Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Oexmelin

My vague sense, based on teaching college students for some time now, is that young people now seem less "ordinary adventurous" than, say, 20 years ago. (There was then, and remains now, all sorts of young people who go off the beaten path, even if the nature of the beaten path has changed over the years). If they travel, they'd rather travel in more comfortable lodgings, or pre-arranged packages - more "carry-on travel" than "backpack travel". Kids with greater means leave after having secured a job teaching English somewhere. Kids with less means use a big part of their gap years working to pay a few months of travel.

Another vague sense I have is that, back in the days, one got stories of backpack travel through friends, and friends of friends. A lot of the kids now get a lot more of those stories from Instagram, which produces a weird aspirational glam (i.e., expensive) backpacking tourism. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Tamas

The conspiracy theory that enrages me the most is the 15 minutes city thing. Why on EARTH would it hurt anyone to have basic amenities within walking distance for everyone? As far as I know no coercion to stay within your walking limits was ever mentioned for these plans. It's just the clearest showcase of the stupidity of these people, who consider themselves smart and above the sheep being the sheep themselves, panicking and outraging on the slightest cue.

And since the Uxbridge victory based on people not wanting to pay extra taxes (no wonder Labour did not see that one coming, what a unique political concept), catering for these stupidest morons have become government policy: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/10/shift-from-15-minute-cities-in-england-partly-due-to-conspiracy-theories

But then, comes the Oxford council to the rescue, with their low traffic zones to be trialed. Their people have been receiving death threats from the 15-minutes truthers which is obviously unacceptable. But, the council proceeds to dismiss fears: https://www.oxford.gov.uk/news/article/2332/joint_statement_from_oxfordshire_county_council_and_oxford_city_council_on_oxford_s_traffic_filters

QuoteWill the Oxford traffic filters be physical barriers?
No.

Oxfordshire County Council, supported by Oxford City Council, is proposing to install traffic filters as a trial on six roads in Oxford. The trial is currently planned to begin in 2024.

The traffic filters are not physical barriers of any kind and will not be physical road closures. They are simply traffic cameras that can read number plates.

If a vehicle passes through the filter at certain times of the day, the camera will read the number plate and (if you do not have an exemption or a residents' permit) you will receive a fine in the post. 

No physical barriers, you just have to pay to use that street. Nothing to worry about, see!

And, let's say you have legit excuses (apart from paying local and car taxes) to drive on those streets. That's alright, you can REQUEST A PERMIT. And if you are an Oxford resident, you just need to keep an eye out and mark the numbers you drive those streets, because you are graciously allowed so, 25 times per year:

QuoteBuses and taxis will be able to pass through the traffic filters freely at all times, people can walk or cycle through them at all times, and there will be exemptions and permits for blue badge holders, emergency services, health workers and both professional and non-professional care workers. People receiving frequent hospital treatments will also be eligible to drive through the filters.

Oxford residents (and residents of some surrounding villages) will be able to apply for a permit to drive through the filters on up to 100 days a year. Residents living in the rest of Oxfordshire will be able to apply for a permit to drive through the filter on up to 25 days a year. 

As a bonus, though, taxis can use them freely, so the well-off who can afford them, and the scummiest profession (taxi drivers) shan't be hindranced by this limitation imposed on the plebs.

Josquius

Curious you're upset at their explanation. It all sounds reasonable to me and I don't see how this explanation even if you disagree with it is somehow bad for dismissing the lunatic conspiracies.

Physical vs. non-physical barriers is a interesting debate. A common bad faith argument opponents of low traffic neighbourhoods use is 'what about the emergency services'- physical barriers meaning a fire engine can't get through just as much as a car. 
But on the other hand an actual physical barrier does offer a much bigger sense of security someone who doesn't know/care about the rules won't just come speeding through. It allows streets to be more fully reclaimed by people.

Its pretty standard that bus lanes allow taxis to use them. The logic is pretty sound. Where your personal car drives you to your destination then sits in the road for a few hours doing nothing but taking space, a taxi is always on the go and the same vehicle provides journeys for dozens of people without them all needing their own personal car.
Taxis are far from just something for the well off. Lots of not especially rich pensioners rely on taxis to get around- the richer ones usually keep their car.

