Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

I haven't bothered to skim or even look at these leaked documents partially out of laziness, partially out of I don't want leaked documents on my computers (although now that they're on major news websites it's probably w/e), but these were mostly briefing style intelligence documents as I understand it--not operational. At least that I have heard.

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2023, 12:32:37 PMBut also I remember being astounded at the number of people in the US who have top secret clearance after the Snowden leak - just checked and it's 1.3 million people. Which seems high.

If you don't have Top Secret clearance in the US are you even trying? :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

On a scale of 1-10 how fucked is this poor kid?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Well did he win the internet argument?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Legbiter on April 13, 2023, 02:12:46 PMOn a scale of 1-10 how fucked is this poor kid?

I think it's hard to say. Garland is charging him under the espionage act, so could be 10 years per count. Bradley Manning and Reality Winner, two recent (last 10-15 years) cases where a low level person leaked intel data got sentences in the 5-10 year range. I think Manning actually got like 12 years and a commutation after he'd served a few years.

It will depend largely on how they look at what he was doing. Some of the news reporting says he was leaking documents in many discrete incidents, over a period of months. He additionally started photocopying documents when he got tired of hand transcribing them. This could be legally different from dropping a big single "batch" which is what Manning and Winter did, and it could mean he's a lot more fucked. Maybe not though.

Sheilbh

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 13, 2023, 02:26:24 PMIt will depend largely on how they look at what he was doing. Some of the news reporting says he was leaking documents in many discrete incidents, over a period of months. He additionally started photocopying documents when he got tired of hand transcribing them. This could be legally different from dropping a big single "batch" which is what Manning and Winter did, and it could mean he's a lot more fucked. Maybe not though.
It wasn't even that he got tired of them - he wasn't being taken seriously enough by his internet friends :bleeding:
QuoteLate last year, a peeved OG fired off a message to all the members of the server. He had spent nearly an hour every day writing up "these long and drawn-out posts in which he'd often add annotations and explanations for stuff that we normal citizens would not understand," the member said. His would-be pupils were more interested in YouTube videos about battle gear.

"He got upset, and he said on multiple occasions, if you guys aren't going to interact with them, I'm going to stop sending them."

That's when OG changed tactics. Rather than spend his time copying documents by keyboard, he took photographs of the genuine articles and dropped them in the server. These were more vivid and arresting documents than the plain text renderings. Some featured detailed charts of battlefield conditions in Ukraine and highly classified satellite images of the aftermath of Russian missile strikes on Ukrainian electrical facilities. Others sketched the potential trajectory of North Korean ballistic nuclear missiles that could reach the United States. Another featured photographs of the Chinese spy balloon that floated across the country in February, snapped from eye-level, probably by a U-2 spy plane, along with a diagram of the balloon and the surveillance technology attached to it.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on April 13, 2023, 01:43:57 PMWhy the duck does the massachusettes national guard have access to this level of intelligence.
Hardly top secret...
I'm not sure what you mean.  What is hardly Top Secret?

Teixeira apparently worked as part of the support staff for the Air Force.  It's not yet clear how he accessed the documents.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2023, 02:39:41 PMIt wasn't even that he got tired of them - he wasn't being taken seriously enough by his internet friends :bleeding:

Explaining Languish to the wider global public is going to be so awkward when the time comes. :blush:

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on April 13, 2023, 02:22:58 PMWell did he win the internet argument?
He was arguing with Berkut, so no.  It's still going on.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2023, 02:42:36 PMI'm not sure what you mean.  What is hardly Top Secret?

Teixeira apparently worked as part of the support staff for the Air Force.  It's not yet clear how he accessed the documents.
Yeah apparently "Cyber Transport Systems Journeyman" which sounds like military for IT - so maybe a little like Snowden.
Let's bomb Russia!

Hamilcar

Quote from: The Brain on April 13, 2023, 02:22:58 PMWell did he win the internet argument?

Imagine losing the internet argument AND going to forever jail. Talk about a bad day.

Barrister

What's so funny about this story is that while I would never, ever do such a thing, after almost half a lifetime on Languish I can totally understand the impulse. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Hamilcar on April 13, 2023, 03:32:46 PM

Imagine losing the internet argument AND going to forever jail. Talk about a bad day.

:lol:

Admiral Yi

Hey Tonto, why is it always the Air Force?  :ph34r: