed the much expected corporate income tax hike did not come to pass. Maybe next year?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 17, 2024, 05:05:12 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2024, 10:55:39 PMSo I was going to post about the budget, but instead...

Tim Horton's is rolling out pizzas?

You stupid motherfuckers.

Already you don't cook pretty much anything fresh in store.  All your bread and donuts are shipped frozen.  So you think people are going to want to spend good money to buy frozen pizza from Tim Horton's?

As a kid at the time I actually remember McDonald's McPizza fondly (for those of you younger then me - that was a thing).  But it was also a total disaster for McDonalds.

The phrase "stay in your lane" is wildly over-used, but sometimes it's exactly the right phrase.

Wow, what a waste of money that will be.

Pff, McD was doing noodles here for a while when fried noodles stands popped up all over town. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 17, 2024, 01:06:05 AMI know nothing about the details (haven't looked), but going all in and trying to create a story about addressing the concerns of average Canadians via spending seems like a reasonable political strategy given their position.
They are, again, intruding on provincial fields of spending, doing as if provinces did not exists.

And promoting Greek and Sikh culture in Canada, there's a word for that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

It could maybe make sense if they just had small, single slices you can buy as that's something that a chain here in the UK does (Greggs). Agreed that I don't know who would want full pizza from their coffee/donut place.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on April 17, 2024, 09:44:24 AMIt could maybe make sense if they just had small, single slices you can buy as that's something that a chain here in the UK does (Greggs). Agreed that I don't know who would want full pizza from their coffee/donut place.

Turns out they are flatbread pizzas. That sounds more manageable for a fast frozen food place.

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2024/04/16/tim-hortons-launches-pizza-nationally-to-stretch-the-brand-to-afternoon-night/

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 17, 2024, 05:22:34 AMSo far as the budget goes; I haven't read it in depth, but  the capital gains tax is good. Really only affects a small group of Canadians and can raise more than $19 billion. I'm disappointed the much expected corporate income tax hike did not come to pass. Maybe next year?

So here's former Liberal finance minister Bill Morneau slamming the cap gains tax hike:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/morneau-freedland-budget-capital-gains-tax-1.7176515

He says it will slow investment in Canada.

You can't just raise $19 billion out of nothing - there will always be counter-effects.  Maybe those effects are worth it in the end, but I don't see it in what Trudeau was promising.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 17, 2024, 10:19:07 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 17, 2024, 09:44:24 AMIt could maybe make sense if they just had small, single slices you can buy as that's something that a chain here in the UK does (Greggs). Agreed that I don't know who would want full pizza from their coffee/donut place.

Turns out they are flatbread pizzas. That sounds more manageable for a fast frozen food place.

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2024/04/16/tim-hortons-launches-pizza-nationally-to-stretch-the-brand-to-afternoon-night/

So I went to Tim's to just get a coffee, but saw the pizzas were already available.  I stepped up and ordered one.  I suffered so you don't have to.

I mean - it's what they say about pizza - even really bad pizza is okay pizza.  And this was bad pizza, but I mean it still has crust, sauce, cheese and pepperoni.  It had the basic test you'd expect.  But I feel like my assessment that it'll taste like frozen pizza was born out - and not even very good frozen pizza.

Apparently the pizza is prepared fresh, but on a frozen dough.  The dough did seem very bready and like you'd get from a grocery store.  The coverage of the toppings was not great - the corners in particular led to some very bready bites (to be fair this was their first day).  There was not a particular wait for it though which was surprising.

No one will ever go "I feel like pizza - lets go to Tim Horton's!", nor should they.  For lunch I would much rather get one of their sandwich options.  But if you find yourself at a Tim Horton's for supper, with no where else to go, the Pizza is a tolerable option.

HVC

He no doubt knows more then I don't. But I dont see how this effects individual foreign investment. We have tax treaties, and foreigners only pay a certain percentage here (and the rest of their tax at the rate of their home countries rate). Wont effect their taxes. And citizens are still going to invest since CG is still a better return then most other incomes.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Are the increased capital gains taxes applicable to...:
  • ... Canadian investments, regardless of whether you're a Canadian resident or not?
  • ... capital gains from Canadian and international investments, for Canadian residents?
  • ... capital gains from Canadian investments for Canadian residents?

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2024, 02:27:44 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 17, 2024, 10:19:07 AM

So I went to Tim's to just get a coffee, but saw the pizzas were already available.  I stepped up and ordered one.  I suffered so you don't have to.

I mean - it's what they say about pizza - even really bad pizza is okay pizza.  And this was bad pizza, but I mean it still has crust, sauce, cheese and pepperoni.  It had the basic test you'd expect.  But I feel like my assessment that it'll taste like frozen pizza was born out - and not even very good frozen pizza.

Apparently the pizza is prepared fresh, but on a frozen dough.  The dough did seem very bready and like you'd get from a grocery store.  The coverage of the toppings was not great - the corners in particular led to some very bready bites (to be fair this was their first day).  There was not a particular wait for it though which was surprising.

No one will ever go "I feel like pizza - lets go to Tim Horton's!", nor should they.  For lunch I would much rather get one of their sandwich options.  But if you find yourself at a Tim Horton's for supper, with no where else to go, the Pizza is a tolerable option.

Thanks for taking the dive for us 👍
Civis Romanus Sum

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on April 17, 2024, 02:30:54 PMHe no doubt knows more then I don't. But I dont see how this effects individual foreign investment. We have tax treaties, and foreigners only pay a certain percentage here (and the rest of their tax at the rate of their home countries rate). Wont effect their taxes. And citizens are still going to invest since CG is still a better return then most other incomes.

Great - so the $19 billion is coming from Canadian small and medium businesses then?