The BBC did a documentary about the Oxford proposals some time ago and it was pretty painful how they seemingly deliberately just didn't get it. They showed a journey from one spot just east of the city centre to the train station and how previously taking 10 minutes it would now take half an hour via the ring road, and all that pollution!....zero consideration of how people aren't shackled to their car and other transport options do exist. How if you're going to be taking a train then you probably wouldn't want to be taking your car to the train station anyway.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I guess one of my problems  is that it requires a lot of bureaucracy just to be able to drive on the street you need to drive on. I came here from eastern Europe, you cannot possibly have an understanding of how much easier life is without hostile bureaucracy seething into everything.

crazy canuck

Why do you stay?

Probably has something to do with the fact that the governmental systems you hate so much actually create a pretty good quality of life.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on January 10, 2024, 08:02:42 AMI guess one of my problems  is that it requires a lot of bureaucracy just to be able to drive on the street you need to drive on. I came here from eastern Europe, you cannot possibly have an understanding of how much easier life is without hostile bureaucracy seething into everything.

To be fair there's already quite a lot of bureaucracy for driving. And its very justified I'd say. You don't want any random idiot to be allowed to race around an untraceable bag of bolts at 100mph.

There are valid questions about this all of course. How hard will this registration be. Why can't they just link up with the existing vehicle registration system to automatically register local people and send them letters about relevant stuff.
Also I would suspect this isn't going to go from 0 to 100 and there will be leeway in the early days. But you never know.

██████
██████
██████

Gups

In my London Borough (one of the most left-wing areas in the UK) The low traffic neighbourhoods (LTNs) are highly controversial with a lot of very well-organisation opposition reaching way beyond the conspiracy theorists. One of the biggest issues is that it increases congestions on the roads which can still be used - that certainly seems to be the case. Personally as someone who cycles way more than he drives, I quite like them but can certainly understand the opposition.

LTNs are completely different to the 15 minute city approach unless you buy into a conspiracy. LTNs are about stopping people from using rat runs/shortcuts, improving road safety and reducing pollution. The 15 minute city is about ensuring basic services/amenities (school, healthcare, green space) are accessible within a 15 minute bike ride or bus journey

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on January 10, 2024, 03:26:49 AMThe conspiracy theory that enrages me the most is the 15 minutes city thing. Why on EARTH would it hurt anyone to have basic amenities within walking distance for everyone? As far as I know no coercion to stay within your walking limits was ever mentioned for these plans. It's just the clearest showcase of the stupidity of these people, who consider themselves smart and above the sheep being the sheep themselves, panicking and outraging on the slightest cue.

I have to agree with you.  The idea that I can walk to the grocery store for some basic amenities?  Teh horror!

And it's not so much the "15 minute cities" idea itself (though that is part of it), but that it's part of some nefarious UN agenda...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

You guys are in a different social media bubble.  I have never heard of this rant.

Gups

INcredibly our own Government (in power for 14 years) appears to be promoting the idea that the 15 minute city is a government conspiracy to control the population...(government in this case being local authorities)

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 10, 2024, 12:10:36 PMYou guys are in a different social media bubble.  I have never heard of this rant.

The Trumposphere have added 15 minute cities to the list of fearmongering projects in the same bucket as vaccines, mainstream media, gun control, trans people, pronouns, climate change, vehicles that don't use combustion engines, bicycles, education, etc.

It hasn't gotten as much traction as some of the other items, but once in a while you might see a sticker or a post ranting on the topic, so it's out there.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 10, 2024, 10:03:23 AMWhy do you stay?

Probably has something to do with the fact that the governmental systems you hate so much actually create a pretty good quality of life.

You completely misunderstood. It is Eastern Europe that is the paperwork hellhole, and the UK is the haven without it. It's not perfect (ID cards would make life considerably easier) but infinitely better. I don't want that to change. Even if it means voting without ID and by using a pencil.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2024, 12:54:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 10, 2024, 12:10:36 PMYou guys are in a different social media bubble.  I have never heard of this rant.

The Trumposphere have added 15 minute cities to the list of fearmongering projects in the same bucket as vaccines, mainstream media, gun control, trans people, pronouns, climate change, vehicles that don't use combustion engines, bicycles, education, etc.

It hasn't gotten as much traction as some of the other items, but once in a while you might see a sticker or a post ranting on the topic, so it's out there.

Thankfully my algorithm doesn't show me any of that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on January 10, 2024, 01:00:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 10, 2024, 10:03:23 AMWhy do you stay?

You completely misunderstood. It is Eastern Europe that is the paperwork hellhole, and the UK is the haven without it. It's not perfect (ID cards would make life considerably easier) but infinitely better. I don't want that to change. Even if it means voting without ID and by using a pencil.

Sorry, you are correct.  I did misunderstand.

Tamas

It's probably the weakest of the bunch as Jacob listed, but it's out there.