Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2023, 04:09:21 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 23, 2023, 04:08:14 PMMy guess would be a helicopter crash in Africa, on my way out I'd just seen a news strapline saying Prizgoshin was dead and I've not read this thread either.

Alright, let us know when you've read the thread :hug:

Well maybe it's a Putin powerplay to reassert some authority.

I'd guess the Putin regime will now go after most other Prizgoshin associates and commanders?

Pity really, not for the guy, but because he was a significant source of instability threatening Putin.

Gotta hope somewhere there's a bunch of Wagner loyalist who still hold some respect for him and will now attempt to get Putin or attack Russian state institutions?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Josquius on August 23, 2023, 02:46:22 PMWhat is interesting about the assassination is that they didn't even try the "woops fell out of a window" bit. It was full on, there's his plane, shoot it with our military. No pretending even in the lazy Russian manner.
The trend in Russia over time has been towards a more brazen exercise of extrajudicial power, which accelerated with the war.  I think part of it was an intentional drift towards heavier authoritarianism, but part of it is also just not giving a shit anymore after decades of impunity.  The fact that Russia now almost openly has warlords is a consequence of this more catastrophic breakdown of the rule of law.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2023, 04:08:44 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2023, 04:04:52 PMThere was one obvious heir, but he was on the same plane.  :hmm:

I don't know who you're talking about, but maybe there's no point learning about the guy now he's dead.
This guy, feel like we've missed the chance for a kinder, gentler Wagner:

Surovikin also removed as head of Russia's aerospace forces.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 23, 2023, 04:13:28 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2023, 04:04:52 PMThere was one obvious heir, but he was on the same plane.  :hmm:

I don't know who you're talking about, but maybe there's no point learning about the guy now he's dead.

I think he's talking about the Nazi guy? The one with all the swastikas and ss-runes tattooed on him?
It's the first actualy denazification the Russians have done in this war.
Yes, Utkin. He was the face and chest of Wagner long before Prigozhin became widely known.

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 23, 2023, 04:25:09 PMSurovikin also removed as head of Russia's aerospace forces.

Guess he missed his flight.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2023, 04:26:37 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 23, 2023, 04:25:09 PMSurovikin also removed as head of Russia's aerospace forces.

Guess he missed his flight.
The new guy seems to have done a good job not missing it.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2023, 04:26:29 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 23, 2023, 04:13:28 PM

I think he's talking about the Nazi guy? The one with all the swastikas and ss-runes tattooed on him?
It's the first actualy denazification the Russians have done in this war.
Yes, Utkin. He was the face and chest of Wagner long before Prigozhin' became widely known.

Of the ten killed in the crash, seven have now been named including Wagner group commander Dmitry Utkin.

Sad for the three crew, who were perhaps just doing their job.

edit:
Eight bodies now found in the wreckage, perhaps the a bomb as onboard and rather close to the two main victims, or maybe there's a remote chance Prigozhin was wearing a parachute and had a chance to use it???

Josquius

Before today I'd been reading rumours Mr Wagner had alreasy been killed. He vanished after the aborted coup. Lots of talk he took the hit which is why priggy lived free.
Guess not.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on August 23, 2023, 04:52:16 PMBefore today I'd been reading rumours Mr Wagner had always been killed. He vanished after the aborted coup. Lots of talk he took the hit which is why priggy lived free.
Guess not.

Who is Mr. Wagner?

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on August 23, 2023, 05:11:51 PM
Quote from: Josquius on August 23, 2023, 04:52:16 PMBefore today I'd been reading rumours Mr Wagner had always been killed. He vanished after the aborted coup. Lots of talk he took the hit which is why priggy lived free.
Guess not.

Who is Mr. Wagner?

That is now the sixty-four thousand dollar question.

FunkMonk

The "Oh no, anyway" meme is pretty appropriate here
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

Guess not.

Who is Mr. Wagner?

Usually it refers to Utkin but I'm guessing Josq was referring to Pringle.

I am flabbergasted at this turn of event. I really thought that Pringle had won by not actually going thru with his coup.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Guess not.

Who is Mr. Wagner?

A German composer (1813-1883).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Guess not.

Who is Mr. Wagner?

Utkin.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Meanwhile back in the actual war...

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/20847

Looks like a breakthrough might be on?

As I read things the subsequent Russian defensive lines are harder however it has largely been minefields that was slowing them down and retreating Russians might well have done some clearances/identified paths for the Ukrainians.
Time for cautious optimism?
██████
██████
██████