Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

"Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has promised a clampdown on potholes, as campaigning for the local elections gets under way."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65137351

He'll not get my vote unless he sets up a cones hotline!

Zanza

Leipzig is hip and left-leaning in the black-brown Saxony. But I hadn't heard about it as a centre for digital nomads. But that might just be my ignorance.

Leipzig has some software companies etc. but also big investments by more traditional companies like Siemens, BMW, and Posche as well as being the global hub of DHL. The EEX is also located there.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 31, 2023, 03:07:08 PM"Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has promised a clampdown on potholes, as campaigning for the local elections gets under way."

:lol: Some top local elections photos out of this too:

Edit: I feel like looking concerned at potholes is to British politics what getting photographed patting a cow is to the French.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2023, 03:21:48 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 31, 2023, 03:07:08 PM"Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has promised a clampdown on potholes, as campaigning for the local elections gets under way."

Edit: I feel like looking concerned at potholes is to British politics what getting photographed patting a cow is to the French.

That's not a pothole, they should see the size of the ones around here, especially as so many wealthy londoners are moving here and bringing chelsea tractors with them, so as to more efficiently destroy the road sides and hedges of single lane white and yellow minor roads.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

:lol: That's just awesome

The Hungarian equivalent is the ribbon-cutting where often a squad worth of politicians/businessmen MUST be cutting the bloody ribbon. For example a small even, the official opening of a new local council office:

Sheilbh

I love that they're just holding the ribbon that they're then cutting :lol: :huh:

Although, if politicians here started doing that stuff, there'd be nothing left for minor royals to do :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

That's so old school Eastern Europe.  :lol:
It's like they've seen this thing that people in the west do and want to copy it but... Don't quite get it.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

There's a German subreddit "Pensioners pointing at things", which is a staple of esp. local news if there's something people get upset about - usually it comes with a picture of the person (often a pensioner) pointing at it. :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/rentnerzeigenaufdinge/

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Basically it seems to be about "stumbling hazards" due to the bad condition of parts of a certain street in a town.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Big pile-up at Dover (14 hours waiting) but Braverman channels Sheilbh in explaining that since there has been days without extreme queues since Brexit, you cannot blame Brexit for it.

QuoteSuella Braverman has denied Brexit is responsible for delays at the port of Dover after some passengers said they had been queueing up to 14 hours to have their passports checked.

Extra sailings were being put in place overnight with hopes of clearing the backlog by lunchtime on Sunday, after a critical incident was declared at the port on Friday.

Speaking on Sky News's Sophy Ridge on Sunday, the home secretary said operations at the French border had been "very good" since Brexit.

"No, I don't think that's fair to say that this has been an adverse effect of Brexit. We've had many years now since leaving the European Union and there's been, on the whole, very good operations and processes at the border.

"At acute times where there is a lot of pressure crossing the Channel, whether that's on tunnel or ferries, then I think there's always going to be a back-up. I just urge everybody to be a bit patient while the ferry companies work their way through the backlog."

Josquius

This particular spike isn't brexit related. Some shit going on with French strikes messing up flights all around europe too.

The ongoing crap in Dover of course is brexit related. And these things tend to multiply not merely add.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Never go anywhere for Easter...one of my golden rules.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 02, 2023, 06:17:16 AMNever go anywhere for Easter...one of my golden rules.

The Thursday evening commute before Good Friday was always hell before the pandemic and I am pretty sure it will be again, I just don't have to participate anymore.

PJL

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 02, 2023, 06:17:16 AMNever go anywhere during the school holidays...one of my golden rules.

Corrected for your pleasure.