News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I think it's less unseriousness that's the risk but that it's clearly planned - everyone with the line and the merch ready to go. It's a stunt.

It's difficult for a leader of the opposition to try and set the agenda and all they've got is the media and stunts help. Plus as BBoy says the media will be wanting to work out how to trip him up - as you say, it's a good schtick but it is a schtick. I think, to nick Paul Keating's line, do too many stunts and have too obvious a schtick and before long it looks like you're all tip and no iceberg.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

I saw some tweets suggesting Poilievre gave a pretty weak statement on Navalny's death.  Plus of course there was the vote against the Ukraine trade deal.

Mark my words internet - if the Conservatives go anti-Ukraine that absolutely is the one issue I will be a single issue voter on.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 16, 2024, 05:15:59 PMI saw some tweets suggesting Poilievre gave a pretty weak statement on Navalny's death.  Plus of course there was the vote against the Ukraine trade deal.

Mark my words internet - if the Conservatives go anti-Ukraine that absolutely is the one issue I will be a single issue voter on.

Respect.

I hope that you will not have cause to vote against the Conservatives on those grounds.

EDIT: maybe you should let your local Conservative Party know, and encourage others to do so as well.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on February 16, 2024, 05:15:59 PMI saw some tweets suggesting Poilievre gave a pretty weak statement on Navalny's death.  Plus of course there was the vote against the Ukraine trade deal.

If they keep taking cues from the states it's a definite possibility. Guess the NDP just found a new champion :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 16, 2024, 01:13:29 PMAnd Viper - I don't know what to make of your assessment where you A: write off anglo-Quebecers like Mulroney and Martin as not being francophone, then B: say that all the francophone Quebecers secretly all hate french speakers.
Martin is Franco-Ontarian, not Québécois.  He was born in Windsor and practiced law in Ontario before he came to the head of Canada steamship lines.  He studied at University of Toronto, in English.  His father was born in Ontario, but raised in Quebec.  I didn't say he wasn't francophone, I said he wasn't from Quebec.

Mulroney is a bilingual Anglo-Québécois, even though he always presented himself in politics as the "little guy from Baie-Comeau".  French isn't his first language.  But he later studied law in French, at Laval University.
You can read it here:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Mulroney
" Anglo-Québécois, il commence sa carrière d'avocat en 1964 "
"English-Quebecer, he began his lawyer career in 1964[...]".

Might has well say we had too many lawyers for Prime Ministers and politicians, that's just about as true. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2024, 03:09:21 PMIt reminds people that the Conservatives are led by people who have never done anything in life other than being politicians.
Contrary to the career achievements of many Liberal politicians, like Justin Trudeau, Mélanie Joly, Pablo Rodriguez, Dominic Leblanc, or even Seamus O'Regan who only made a short stint in the media in between political assignments? :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Jacob

Related tangent - something I wanted to ask our French-Canadian and Quebecois friends...

Among Francophones Canadians, who are generally included when the term "Quebecois" is used?

Is it:
  • ... basically everyone who resides in Quebec, whatever their language, ethnic background, or place of birth?
  • ... pure laine folks and those who could be mistaken for them (I guess that'd be mostly white Francophones with the right kind of accents)? (And is pure laine a neutral term or one that is widely considered "highly problematic"?)
  • ... any Francophone resident of Quebec who've put down enough roots (i.e. immigrants who speak French are included in the term).
  • ... some other criteria?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 16, 2024, 04:36:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2024, 03:09:21 PMIt reminds people that the Conservatives are led by people who have never done anything in life other than being politicians.  That sort of behaviour would not be acceptable in any board room, factory floor or office space.  But for some reason the Conservatives think this kind of juvenile behaviour makes them look good.

Got to question the maturity of the person who says he is ready to be the Prime Minister when he does something a high school student should be ashamed of.

I think you're holding Poilievre to some kind of impossible standard.

Even well before Trump - people don't want a politician who is at home in a board room.  They want someone who acts like they do.  Think why Doug Ford is popular, or Ralph Klein before him.  I think even Trudeau had a kind of easy charm about him early on (and one I think he's lost, by the way).

I don't think it's asking too much to not act like a silly prat.

I would be a lot more forgiving if this was an off-the-cuff from remark.  But this was clearly planned. And that's the thing that really is stupid about it. This was not a good plan.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2024, 07:27:04 PMRelated tangent - something I wanted to ask our French-Canadian and Quebecois friends...

Among Francophones Canadians, who are generally included when the term "Quebecois" is used?

Is it:
  • ... basically everyone who resides in Quebec, whatever their language, ethnic background, or place of birth?
  • ... pure laine folks and those who could be mistaken for them (I guess that'd be mostly white Francophones with the right kind of accents)? (And is pure laine a neutral term or one that is widely considered "highly problematic"?)
  • ... any Francophone resident of Quebec who've put down enough roots (i.e. immigrants who speak French are included in the term).

Point 1 is how I handle it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2024, 07:27:04 PMRelated tangent - something I wanted to ask our French-Canadian and Quebecois friends...

Is it:

Point 1 is basically how everyone but fringe groups handles it.

Of note, some Anglo-Québécois, a minority, but a sizable one, still reject the notion they are Québécois.   Based on various opinion polls, it's not even a question of being "Canadian first".  Some recent immigrants too, but only a fraction.  It's almost an insult.

Jacob

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 16, 2024, 07:24:18 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2024, 03:09:21 PMIt reminds people that the Conservatives are led by people who have never done anything in life other than being politicians.
Contrary to the career achievements of many Liberal politicians, like Justin Trudeau, Mélanie Joly, Pablo Rodriguez, Dominic Leblanc, or even Seamus O'Regan who only made a short stint in the media in between political assignments? :)

I'm not sure why you keep responding to my posts thinking that I'm a liberal supporter.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2024, 09:29:31 AM

I'm not sure why you keep responding to my posts thinking that I'm a liberal supporter.

It doesn't really matter.  There are only 2 political parties who could reasonably take and hold power at the next election.

I find this line of criticism for an established political party to be unfair.

These two political parties have been there since the Confederation was formed, and even before.  Of course they will have people who've only done politics in all their life.

Would be me comfortable wit Maxime Bernier's party?  There are a lot of people there who are not coming from politics. ;)

I don't see that as a problem.

I would prefer a government ran by people coming from the SMB sector rather than anything else, but I think it needs a well mixed coalition of people.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 18, 2024, 07:40:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2024, 09:29:31 AM

It doesn't really matter.  There are only 2 political parties who could reasonably take and hold power at the next election.

I find this line of criticism for an established political party to be unfair.

These two political parties have been there since the Confederation was formed, and even before.  Of course they will have people who've only done politics in all their life.

Would be me comfortable wit Maxime Bernier's party?  There are a lot of people there who are not coming from politics. ;)

I don't see that as a problem.

I would prefer a government ran by people coming from the SMB sector rather than anything else, but I think it needs a well mixed coalition of people.

I think it demonstrates how diminished or political class has become.  In my youth the backbenches of both parties were filled with well educated and experienced people.