Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Imagine if that Portuguese poster back in the day who knew every ambassador had started dropping classified cables to shut us up.  :lol:   
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2023, 05:49:20 AMJust to point out - yesterday Poland requested that they could send jet planes they'd bought from Germany (from DDR stocks) to Ukraine.

And. This time, from what I've seen, within a day - Germany said yes. We didn't have the usual rigamarole of debates about whether they're "offensive" or "defensive" jets, whether it constitutes an escalation or is it Germany going alone.

So as I've pointed out that Germany had always been doing the right thing - but normally after dithering for so long they got all the annoyance of their European partners and then none of the credit. It is worth pointing out that it feels like that lesson has maybe been learned a bit which is very good to see.

(Also semi-relatedly Baerbock on a trip to China to clear up Macron's mess - which again, is good.)
Germany actually also approved the export of PzH2000 and Leopard 2 within less than a week once the other countries formally requested it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on April 14, 2023, 10:14:44 AMGermany actually also approved the export of PzH2000 and Leopard 2 within less than a week once the other countries formally requested it.
Sure - but you don't make the formal request until you know it'll be accepted. It's a formal step that you only do when it's a formality.

Edit: Or to very consciously put pressure on an ally because you're making the disagreement public on paper as well as off the record briefings.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

The previous German defense minister was simply incapable of doing the job.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Legbiter on April 14, 2023, 10:10:58 AMImagine if that Portuguese poster back in the day who knew every ambassador had started dropping classified cables to shut us up.  :lol:   

For what it's worth, Teixeira is a typical Portuguese surname.  :P

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 14, 2023, 11:56:43 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 14, 2023, 10:10:58 AMImagine if that Portuguese poster back in the day who knew every ambassador had started dropping classified cables to shut us up.  :lol:   

Shhhh  <_<  :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2023, 12:09:54 PM

Açoriano descent, so assuming he still spoke Portuguese, he would speak it even worse than you.  :D

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 14, 2023, 12:34:08 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2023, 12:09:54 PM

Açoriano descent, so assuming he still spoke Portuguese, he would speak it even worse than you.  :D

The day I take a northerner seriously about the proper way to speak Portuguese is the day I stop speaking Portuguese :contract: :lol:

*edit* he's an American and not from Rhode Island or Hawaii so probably continental. From the north funnily enough.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2023, 12:58:37 PMThe day I take a northerner seriously about the proper way to speak Portuguese is the day I stop speaking Portuguese :contract: :lol:

The languague was born in the North, smart arse.  :contract:  :P

Quote*edit* he's an American and not from Rhode Island or Hawaii so probably continental. From the north funnily enough.

Nope, his grand-pa came from the Azores.  :contract:

https://cnnportugal.iol.pt/jack-teixeira/acoriano/e-lusodescendente-o-lider-do-grupo-online-que-partilhou-documentos-confidenciais-dos-eua-sobre-a-guerra-jack-teixeira-novas-informacoes/20230413/6438698f0cf2cf9225025a00

QuoteJack Teixeira é lusodescente, apurou a CNN Portugal. O avô do jovem de 21 anos é açoriano - a informação foi confirmada à CNN Portugal por Francisco Viveiros, presidente da Casa dos Açores de Fall River. O jovem não tem dupla nacionalidade e o avô será natural de São Miguel.

Ao que a CNN Portugal conseguiu apurar, Jack Teixeira pertence a uma família muito reservada, que não participava muito nas atividades da Casa dos Açores de Fall River, apesar de viver perto da cidade.

HVC

Of course it had to be Sao Miguel :D

Anyway, hope the idiot gets serious time.

Duque de Bragança

Wait, you also have Micaelense family connections?  :hmm:  :lol:

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 14, 2023, 01:17:39 PMWait, you also have Micaelense family connections?  :hmm:  :lol:

No :D I just know a lot of people from there. Like 90 percent of the Portuguese people in Ontario are from the azores

As for me, Lisbon on my dads side. although his parents were from figueiró do vinhos, all the siblings grew up in Lisbon. Moms side is from Nazare

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2023, 01:15:15 PMAnyway, hope the idiot gets serious time.

He's a pretty boy, so any time he gets will be serious.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2023, 01:23:59 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 14, 2023, 01:17:39 PMWait, you also have Micaelense family connections?  :hmm:  :lol:

No :D I just know a lot of people from there. Like 90 percent of the Portuguese people in Ontario are from the azores

As for me, Lisbon on my dads side. although his parents were from figueiró do vinhos, all the siblings grew up in Lisbon. Moms side is from Nazare

A long time coworker of mine is Portuguese-American. It's weird because it is not really a nationality group with any broad visibility. The way she tells it, she grew up in some small coastal town (I think a historical fishing community) I think in either Rhode Island or Massachusetts and she says it is kind of like a little Portuguese enclave. Basically everyone there is of Portuguese descent and she was heavily steeped in that until she left for college.

grumbler

Quote from: Hamilcar on April 11, 2023, 02:23:35 AMBasic question: if SAMs are so expensive, why did the Soviets go all in on them? And why did all their developing country clients follow?

I was just watching the latest Mooch Report and his guest answered this:  because the Soviets felt that, even with numbers, they would lose an air-to-air air superiority campaign.  They felt (and the Russians and clients still feel) that SAM launchers were more survivable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!