Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Vladimir Kara-Murza is a brave man to have gone back to Russia to face certain prosecution, as indeed he was sentenced to 25 years in prison yesterday.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Ukrainians repel a vatnik assault on their trench line on the flanks of Bakhmut and counterattack to clear stragglers. One vatnik even gets close enough for a grenade toss before being demilitarized. Contains footage of several vatniks shot at fairly close range.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DGuller

This video doesn't look that encouraging, to be honest.  Yes, they defended against that attack, but I imagine that many such battles end with a total wipeout for the guys in the bunker.  Given the green armbands, these seem to be territorial defense people, and most of them need to be given the same order five times before they comply, and the orders are meant to protect the whole group from being flanked.  I'm sure they're doing the best they can, and all of them are doing a much better job than I would do in that situation, but based on this video I can't see how Ukraine isn't suffering terrible casualties as well in Bakhmut.

Legbiter

Quote from: DGuller on April 19, 2023, 10:49:52 PMThis video doesn't look that encouraging, to be honest.  Yes, they defended against that attack, but I imagine that many such battles end with a total wipeout for the guys in the bunker.  Given the green armbands, these seem to be territorial defense people, and most of them need to be given the same order five times before they comply, and the orders are meant to protect the whole group from being flanked.  I'm sure they're doing the best they can, and all of them are doing a much better job than I would do in that situation, but based on this video I can't see how Ukraine isn't suffering terrible casualties as well in Bakhmut.

He's doing what NCOs are supposed to do. Take charge and order the privates around. Otherwise they would have just hunkered down and been fragged by the vatniks. He's also running on pure adrenaline. They didn't lose a man repelling that attack.

As to casualties, yeah that's stating the obvious. A modern high intensity war between peer-opponents will have that :hmm: 

PDH

Quote from: Legbiter on April 20, 2023, 10:17:13 AMHe's doing what NCOs are supposed to do.

And what Russian NCOs can't do.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

He was certainly brave.  I would have just cowered in the bunker.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

That was INTENSE

Amazing that he could keep his shit together, keep everyone organized, keep himself alive, and save the position. 

Legbiter

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2023, 01:29:28 PMThat was INTENSE

Amazing that he could keep his shit together, keep everyone organized, keep himself alive, and save the position. 

Yeah.

Also they're under constant (highly inaccurate) artillery bombardment. Russian artillery support seems to be at least as dangerous to the vatniks as it is to the Ukrainians.

Sheilbh

Reports Ukrainians have a bridgehead over the Dnipro near Kherson and may have taken a small town on the other side.

Obviously handle with care etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2023, 08:09:34 AMReports Ukrainians have a bridgehead over the Dnipro near Kherson and may have taken a small town on the other side.

Obviously handle with care etc.

Being reported on all the papers  sites  :ph34r:

The counter attack in a completely unexpected place? (as expected sort of)
Though reading up seems its just limited strikes against Russians shelling kherson.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Apparently last week China's ambassador to France said in an interview (in reply to whether Crimea belongs to Russia in his opinion): "Even these ex-Soviet Union countries do not have effective status, as we say, under international law because there's no international accord to concretise their status as a sovereign country."

China has since disowned this remark, but I always find such gaffes revealing. The fact that at the moment he thought nothing of saying that means that in his circles this is an accepted way of thinking/conversation.

Sheilbh

Yeah. Ambassadors summoned in all Baltic countries. I think it would have been a nice moment of solidarity in Europe/the West to do the same to make it absolutely clear that it's unacceptable to cast doubts on the existence of the Baltic states. They're not just a dubious "post-Soviet" space.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

The Baltic states should open embassies in Taiwan as apparently sovereignty is not a requirement anymore.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2023, 06:14:29 AMThe Baltic states should open embassies in Taiwan as apparently sovereignty is not a requirement anymore.
IIRC wasn't one of them already on the brink of that after really pissing China off in recent years and then standing up to them rather than caving? Latvia maybe? Could be Lithuania.

I've no idea what the hell the Chinese guy was even trying to say there. It made no sense.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on April 24, 2023, 06:39:19 AMI've no idea what the hell the Chinese guy was even trying to say there. It made no sense.

He was saying borders and sovereignty are negotiable.