News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on August 24, 2023, 10:00:55 PMLooks like he's scheming to steal Christmas

Yeah, he's got the Grinch look down pat.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Trump and others are moving to severe their trail from Chesbro's, but how does that work with a RICO trial? If Chesbro gets convicted before them, aren't they screwed when they come to trial?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-trial-date-fulton-county-georgia-fani-willis-proposal-october-23/

QuoteA Georgia judge on Thursday signed off on a quick turnaround to the start of the trial for Kenneth Chesebro, one of 18 defendants charged alongside former President Donald Trump in connection with alleged efforts to overturn the state's 2020 election results.

The ruling, scheduling an Oct. 23 start to Chesebro's trial, came just after Trump's newly appointed attorney said he would move to sever the former president's case from Chesebro or any other defendant who sought an expedited timeline.

Earlier Thursday, Fani Willis, the district attorney in Fulton County, Georgia, asked Judge Scott McAfee to set Oct. 23 as the start of the trial for all defendants. Her office's request came after Chesebro had demanded a speedy trial, which under Georgia law gave Willis' office until the end of October to begin the case.

Willis previously proposed that the trial should start for all 19 defendants on March 4, 2024.

McAfee approved the Oct. 23 trial date for Chesebro only, specifying that the accelerated timeline for the trial and pretrial proceedings "do[es] not apply to any co-defendant."

The Oct. 23 date was sure to elicit pushback from more defendants given the complexity of the case and the mountains of evidence that defense teams are entitled to review before any trial begins. In each of the three other cases in which Trump faces charges, his attorneys have asked for trials to be delayed beyond the presidential election next November.

It's unclear when McAfee might decide on a trial schedule for the remaining defendants.

Chesebro, an attorney who supported Trump, filed a "demand for speedy trial" on Aug. 23.

"Without waiving any objection as to the sufficiency of defendant Kenneth John Chesebro's filing, the state requests that this court specifically set the trial in this case to commence on October 23, 2023," Willis wrote in response.

Scott Grubman, an attorney for Chesebro, said in a statement that his client "will be prepared to move forward with trial for whatever date the Court ultimately sets." In an earlier statement, Grubman said Chesebro "maintains his innocence and remains confident as the legal process continues."

Trump and 18 of his associates were indicted on racketeering, election fraud and other charges last week related to alleged attempts to overturn the state's 2020 election results.

The new proposed trial date comes as defendants in the case, including former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, continue to turn themselves in ahead of a noon Friday deadline to surrender. Trump is expected to arrive in Fulton County for processing on Thursday evening and has denied all wrongdoing. Giuliani has also maintained his innocence.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 21, 2023, 11:33:23 PM:hmm:

Wise move to not fly your private plane to Russia, all things considered.  :hmm:

Syt

So about Trump's bail:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/24/politics/donald-trump-surrender-fulton-county-jail-criminal-case/index.html

QuoteTrump agreed to a $200,000 bond and other release conditions, including not using social media to target the co-defendants and witnesses in the case.

Trump covered the cost of his $200,000 bond by putting 10% toward it and working with a local Atlanta bonding company called Foster Bail Bonds LLC, sources told CNN.

Not enough cash on hand, or finding new ways to borrow money from others and then just not paying back? :hmm:

His file lists him as 6'3 and 215 lbs.

The internet has doubts. :P

Meanwhile Trump/Musk have boasted on social media that the Trump/Tucker interview has well over 200,000,000 views.

Keep in mind that Musk revised how views work - apparently it's actually impressions, i.e. every time the video it shows up on someone's screen it counts as a view, even if just scrolling past. And if it shows up for you multiple times it counts as separate views (i.e. not how many unique users the video was exposed to - normally you're far more interested in how many unique users saw your content, and for how long ... ).

Someone checked on a third party Twitter app that is still working and uses the site's old view count, and it comes in at less than 10% the "official" numbers. Keep in mind the old way was counting any time someone saw a video for more than 2 seconds it counts as view - i.e. if you have autoplay enabled (what's wrong with you, you monster??) and scroll past it might still count as a view, and again it counts as multiple views if you the same user sees the same two seconds multiple times.

There's a reason why YouTube's algorithm (and YouTube content creators and - very importantly - advertisers and sponsors) is much more interested in numbers of unique viewers, average view time (in absolute numbers and percent of total video), interactions (comment/like/dislike/subcribe), etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

:lol:

Thought he didn't seem that tall, and yep, definitely under reporting weight if he is that tall.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 24, 2023, 11:23:13 PMTrump and others are moving to severe their trail from Chesbro's, but how does that work with a RICO trial? If Chesbro gets convicted before them, aren't they screwed when they come to trial?

No if other severed defendants are convicted, it has no direct impact on Trump's case; the government still has to start from scratch and prove every element.  However, sometimes when a severed defendant gets an early conviction, it encourages other defendants to do deals and testify against the main target.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Today really highlights massive difference between UK v US - as here we'd basically all have to stop talking about Trump and we'd have lawyers online earnestly reminding us that we can commit contempt of court even in our flighty social media posts :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

So...Trump's team are pushing to delay the trial until 2026.
Will "the guy is basically 100. He won't live that long" (or along those lines) be a valid argument we see against this?
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

I'm just glad we finally have an answer to the question I posed when I created this thread.

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Oh, whoops, I created the BIDEN thread. :Embarrass:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2023, 11:33:19 AMSarah Palin is predicting civil war.

Seems like there's already a cold civil war, with Trump and allies attacking American democracy and institutions. It's just a matter of whether America defends itself.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2023, 11:33:19 AMSarah Palin is predicting civil war.

Oh good. That pretty much guarantees there won't be one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Is she predicting it, or threatening it? :hmm: