Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Gups

Yes, we define social housing as property owned by the state (in almost all case local authorities). These are at very low rents. Where vacancies occur they are filled by reference to need. Affordable housing is property owned by registered social landlords (equivalent to co-ops) with rents generally fixed by reference to a discount (generally 33%) against the open market rent. Hardly any new social housing is bult any more, it's almost all affordable housing. Most of it is bult by provate developers as part of a market scheme with the affordable units sold at cost to the resgistered social landlords.

Josquius

Traditionally owned by the state.
Post-she who shall not be named, increasingly social housing is owned by housing associations.

And what these are varies from full independent non-profits through to companies entirely owned by local councils because reasons.

Though I do think things are turning a corner on this one- I know Newcastle is looking at bringing its housing association back under direct control.

As to social housing and homelessness...pretty sure it has been proven to help. Finland's housing first model is pretty famous as a success story.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Not really. Housing associations haven't bought up social housing rather some local authorities have decided to set up new housing associations to manage their housing stock (usually subject to a vote by tenants). A good example is Polar Harca which manages most of what used to be Tower Hamlets housing stock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poplar_HARCA

This has nothing to to with right to buy or Thatcher.

mongers

Something positive, the new Charles III definitive coin designs are revealed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67091137

I like them, a lot.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

That's very different.  Interesting.

I wonder when we get new coins in Canada.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

I didn't expect such a full fundamental redesign. They seem alright. But yes. I don't use coins really.

I'd thought new 50ps were already done and being slowly released? - same design but with Charles.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Josquius on October 12, 2023, 02:26:05 PMI didn't expect such a full fundamental redesign. They seem alright. But yes. I don't use coins really.

I'd thought new 50ps were already done and being slowly released? - same design but with Charles.

Those aren't definitives, the regular everyday coins due to go into circulation, the 50s are commemorative  of an event (coronation?)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Gups

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2023, 11:04:08 PMI think there's more than one usage of the term "social housing" in play there.

Providing single room occupancies and small apartments to a few hundred or maybe low thousand homeless and social vulnerable individuals such as drug addicts is definitely social housing. No doubt about it.

And it doesn't appear to have been a smashing success in combatting homelessness nor drug abuse (though I notice reporting on those issues have dropped significantly almost imediately after we got our new right wing mayor), that is very true. Likely you are correct that we also need hundreds of thousands if not millions of housing units that suits various parts of the middle class (North American definition).

If you look at housing in Singapore (77% of the population live in social housing) and Copenhagen (43% of housing is market rentals / privately owned, 20% is social housing, and 30% is private co-ops*)

*which I'd argue counts as social housing by most North American standards.

I agree with you that we need massive number of housing units of various sorts for  our growing population. Personally, I believe intelligent use of public funding and models other than standard home ownership can help us get there.

That is a fair point, but if we wanted to go that route, we needed to keep building units through the 70s until present rather than government wiping their hands of it in the 70s.

We are not going to get 3.5 more units of housing in 7 years through government construction alone.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on October 12, 2023, 02:36:40 AMYes, we define social housing as property owned by the state (in almost all case local authorities). These are at very low rents. Where vacancies occur they are filled by reference to need. Affordable housing is property owned by registered social landlords (equivalent to co-ops) with rents generally fixed by reference to a discount (generally 33%) against the open market rent. Hardly any new social housing is bult any more, it's almost all affordable housing. Most of it is bult by provate developers as part of a market scheme with the affordable units sold at cost to the resgistered social landlords.

It is similar here, except the affordable housing is sold to qualified owners at reduced rates from the rest of the development. 

Governments of all strips are attempting to reduce the delays which occur in the construction process due to by-law and inspection requirements.

But likely what is going to be needed is some form of cheap money financing scheme to encourage more builders to build more. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on October 12, 2023, 02:07:26 PMSomething positive, the new Charles III definitive coin designs are revealed:
[...]
I really like them and this feels very King Charles:
Quote1p: A hazel dormouse, which has seen its population halve since 2007
    2p: A red squirrel, which is expected to blend into the colour of the copper coin
    5p: An oak tree leaf, signifying its role as a rich habitat for biodiversity in woodland areas and an association with monarchy of the past
    10p: The capercaillie - the world's largest grouse - found in a small part of Scotland and threatened with extinction
    20p: A puffin
    50p: The Atlantic salmon, which is at threat from river pollution and habitat loss
    £1: Bees
    £2: National flowers - a rose for England, a daffodil for Wales, a thistle for Scotland and a shamrock for Northern Ireland

QuoteYes, we define social housing as property owned by the state (in almost all case local authorities). These are at very low rents. Where vacancies occur they are filled by reference to need. Affordable housing is property owned by registered social landlords (equivalent to co-ops) with rents generally fixed by reference to a discount (generally 33%) against the open market rent. Hardly any new social housing is bult any more, it's almost all affordable housing. Most of it is bult by provate developers as part of a market scheme with the affordable units sold at cost to the resgistered social landlords.
I think it's if you include both that social housing is a fairl big part of the housing market in the UK:

I think roughly 60% are owner-occupiers (some with mortgage), 20% private rental and 20% social/non market rate rental.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2023, 02:41:16 PMThat is a fair point, but if we wanted to go that route, we needed to keep building units through the 70s until present rather than government wiping their hands of it in the 70s.

We are not going to get 3.5 more units of housing in 7 years through government construction alone.

Yeah I expect that no single approach is going to cover the gap in a reasonable amount of time.

Tonitrus

Quote from: mongers on October 12, 2023, 02:07:26 PMSomething positive, the new Charles III definitive coin designs are revealed:

Where's his head? :hmm:

Or is it just assumed to be on the other side/yet unrevealed?

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 12, 2023, 02:53:43 PMI think roughly 60% are owner-occupiers (some with mortgage), 20% private rental and 20% social/non market rate rental.

I don't think those which are owner-occupied (i.e right to buy) would be included as part of the socially rented sector. They are simply private housing stocked. I'm not sure what category shared ownership properties (where equity is shared by occupier and landlord) would fall in though.

Josquius

When I worked at a housing association they certainly counted shared ownership as social housing- the part that you don't own and pay rent on being under social housing terms.
██████
██████
██████