News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I suspect I might have seen it but honestly don't remember it.
Sounds a shame as I do remember in the Robin Hood books I read as a kid there definitely were anti-French elements, though it made sense as part of the context of Hood being one of the few remaining anglo-saxon nobles, in tune with the people, and the big nasty Norman rulers who...weren't.  But that sounds like they got that completely wrong.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 12, 2023, 09:46:06 PMThat 'ol 80's Robin of Sherwood series from the UK/ITV is also a good version I think.  That might be mostly nostalgia talking though.  (still think the actor portraying the Sheriff of Nottingham was fantastic though)

As kids we thought Nasir, the dual wielding Saracen assassin was the coolest thing.

https://robinofsherwood.fandom.com/wiki/Nasir
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I have very very vague recollections from that show. Besides Marian being one of the first female leads that I remember thinking was really pretty.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on June 14, 2023, 09:03:47 AMI suspect I might have seen it but honestly don't remember it.

Given that Network DVD, the UK publisher of the series (among many), has gone into liquidation recently, that show will probably be harder to find soon in the British Isles, anyways.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 14, 2023, 09:38:11 AM
Quote from: Josquius on June 14, 2023, 09:03:47 AMI suspect I might have seen it but honestly don't remember it.

Given that Network DVD, the UK publisher of the series (among many), has gone into liquidation recently, that show will probably be harder to find soon in the British Isles, anyways.

Damn, that's annoying as that company did some great dvd releasese.

Thanks Duque for the bad news. :-(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

The had the ITV version on BBC for Kids when my boys were pre-teen.  They loved it, and the best part was The Naked Chef, with a very young Jamie Oliver, came on right after that.  The boys adored Oliver and that got them interested in cooking.  Which Mrs. CC and I continue to benefit from.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2023, 11:33:14 PMIt had this weird anti-French thing in it. No I don't mean like Saxon peasants resenting their Norman-French overlords or something. Like the Angevins and Alienòr d'Aquitània were all freaking out the true born son of England Jean Sans-Terre was being seduced and corrupted by the evil French trollop Isabelle d'Angoulême.

It was so weird. The House of Anjou all freaking out by being corrupted by continental values!

It was a bad movie, not Ridley Scott's finest moment.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

He's always a bit hit and miss.

But still really looking forward to his Napoleon :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I finished Beef.
It's decent though really loses the comedy trail. The ending is Meh.

In other news... I'm oddly looking forward to Catherine tates new sitcom :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 14, 2023, 04:05:04 PMHe's always a bit hit and miss.

But still really looking forward to his Napoleon :mmm:
Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven, I think for a while, he had a good run.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Black Hawk Down I barely remember which leads me to deduce its meh.
Kingdom of Heaven is one of the historic "It should have been great" movies. Such a waste that ended up thoroughly meh.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

His good run was The Duellists, Alien, and Bladerunner.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2023, 03:45:19 AMHis good run was The Duellists, Alien, and Bladerunner.
Also Thelma and Louise which I think is in that sequence.

I think he's been hit and miss in the 2000s but when he's good, is still very, very good.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Black Hawk Down is not meh.