News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 03, 2023, 04:17:09 PMIsn't it at least possible that the USSC runs out the clock, until the VP acting as President issues a presidential pardon?

I don't think you need to get to the USSC, or the VP.

If Trump wins, he arguably has the power to A: Order the DOJ to cease any ongoing prosecutions of him, and B: pardon himself.  Both would lead to constitutional crises, but what does Trump care?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

At that point democracy in the US is dead and replaced by totalitarian rule.

So I am not sure the finer points will matter.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2023, 04:24:41 PMAt that point democracy in the US is dead and replaced by totalitarian rule.

Sounds like a Republican talking point about Dictatir Joe.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on August 03, 2023, 03:05:03 PMYour statement was:

Quote from: grumblerNot that any legal rulings will stand in the way of the USSC overturning that clause if it benefits Trump.

LIke I said - you can disagree with Kavanaugh, Coney-Barrett on the extent of executive privilege, but I would reject the notion that the USSC conservative majority will automatically vote in favour of Trump's interests.

Like I said: not that any legal rulings will stand in the way of the USSC overturning that clause if it benefits Trump.  I never said that "the USSC conservative majority will automatically vote in favour of Trump's interests" so your rejection does not contradict my statement at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2023, 04:35:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2023, 04:24:41 PMAt that point democracy in the US is dead and replaced by totalitarian rule.

Sounds like a Republican talking point about Dictatir Joe.

Makes me more concerned given their penchant for accusing the Dems of the very thing they want to do

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2023, 05:34:54 PMMakes me more concerned given their penchant for accusing the Dems of the very thing they want to do

Indeed.

The Minsky Moment

Looking strictly in terms of legal jeopardy, the documents case poses great difficulties for Trump because the evidence appears to be devastating and there seems to be no viable legal defense.  Certainly no one in the Trump camp has raised one.  The best that can be said in Trump is he got a favorable judicial draw and venue.

Although the evidence in this Jan 6 case is also quite impressive, the legal theories are not all as solid.  The US code provisions at issue are written generally and there isn't much direct precedent for many of the unusual and specific facts of this case.  So one can expect that the main line of defense is going to be challenging whether the conduct alleged constitutes a crime, as well as exploring issues of intent and a potential advice of counsel defense.  Such questions of law are effective grounds for appeal, and why I think this case is a good candidate for an eventual hearing by the Supreme Court.

One exception to the above analysis is the Raffensperger call.  A reasonable juror could conceivably interpret that exchange in context as a demand to fraudulently add votes on a threat to bring bogus criminal charges if the demand were rejected.  That scenario is unquestionably a criminal act, and on that allegation, the defense will have to be more in the nature of a traditional "reasonable doubt" defense as to meaning and intent.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Nothing will happen.
Nothing, except his inauguration.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 06, 2023, 09:31:37 PMNothing will happen.
The average election since the Dobbs decision has been a 5-10 shift to the left compared to expectations. He's the person responsible for that decision and it's going to sink him.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

I think that definitely helped in tamping down the expectations for the mid-terms...but for '24, I have the feels that the Trump/GOP electorate is going to be more energized, in terms of turn out, than their opponents.

Richard Hakluyt

It will be the biggest and best inauguration ever.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 06, 2023, 11:41:57 PMI think that definitely helped in tamping down the expectations for the mid-terms...but for '24, I have the feels that the Trump/GOP electorate is going to be more energized, in terms of turn out, than their opponents.

20 million elderly voters have died since 2016 and because of Covid these leaned further right than the general elderly population. 32 million voters turned 18 since 2016.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 06, 2023, 09:31:37 PMNothing will happen.

You wisely did not mention the need to win an election first.

Iormlund

The jury has to be unanimous to convict, right?

Could the judge (legally) disqualify every potential juror who has ever been a registered voter or member of a party?