Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

It looked to me like he was an old guy that was a shitty shot but wanted to help out.  And the RPG does need some minimal prep before firing I think.

Zoupa

The soldier in the video (very apt callsign btw, Predator) said his older comrade was shell-shocked. At the end of the encounter, they have a short discussion where the older guy says "this is my first battle". So all in all, he did pretty well.

Tamas

He was visibly very scared but I can't really fault him, I think all of us can only hope we'd not freeze when first put into such a situation, cannot know for sure how one would react.

DGuller

Just listened to some intercept from the Wanger group.  Some guy is trying to write down an order to relay to someone else.  The order is to have Ustinov (commander of the group) executed and his group taken over.  The guy hears it as an order to execute Ustinov's group, and repeats it in a matter of fact way for confirmation.  I couldn't help but laugh, but the cold-blooded psychopathy behind it all is so Russian, and you have to assume that if they're so casual about the idea of shooting an entire group of their own, then they're probably not too sentimental about dealing with Ukrainian civilians.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1627698064164065285

Admiral Yi

Solmyr

Waiting for the sequel, Death of Stalin 2: Death of Putin.

Tamas

So am I right to think Putin's speech was a massive nothingburger? Best Guardian could do is highlight how he thinks the sanctions are hurting the West more, which is of course nonsense and I'd prefer if the Guardian didn't treat that as some serious news / thing to say.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on February 20, 2023, 10:25:14 PMJust listened to some intercept from the Wanger group.  Some guy is trying to write down an order to relay to someone else.  The order is to have Ustinov (commander of the group) executed and his group taken over.  The guy hears it as an order to execute Ustinov's group, and repeats it in a matter of fact way for confirmation.  I couldn't help but laugh, but the cold-blooded psychopathy behind it all is so Russian, and you have to assume that if they're so casual about the idea of shooting an entire group of their own, then they're probably not too sentimental about dealing with Ukrainian civilians.

I mean... There are skulls on their caps....
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2023, 05:56:59 AMSo am I right to think Putin's speech was a massive nothingburger? Best Guardian could do is highlight how he thinks the sanctions are hurting the West more, which is of course nonsense and I'd prefer if the Guardian didn't treat that as some serious news / thing to say.

Too much of the world isn't on-board with sanctions though.

Tamas

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 21, 2023, 06:02:32 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2023, 05:56:59 AMSo am I right to think Putin's speech was a massive nothingburger? Best Guardian could do is highlight how he thinks the sanctions are hurting the West more, which is of course nonsense and I'd prefer if the Guardian didn't treat that as some serious news / thing to say.

Too much of the world isn't on-board with sanctions though.

True but as long as Russia is forced to sell their stuff on depressed prices to those countries, it is working.

DGuller

Quote from: Josquius on February 21, 2023, 06:00:12 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 20, 2023, 10:25:14 PMJust listened to some intercept from the Wanger group.  Some guy is trying to write down an order to relay to someone else.  The order is to have Ustinov (commander of the group) executed and his group taken over.  The guy hears it as an order to execute Ustinov's group, and repeats it in a matter of fact way for confirmation.  I couldn't help but laugh, but the cold-blooded psychopathy behind it all is so Russian, and you have to assume that if they're so casual about the idea of shooting an entire group of their own, then they're probably not too sentimental about dealing with Ukrainian civilians.

I mean... There are skulls on their caps....
:XD:

Tamas

Is it possible that this speech was made into such a massive deal before it happened because there were supposed to be big battlefield victories the days before? Maybe Putin was so sure of Steiner's army breaking through in Donetsk that he had this all hyped, but of course had to do a time-filler with his usual ramblings instead.

celedhring

China is supposed to unveil a "peace plan" later this week, which is odd timing given the lack of Russian victories.

Legbiter

Setting up the option to start heavily supplying the Russian war effort if their plan is rejected. At least implicitly threatening to do so. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2023, 05:25:02 PMIs it possible that this speech was made into such a massive deal before it happened because there were supposed to be big battlefield victories the days before? Maybe Putin was so sure of Steiner's army breaking through in Donetsk that he had this all hyped, but of course had to do a time-filler with his usual ramblings instead.
Yeah I also think a lot of people maybe overemphasise the importance of dates or set-pieces for Putin.

I was guilty of this too thinking there'd be a big push for Victory Day last year.
Let's bomb Russia!