News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on June 15, 2023, 02:55:41 AMBlack Hawk Down I barely remember which leads me to deduce its meh.
Your problem is you have poor memory my friend. ;)

Quote from: Josquius on June 15, 2023, 02:55:41 AMKingdom of Heaven is one of the historic "It should have been great" movies. Such a waste that ended up thoroughly meh.
Kingdom of Heaven would not please Valmy, that's a given.  About as realistic as Braveheart. ;)

The director's cut is a big long, but much better because some things do make sense.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Yes the director's cut of KoH is much, much better. Most notably: the king's sister has a son, did you know? So her brooding and actions suddenly make sense - she was worried about her son's future both in terms of health and succession chances. But from the theatrical cut the boy has been cut out.

Also in the theatrical version I was very annoyed at some random French village blacksmith educating the Arabs not just on how to irrigate the desert but how to construct siege engines. In the longer version, it is explained that he is a war veteran who was an engineer.

celedhring

The KOH director's cut is much better indeed, definitely turns it into one of Scott's best post-1980s movies.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on June 14, 2023, 10:53:03 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 14, 2023, 09:38:11 AM
Quote from: Josquius on June 14, 2023, 09:03:47 AMI suspect I might have seen it but honestly don't remember it.

Given that Network DVD, the UK publisher of the series (among many), has gone into liquidation recently, that show will probably be harder to find soon in the British Isles, anyways.

Damn, that's annoying as that company did some great dvd releasese.

Thanks Duque for the bad news. :-(

No Jason King on blu-ray for you then, sorry.

I hope you supported them back then when they released of Hawk the Slayer, the British sword and sorcery/Fantasy film predating Conan the Barbarian.  :P

Such a great catalogue. :( '60s shows on HD with excellent 5.1 remixes (original mono being available of course).

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 16, 2023, 06:30:13 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 14, 2023, 10:53:03 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 14, 2023, 09:38:11 AM
Quote from: Josquius on June 14, 2023, 09:03:47 AMI suspect I might have seen it but honestly don't remember it.

Given that Network DVD, the UK publisher of the series (among many), has gone into liquidation recently, that show will probably be harder to find soon in the British Isles, anyways.

Damn, that's annoying as that company did some great dvd releasese.

Thanks Duque for the bad news. :-(

No Jason King on blu-ray for you then, sorry.

I hope you supported them back then when they released of Hawk the Slayer, the British sword and sorcery/Fantasy film predating Conan the Barbarian.  :P

Such a great catalogue. :( '60s shows on HD with excellent 5.1 remixes (original mono being available of course).

Yeah bought a lot of dvds there, my favourite is probably their release of the 'Flashing Blade' probably not as good as the French original, but the dubbing seems decent to me!

Also have a fond spot or the low budget 'Arthur of the Britons' starring Tobias, the other chap and with guest appearences from BRIAN BLESSED. :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on June 16, 2023, 08:52:36 AMYeah bought a lot of dvds there, my favourite is probably their release of the 'Flashing Blade' probably not as good as the French original, but the dubbing seems decent to me!

Le Chevalier Tempête? Not  my time, I can see why the DVDs were interesting in a British context, however:

QuoteThe UK screenings of this serial on BBC Television were plagued by technical problems. The BBC cut the original 4 x 75-minute editions down into 12 x 25-minute ones, but the print of episode 12 somehow created seemingly insurmountable vision breakdowns, causing picture interruption on the early attempts to broadcast it. For further repeats of the series (apart from 1979), 11 episodes was shown. In 1979 (for reasons unknown) only 10 episodes was shown.

:D

QuoteAlso have a fond spot or the low budget 'Arthur of the Britons' starring Tobias, the other chap and with guest appearences from BRIAN BLESSED. :D

I prefer Brian Blessed's role as Prince Vultan in Flash Gordon.  :lol:

Crazy_Ivan80

QuoteAlso have a fond spot or the low budget 'Arthur of the Britons' starring Tobias, the other chap and with guest appearences from BRIAN BLESSED. :D

king of the who?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on June 16, 2023, 09:50:42 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 16, 2023, 09:38:37 AMSo... sliders reboot?

??

The B5 trailer. Jumping between dimensions/alternate realities trying to get home.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 16, 2023, 09:52:25 AM

??

The B5 trailer. Jumping between dimensions/alternate realities trying to get home.

Ah.  You had me googling whether Sliders was rebooted.

Which forced me to watch the video, even though I am at work.  Yeah.  Movie seems completely unnecessary, although fun nostalgia bit.  Love me some Zathras.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on June 16, 2023, 09:52:25 AM

??

At least Peter Jurasik has some experience with the phenomenon.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Man Sliders. Prime example of the criminality of US TV in cancelling shows without giving them an actual ending.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on June 16, 2023, 10:05:29 AMMan Sliders. Prime example of the criminality of US TV in cancelling shows without giving them an actual ending.

I mean a really liked Sliders at first.

The problem was it never had any kind of over-arching storyline.  It was literally just "universe of the week".  I guess it was perfect for network television back in the day for just that reason - you could watch it completely out of order - but makes it rather unsuited for more modern Peak TV sensibilities.

I mean what would the ending be?  "Oh.  We just slid home.  Yay!"