Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 05, 2023, 07:06:56 PM
Quote from: Josquius on May 05, 2023, 04:37:08 PMLots of commentary talking about how this indicates a labour minority government next election.
Which. Yeah. Can't see it happening. As said people vote different in locals.

Though I can't help but be tempted to think this would be the best possible outcome on the remote chance it does happen. Voting reform pushed through as the lesser parties price.
I thought about this from a Labour perspective - and I think they would do a coalition with the Lib Dems.

Given how traumatic 2010-15 was for the Lib Dems I'm not so sure if they'd be willing to go back into a coalition. Maybe if they had a firm commitment on voting reform (with no referendum) they might be willing to, but Starmer's now come out strongly in favour of FPTP.

Also I feel like the Lib Dems might get in trouble again if they're in coalition - they're winning in high income, high graduate areas who may not like parts of Labour's agenda (nationalising energy, Starmer now talking a lot about building houses etc). It feels like stuff that would go down badly in, say, Windsor and Maidenhead or Surrey.

It's the curse of the third party in our system.

Where did he come out strongly in favour of fptp?

All I saw was dodging the call for PR and saying it wasn't a priority.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

BBC is doing a play by play already.  Heard on NPR.

Richard Hakluyt

The worst thing has been the multiple articles every day for the past fortnight in the Guardian telling us how the monarchy is irrelevant.

We all know not to watch the BBC today, unless you like that sort of thing, but the infestation of left of centre news sources telling us how little they care is galling.

Tamas

I am watching with one eye, bunch of old aristocrats in a church, then Boris Johnson arrives, followed by Lizz Truss. :bleeding:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 06, 2023, 02:53:36 AMThe worst thing has been the multiple articles every day for the past fortnight in the Guardian telling us how the monarchy is irrelevant.
Oh God - the bit about "what our readers are doing" was insufferable too. Plus the Editorial saying there needed to be a debate about the monarchy with both sides - as if they hadn't had a splash about it every day of the last fortnight. It's less that there's no space for debate and more that most people find the Guardian a bit annoying :lol:

The royals are very blessed with their opponents in this country.

QuoteWe all know not to watch the BBC today, unless you like that sort of thing, but the infestation of left of centre news sources telling us how little they care is galling.
My parents have left the country. They absolutely cannot be dealing with this stuff, but get that other people like it. So are using their bank holiday to have a quick holiday instead.

QuoteI am watching with one eye, bunch of old aristocrats in a church, then Boris Johnson arrives, followed by Lizz Truss. :bleeding:
Over half the invitations were for people who do volunteer woork for charities or in their community (like with the garden party invites).

Truss and Johnson are now ex-PMs so will pop up at all these state events now, as well as remembrance services. I do feel if I were Truss especially I'd probably not turn up out of embarrassment....but I get the sense she's not masively burdened with that.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hamilcar

All I see is medieval cosplay as the country tries to forget for a day that they're now a firmly mid country.

Hamilcar

Aren't these people embarrassed to dress like ye olde lords and ladies?

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2023, 04:38:06 AMWhat about T May's outfit?
Not totally sold on Humza Yousaf's:

(I quite like the lapels - but not sure it needs that many buttons...:hmm:)
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Hamilcar on May 06, 2023, 04:40:24 AMAll I see is medieval cosplay as the country tries to forget for a day that they're now a firmly mid country.

Harsh but fair.

Hamilcar

Taleb put it best: rank without power is ridiculous.

Sheilbh

Obviously never seen a coronation before but I'm genuinely surprised how Catholic this all is.
Let's bomb Russia!

Hamilcar

I think it's clear what the inspiration for Warhammer 40k was  :lol:

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 06, 2023, 06:32:49 AMObviously never seen a coronation before but I'm genuinely surprised how Catholic this all is.

I mean, I always thought the Anglican church was to merge Catholic pomp with enough Protestant teachings to avoid a civil war (and grant the king those divorces).

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on May 06, 2023, 07:10:26 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 06, 2023, 06:32:49 AMObviously never seen a coronation before but I'm genuinely surprised how Catholic this all is.

I mean, I always thought the Anglican church was to merge Catholic pomp with enough Protestant teachings to avoid a civil war (and grant the king those divorces).

I thought Elizabeth I liked some of the pomp.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.