News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Really sad story - 16 year old boy killed himself after being blackmailed over nudes. It looks like through a series of VPNs and probably from Nigeria which is kind of crazy of some kid in suburban South London being blackmailed from another continent :(
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/26/golden-boy-16-killed-himself-after-being-blackmailed-over-nude-photos
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Similar thing happened in Canada recently. Turn-around to suicide was something like 2 hours, IIRC.

And yeah, the Nigeria based blackmail of teenage boys seems to be pretty organized these days.

Syt

Meanwhile in Australia:

:ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

They've never really recovered from losing that war against the emus.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Cassowaries are no joke.  They will kill a human with no trouble at all.  They are essentially raptors that survived the great die off.

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2024, 01:57:23 PMThey've never really recovered from losing that war against the emus.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

Germany arrested a Red Army Faction terrorist today who had been searched for more than thirty years. She lived in the same apartment in central Berlin for the last twenty years tutoring students in maths.  :lol: Oh, and committing armed robbery occasionally to finance her life off the grid. That's actually what she will be indicted for as her terrorism has passed the statute of limitations.

Syt

I feel personally attacked.  :ph34r:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Contests were a lot simpler back in the day.

Though I kind of want to know what the winning entry ended up being. And if someone entered "Bready McBreadface."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on February 27, 2024, 03:26:30 PMGermany arrested a Red Army Faction terrorist today who had been searched for more than thirty years. She lived in the same apartment in central Berlin for the last twenty years tutoring students in maths.  :lol: Oh, and committing armed robbery occasionally to finance her life off the grid. That's actually what she will be indicted for as her terrorism has passed the statute of limitations.

Sounds like there could be a film plot in there.
Most wanted terrorist just...going about life and making no secret of it but nothing ever happening.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

My oldest school's (and youngest in 2025 also where my gf and I went) is looking for a new sports team nickname.

The translated choices are :

Hurricanes
Boreal(s)
Lynx
Cyclones
Patriots
Conquerors

Previous name was the Wolves.

My kids and gf voted for Lynx. I voted for Boreal.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 29, 2024, 08:22:49 AMWhy change?

Laval's public school are moving to having secondary 1 through 5 in each school from having school duos doing all years together. They usually split 1-2 and 3-4-5. The 3-4-5 schools are retaining the current names.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Write in vote for wolverines.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████