News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2024, 01:41:16 PMJAcob - while I find some value in putting my own political thoughts down on "paper", you're the only one who has shown some interest in what's going on in Alberta politics.  If you aren't interested in this kind of stuff please let me know.

Please continue.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Yeah I enjoy reading even if I don't engage :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2024, 01:41:16 PMJAcob - while I find some value in putting my own political thoughts down on "paper", you're the only one who has shown some interest in what's going on in Alberta politics.  If you aren't interested in this kind of stuff please let me know.

I am totally interested, and I appreciate your insight :cheers: :hug:

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

You have a whole secret fan club  :lol:

HVC

Or some people took BBs know thy enemy advice to heart :ph34r: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josephus

I'm interested. I just have nothing to add cause I know very little, but I always count on you for Alberta analysis.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Pierre Poilievre calls the mayors of Montreal, Quebec City "incompetent" over a slowdown in now home construction:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/poilievre-plante-marchand-social-media-housing-1.7087880

So normally Federal politicians attacking Quebec politicians is a losing move - but perhaps in this case it's different since he's pointing to a pretty specific metric, on a topic key to the Conservative election messaging?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

He just sound petulant.

Also his plan

Quote"The federal money for cities will be tied to the number of houses and apartments that are built when I become PM," Poilievre added, in reference to the housing plan he unveiled last September.

goes against

Quote"Before calling anyone 'incompetent,' Mr. Poilievre should understand that in Quebec, federal funding for housing does not go through the cities," the Montreal mayor wrote in her post, adding that he should understand the funding mechanisms for each province.

Makes him sound uninformed.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on January 18, 2024, 05:04:01 PMHe just sound petulant.

Also his plan

Quote"The federal money for cities will be tied to the number of houses and apartments that are built when I become PM," Poilievre added, in reference to the housing plan he unveiled last September.

goes against

Quote"Before calling anyone 'incompetent,' Mr. Poilievre should understand that in Quebec, federal funding for housing does not go through the cities," the Montreal mayor wrote in her post, adding that he should understand the funding mechanisms for each province.

Makes him sound uninformed.

I don't see a contradiction between the two quotes.

HVC

Tying money to a city over funding they don't control doesn't sound like a good policy to me. You could make an argument for tying funding to the province (though I don't know if that's legal, what with transfers and all that). You're endorsing punishing a city over the actions of the province. 

*edit* "you're" being Poilievre, not BB

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on January 18, 2024, 05:31:21 PMTying money to a city over funding they don't control doesn't sound like a good policy to me. You could make an argument for tying funding to the province (though I don't know if that's legal, what with transfers and all that). You're endorsing punishing a city over the actions of the province. 

Well funding is the only leverage the Feds have.

The Conservatives are promising that federal housing funding will be tied to housing starts.  More housing means more funding, less housing means less funding.

The number of housing starts is very much something a city can influence.  Now putting the province in the middle does muddy the accountability the Conservatives are looking for, but certainly doesn't make it illegal.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2024, 05:36:23 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 18, 2024, 05:31:21 PMTying money to a city over funding they don't control doesn't sound like a good policy to me. You could make an argument for tying funding to the province (though I don't know if that's legal, what with transfers and all that). You're endorsing punishing a city over the actions of the province. 

Well funding is the only leverage the Feds have.

The Conservatives are promising that federal housing funding will be tied to housing starts.  More housing means more funding, less housing means less funding.

The number of housing starts is very much something a city can influence.  Now putting the province in the middle does muddy the accountability the Conservatives are looking for, but certainly doesn't make it illegal.

You may be missing the point. The article you linked quoted PP as saying that Trudeau was giving money to the cities within Quebec. That was likely the bit the mayors in Quebec were commenting on. The federal government does not give any funding to cities within Quebec. The article you linked also went on to quote the Quebec mayors suggesting that PP's ignorance of how cities in Quebec are funded disqualifies him from being Prime Minister.