News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

It's better than the Crystal Skull abomination, at least less bad.  :P Even the CGI is better, specially in dark scenes. The rest, close-ups and bright scenes, not so much.
The CGI-rejuvenated Harrison Ford works more or less for the face. Still not a great fan of it, but I expected worse.

Probably too much fan-service and a bit derivative. For instance previous actors making an appearance not really needed by the scenario and not doing much. Or a cameo before getting killed.
Thomas Kretschmann has made quite a career as a nazi officer on movies.  :P

So don't pay too much to watch it on a big screen. It also pays to have lower expectations.
Of course, certain scenes such as car chases were designed with 4DX cinemas in mind.

For some reason, I understood more of the Ancient Greek (katharevousa/glorified demotic sounding?) than the Latin.  :hmm: Is it just me? I am much better at Latin than Ancient Greek (hardly studied Ancient Greek compared to Latin).

Deutsch ist außer Konkurrenz:D

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 03, 2023, 01:27:20 PMIndiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

It's better than the Crystal Skull abomination, at least less bad.  :P Even the CGI is better, specially in dark scenes. The rest, close-ups and bright scenes, not so much.
The CGI-rejuvenated Harrison Ford works more or less for the face. Still not a great fan of it, but I expected worse.

Probably too much fan-service and a bit derivative. For instance previous actors making an appearance not really needed by the scenario and not doing much. Or a cameo before getting killed.
Thomas Kretschmann has made quite a career as a nazi officer on movies.  :P

So don't pay too much to watch it on a big screen. It also pays to have lower expectations.
Of course, certain scenes such as car chases were designed with 4DX cinemas in mind.

For some reason, I understood more of the Ancient Greek (katharevousa/glorified demotic sounding?) than the Latin.  :hmm: Is it just me? I am much better at Latin than Ancient Greek (hardly studied Ancient Greek compared to Latin).

Deutsch ist außer Konkurrenz:D

Thanks Duque, I'll consider going to see it now.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Finished Black Mirror's latest series. Spoilers.

Joan is Awful- Yep. In the running for one of the best Black Mirror episodes. Very very good. Clever story about current technology taken to a logical horrific conclusion and funny with it.

Loch Henry- Meh. Middling. The commentary about true crime though valid is very blunt and on the nose. There seems to be some threads linking it all together missing.

Beyond the Sea- Interesting silly setup though in terms of where it was going there was a handful of obvious possibilities and they went with one of them. I guess its some sort of commentary on remote work?... how it means intruding into your coworkers homes and jealousy?... Or is it a flip on how work intrudes into home so much with the robots being the ones on earth and people in space, opposite of what it logically should be? A bit slow and plodding considering the obvious conclusion. Another meh episode.

Mazey Day- Yes the paparazzi suck. The noughties want their commentary back. Interesting (and painful. I feel old) to do a period piece as a lot more of a story could be built about how things have changed today. A clear sign of Black Mirror really stepping away from the tech focus, which I've no issue with. But...it doesn't really make sense to me. A weak episode.

Demon 79- A real missed opportunity. Totally drops the tech pretense beyond the flimsiest of angle, even calling itself Red Mirror. . I suppose its the opposite problem of beyond the sea in that it opens up a lot of avenues it could have gone down but ...just doesn't. It drops them.
At the end I was thinking OK so is this some sort of commentary on how the far right breed the monsters they claim they're necessary to fight... nope. Something about how the demon was lying and making the woman crazy and the way the media plays these tricks on people (albeit in a odd time setting for it)... nope.
It goes with a played straight end of the world. Which...yes everyone dying sucks but a bad ending for other reasons too. Its not like failing to kill the Tory even mattered really... or is that the message? Rather than going for the big bad of the future she should have concentrated on the more immediate issue?
I do really like the episode still. But it falls short of being a best ever contender with some of the errors.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Apparently this is the offending map in the Barbie movie....

I think that's only an eight dash line so might also offend China :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

:lol:

That's so stupid.
Meanwhile in Japan : "so.. Barbie says we don't exist?"
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

You would think that showing any world map would be banned in any movie company today. Or has China made showing a "correct" map a requirement?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

So, I wasn't too impressed by Secret Invasion after the first episode but it has grown on me. The plot I don't care much for, it's just nonsense, but it has way too many good actors having fun sparring with each other.

Syt

Weird - The Al Yankovic Story. A faithful, honest, serious look at the troubled life of the eponymous artist. -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2023, 07:50:33 AMWeird - The Al Yankovic Story. A faithful, honest, serious look at the troubled life of the eponymous artist. -_-
Yeah, Madonna might have something to say about the honest part. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2023, 07:50:33 AMWeird - The Al Yankovic Story. A faithful, honest, serious look at the troubled life of the eponymous artist. -_-

Disappointing movie or what? Judging by the emoticon.

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on July 07, 2023, 08:20:47 PM
Yeah, Madonna might have something to say about the honest part. :P

I saw no untruths in the movie.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 08, 2023, 06:54:33 AM

It was what I expected and more.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on July 08, 2023, 07:11:32 AM

So "Based on Truth...Lies...And what actually happened."?

like this one:

:P

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on July 08, 2023, 07:11:32 AM

I want to see that movie.

But on fucking Roku?  I don't even know how to get that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

We have it on Netflix here.
—Stephen Jay Gould