Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 28, 2023, 03:21:31 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 28, 2023, 11:05:10 AMThat's pretty much inevitable. Not just Ukrainians, Russians too.

Western Europe isn't really much better population wise. There's not a country where the aboriginals have birthrates at replacement levels
Most of the world is below replacement now, be it the Americas, China and the rest of East Asia, in the next two or three years even India...
However the demographic collapse in Eastern Europe still stands out.

Valmy

Those other countries didn't have Stalin and the 1990s collapse.

Also WWII was just different demographically in the USSR than in Western Europe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2023, 04:09:05 PMThose other countries didn't have Stalin and the 1990s collapse.

Also WWII was just different demographically in the USSR than in Western Europe.

And Eastern Europe?
I don't think Poland et al have recovered despite not having the 1990 collapse anywhere near as bad and enjoying much better times this century.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Zanza on June 28, 2023, 03:41:02 PMMost of the world is below replacement now, be it the Americas, China and the rest of East Asia, in the next two or three years even India...

Is Africa still showing population growth?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2023, 04:39:19 PMIs Africa still showing population growth?
Yes - and of the 2 billion growth projected to 2050, well over half will be in Africa.

Edit: Can't remember if I posted it but I think it was the Guardian had an amazing long read on the emerging West African megalopolis which will definitely be a big part of this shift.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Okay I'm not tuned into Italian politics particularly, but my impression is that Meloni and I are unlikely to agree on a number of subjects. But this speech is pretty good: https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/14ln6df/meloni_is_it_better_to_live_under_a_dictatorship/

Sheilbh

She's got form:
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1639002073655136269?s=20

She's a hell of a speaker though :lol: (Although obvs some brass neck talking about democracy and leading a party descended from the Italian Social Republic or Falcone and the mafia having been in a coalition with Berlusconi, but still....)
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Recently a Russian missile hit a restaurant in Kramatorsk, killing 11 civilians there and injuring dozens more.  Soon after Ukrainian security services arrested someone it claims was caught red-handed casing the restaurant and sending pictures of it to Russians.  The implication is that it wasn't just a typical Russian random bombing of a city, and this restaurant just happened to be where the missile landed, but rather this was a deliberate precision strike against a specific group of civilians.  For some reason that just seems even more heinous than the usual Russian actions we've all gotten accustomed to.

Tamas

Wagner isn't getting purged yet, but their allies are, including the so-called General Armageddon:

QuoteRussia has detained Wagner's best friend in the armed forces, Sergei Surkovikin, as Putin looks for scapegoats in the security forces after the failed coup.

"We understand that there will be more people who will follow".

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on June 28, 2023, 06:45:56 PMRecently a Russian missile hit a restaurant in Kramatorsk, killing 11 civilians there and injuring dozens more.  Soon after Ukrainian security services arrested someone it claims was caught red-handed casing the restaurant and sending pictures of it to Russians.  The implication is that it wasn't just a typical Russian random bombing of a city, and this restaurant just happened to be where the missile landed, but rather this was a deliberate precision strike against a specific group of civilians.  For some reason that just seems even more heinous than the usual Russian actions we've all gotten accustomed to.

Yes.
Really strange story though. Why would they need this guy casing the area? Surely what public areas are popular is freely available info.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on June 29, 2023, 07:34:47 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 28, 2023, 06:45:56 PMRecently a Russian missile hit a restaurant in Kramatorsk, killing 11 civilians there and injuring dozens more.  Soon after Ukrainian security services arrested someone it claims was caught red-handed casing the restaurant and sending pictures of it to Russians.  The implication is that it wasn't just a typical Russian random bombing of a city, and this restaurant just happened to be where the missile landed, but rather this was a deliberate precision strike against a specific group of civilians.  For some reason that just seems even more heinous than the usual Russian actions we've all gotten accustomed to.

Yes.
Really strange story though. Why would they need this guy casing the area? Surely what public areas are popular is freely available info.

According to a Globe and Mail report, they were trying to time the attack to kill a number of Canadian volunteers/fundraisers.

Maladict

Russia is now claiming two Ukrainian generals and fifty officers were killed in the attack.

Barrister

I'm hearing reports that twin 14 year old girls were killed in the attack in Kramatorsk.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Mike Pence showed up in Kiyev and met with Zelenskyy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

The tankies' line is "well there were some soldiers on leave there eating pizza so it's a legitimate target".  :wacko:

ruSSia is a cancer to humanity.