News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 14, 2023, 08:49:26 AMSeparately I see that the studios offered a deal including scanning background actors and paying them for a days work, but then owning the image rights forever with no obligation to get the actor's consent or pay them for re-use. Impossible to imagine why they're strking :lol: :blink:

Yeah real dystopian, Black Mirror style shit there.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 14, 2023, 08:49:26 AM:lol: I absolutely loved him in Halt and Catch Fire which I think is one of the best TV series in the last few decades but doesn't pop up in the "prestige TV" chat. I think the first season is a bit too derivative of Mad Men but the whole series is incredible - especially the ending.

Halt and catch fire was incredibly good. Lee Pace is magnetic, the MVP in a stellar cast.

celedhring

Noticed John Wick 4 at Amazon Prime Video. Start playing it, see that it runs for nearly 3 hours!!!! What the hell?

I mean, the original clocked at a lean and mean 100 minutes... It's an action flick based on cool stunts and some silly mythology, not War & Peace.

Duque de Bragança

John Wick has to visit different neighbourhoods of Paris. It takes some time.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2023, 06:10:18 AMJohn Wick has to visit different neighbourhoods of Paris. It takes some time.  :P

Just got to that part, you weren't joking. Weird how they rip off The Warriors with the DJ broadcasting Wick's movements to the city's thugs.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2023, 08:29:55 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2023, 06:10:18 AMJohn Wick has to visit different neighbourhoods of Paris. It takes some time.  :P

Just got to that part, you weren't joking. Weird how they rip off The Warriors with the DJ broadcasting Wick's movements to the city's thugs.

It's not a rip off, it's a tribute to the Warriors.  :P

mongers

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

It's because of those darn protesters blockading roads everywhere  :mad:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Finished watching 'Breaking Bad', no real need to review it or say it was excellent.

I think it helped that I'd recently watched 'Better Call Saul' for the first time and followed it immediately with 'Breaking Bad', also for the first time of viewing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2023, 08:50:39 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2023, 08:29:55 AM

It's not a rip off, it's a tribute to the Warriors.  :P

Yeah, I mean, it's not like they don't pretend otherwise - I'd need to check the original but I swear some of the songs that play during that segment are borrowed from The Warriors too.

But it's the best bit of an otherwise blah movie (all action felt very same-ish to previous entries, and overall the movie is absurdly long for what it is), and they have to borrow another movie's gimmick for it.

garbon

I got my tickets to see Barbie this weekend. I wonder if I really want to see it vs the marketing has just been so ever present. Saw when googling the film it now shows graphic and Google turns pink.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

It's got Greta Gerwig directing it, writing alongside Noah Baumbach. Manufactured hype or not, it should be a worthy film.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on July 17, 2023, 10:26:38 AMIt's got Greta Gerwig directing it, writing alongside Noah Baumbach. Manufactured hype or not, it should be a worthy film.

Worthy film for whom?  :P

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on July 17, 2023, 10:26:38 AMIt's got Greta Gerwig directing it, writing alongside Noah Baumbach. Manufactured hype or not, it should be a worthy film.

:yes:

Even at his weirdest--White Noise--he's a fun watch.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Gups

Quote from: Habbaku on July 17, 2023, 11:44:15 AM

:yes:

Even at his weirdest--White Noise--he's a fun watch.

Hmm, I didn't enjoy that (and I liked the book a lot)