Refractory Gauls, or the French politics thread

Started by Duque de Bragança, June 26, 2021, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on April 01, 2023, 01:26:09 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 01, 2023, 01:10:15 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 01, 2023, 01:06:06 PMWorse then NA?

Off-topic.  :P Though Macron is probably a toxic person to work with.  :P

I mean he is a politician lol

Obviously, and a particularly toxic one.

:P

Grey Fox

Yes, by many miles. Like mentioned, they have a highly hierarchical workplace and a Japanese-like expectation of boss-employee relationship.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Sure reflects my experiences of the francophone Swiss.
Even the simplest of mails need max formality. It's weird.

Will also explain a lot of Frances by choice youth unemployment.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 02, 2023, 09:52:34 AM

Yes, by many miles. Like mentioned, they have a highly hierarchical workplace and a Japanese-like expectation of boss-employee relationship.

Having bossed for the Japanese in Germany, I beg to differ.  :P

My father certainly found France less hierarchical than Portugal in general, for his time, for what it's worth. Damning with faint praise.

As for (francophone) Switzerland and France being close, that's not what I hear.

Why do we have this hijack by the way?
Loupil Gris still triggered by a French grammar rule of Italian origin or what?

Grey Fox

Or what.

I said that I understand the French not wanting to work 2 more years considering they have a toxic work environment.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 04, 2023, 06:58:36 AMSo a pure off-topic rant.  :D

Nothing ranty about it, though. Not really off topic either, given it's directly related to the current topic in the thread.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on April 04, 2023, 09:47:56 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 04, 2023, 06:58:36 AMSo a pure off-topic rant.  :D

Nothing ranty about it, though. Not really off topic either, given it's directly related to the current topic in the thread.

Goupil Gris likes to rant all the time about French things, be it some grammar rule with counterintuitive exceptions imported from Italy (the horror!) or work places of a country he has never experienced.

Furthermore, it's not directly related to the current topic, since it's not about French work places being toxic, but work and financing pensions in the long termn in general (executives employees and workers have different perspectives), not to mention he current ivory tower dweller at the Élysée, in particular.

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 04, 2023, 11:33:44 AMGoupil Gris likes to rant all the time about French things, be it some grammar rule with counterintuitive exceptions imported from Italy (the horror!) or work places of a country he has never experienced.

French companies do operate internationally and people outside of France sometimes work for them. Similarly, French companies do business with non-French companies. This can allow people outside of France to develop informed opinions about French workplace culture.

I have no opinion about French grammar rules, however, imported from Italy (the horror!) or not.

QuoteFurthermore, it's not directly related to the current topic, since it's not about French work places being toxic, but work and financing pensions in the long termn in general (executives employees and workers have different perspectives), not to mention he current ivory tower dweller at the Élysée, in particular.

It was a joke that was perfectly germane to the topic at hand, and very much in character for languish. As is your indignant defence of French honour :hug:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on April 04, 2023, 11:45:50 AM
QuoteFrench companies do operate internationally and people outside oft France sometimes work for them. Similarly, French companies do business with non-French companies allowing people. his allows them to develop informed opinions about French workplace culture.

Remember, according to Zupiter, there is not a French culture, so French companies abroad would not operate differently from the country they are doing business in or with.  :P

QuoteI have no opinion about French grammar rules, however, imported from Italy (the horror!) or not.

Think of that rule as one which would perhaps legitimately despair Josquius, for once.  :P
It's the exceptions I find troublesome, not the rule itself. I could enter into details but that would not very interesting, and probably trigger Goupil Gris.   :D
That's one rule I would reform, by removing the exceptions.

QuoteIt was a joke that was perfectly germane to the topic at hand, and very much in character for languish. As is your indignant defence of French honour :hug:

For you maybe, but not for Goupil Gris.  :contract:  :P

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 04, 2023, 12:06:50 PMRemember, according to Zupiter, there is not a French culture, so French companies abroad would not operate differently from the country they are doing business in or with.  :P

I did not realize you were so loyal to Zupiter that you would accept that :o

QuoteThink of that rule as one which would perhaps legitimately despair Josquius, for once.  :P
It's the exceptions I find troublesome, not the rule itself. I could enter into details but that would not very interesting, and probably trigger Goupil Gris.   :D

That's one rule I would reform, by removing the exceptions.

I guess now you have to storm the Academy to force through your proposed changes?

QuoteFor you maybe, but not for Goupil Gris.  :contract:  :P

Seems to be pretty in character, since he's the one who made the statement...

HVC

I seem to recall he works for a French company.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on April 04, 2023, 12:10:16 PMI did not realize you were so loyal to Zupiter that you would accept that :o

Easy, the opportunist and demagog he is changes idea whenever convenient so you just have to wait. Remember when he was trying to get a majority against the leftists by considering Marine's party as "republican"?
OTOH, I'll grant you he can be a bit hard to follow at times.

QuoteI guess now you have to storm the Academy to force through your proposed changes?

Won't work, they are the Immortals.
Besides, from time to time they propose some simplification reforms and people are still unhappy.
I still don't get how people were triggered back in 1990 with that very limited spelling reform.

Best be patient, besides I can live with those exceptions, unlike Goupil Gris.

Teachers of French as a foreign language might disagree.

QuoteSeems to be pretty in character, since he's the one who made the statement...

Precisely.  :)

mongers

Duque did you take part in this, seems right up your street/champs:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Missed it. :( Alphonse Daudet's Les Lettres de mon moulin? :hmm:
Could have been worse.

I don't live close to the Arc de Triomphe anymore and I had family visiting so I was busy as the local scout.

PS: local scout advice
During the high season, avoid Orlybus when going to Paris from Orly airport.