Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I don't understand so many peoples continued insistence to pretend this is not an actual kill or be killed situation for Ukraine on a national level.

Legbiter

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 09, 2023, 03:44:52 AMIt can't happen fast enough. Russia needs to be defeated asap, so that we can prepare for Taiwan

Some RAF boffin was saying the Ukrainians don't have any suitable runways for the F-16 and any attempt by them to do work to upgrade such runways would be immediately noticed by the Russians and attract missile attacks. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Legbiter on February 09, 2023, 05:29:09 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 09, 2023, 03:44:52 AMIt can't happen fast enough. Russia needs to be defeated asap, so that we can prepare for Taiwan

Some RAF boffin was saying the Ukrainians don't have any suitable runways for the F-16 and any attempt by them to do work to upgrade such runways would be immediately noticed by the Russians and attract missile attacks. :hmm:

Fly them from Poland, similar to what Russians did during the Korean war

Josquius

Does the F16 need a bigger runway than migs? :unsure:
Ukraine was also home of the world's biggest transport plane.

Seems weird they wouldn't have anything.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 06:17:23 AMDoes the F16 need a bigger runway than migs? :unsure:
Ukraine was also home of the world's biggest transport plane.

Seems weird they wouldn't have anything.

It's just the usual dance.

"No, we ain't doing it"
"Well, we'd love to, but technical reasons"
"Well sure technically its possible but these other dudes must do it first"
"Fine we can send one or two"
"Ok here is 20"

The Brain

I hear that the Russian winter offensive is now under way. Predictions?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Brain on February 09, 2023, 06:40:13 AMI hear that the Russian winter offensive is now under way. Predictions?
It'll be hard, but hopefully they'll waste a lot of their resources for minimal gain (like last summer during the siege of sievierodonetsk) allowing the uaf to tear them a new one in another counter offensive.

Josquius

Source on the offensive?

Quote from: Syt on February 09, 2023, 04:43:39 AMhttps://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/spacex-curbed-ukraines-use-starlink-internet-drones-company-president-2023-02-09/

QuoteSpaceX curbed Ukraine's use of Starlink internet for drones -company president

WASHINGTON, Feb 8 (Reuters) - SpaceX has taken steps to prevent Ukraine's military from using the company's Starlink satellite internet service for controlling drones in the region during the country's war with Russia, SpaceX's president said Wednesday.

SpaceX's Starlink satellite internet service, which has provided Ukraine's military with broadband communications in its defense against Russia's military, was "never never meant to be weaponized," Gwynne Shotwell, SpaceX's president and chief operating officer, said during a conference in Washington, D.C.

"However, Ukrainians have leveraged it in ways that were unintentional and not part of any agreement," she said.

Speaking later with reporters, Shotwell referred to reports that the Ukrainian military had used the Starlink service to control drones.

Ukraine has made effective use of unmanned aircraft for spotting enemy positions, targeting long-range fires and dropping bombs.

"There are things that we can do to limit their ability to do that," she said, referring to Starlink's use with drones. "There are things that we can do, and have done."

Shotwell declined to say what measures SpaceX had taken.

Using Starlink with drones went beyond the scope of an agreement SpaceX has with the Ukrainian government, Shotwell said, adding the contract was intended for humanitarian purposes such as providing broadband internet to hospitals, banks and families affected by Russia's invasion.

"We know the military is using them for comms, and that's ok," she said. "But our intent was never to have them use it for offensive purposes."

I wonder whether they've found a new revenue stream in Russian payments?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 07:16:20 AMSource on the offensive?

My impression is that the rumor was started by the Institute for the study of war (ISW). Swedish talking officer heads are divided on the issue.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on February 09, 2023, 05:21:49 AMI don't understand so many peoples continued insistence to pretend this is not an actual kill or be killed situation for Ukraine on a national level.
It's a grotesque sight at this point. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 07:16:20 AMSource on the offensive?

Quote from: Syt on February 09, 2023, 04:43:39 AMhttps://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/spacex-curbed-ukraines-use-starlink-internet-drones-company-president-2023-02-09/

QuoteSpaceX curbed Ukraine's use of Starlink internet for drones -company president

WASHINGTON, Feb 8 (Reuters) - SpaceX has taken steps to prevent Ukraine's military from using the company's Starlink satellite internet service for controlling drones in the region during the country's war with Russia, SpaceX's president said Wednesday.

SpaceX's Starlink satellite internet service, which has provided Ukraine's military with broadband communications in its defense against Russia's military, was "never never meant to be weaponized," Gwynne Shotwell, SpaceX's president and chief operating officer, said during a conference in Washington, D.C.

"However, Ukrainians have leveraged it in ways that were unintentional and not part of any agreement," she said.

Speaking later with reporters, Shotwell referred to reports that the Ukrainian military had used the Starlink service to control drones.

Ukraine has made effective use of unmanned aircraft for spotting enemy positions, targeting long-range fires and dropping bombs.

"There are things that we can do to limit their ability to do that," she said, referring to Starlink's use with drones. "There are things that we can do, and have done."

Shotwell declined to say what measures SpaceX had taken.

Using Starlink with drones went beyond the scope of an agreement SpaceX has with the Ukrainian government, Shotwell said, adding the contract was intended for humanitarian purposes such as providing broadband internet to hospitals, banks and families affected by Russia's invasion.

"We know the military is using them for comms, and that's ok," she said. "But our intent was never to have them use it for offensive purposes."

That must comes as a surprise to Starlink's #1 customer, the US DoD.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Who would not want to put their military at the mercy of Musk's whimsical mood swings?!

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on February 09, 2023, 09:54:29 AMWho would not want to put their military at the mercy of Musk's whimsical mood swings?!
The EU. That's why they are planning IrisĀ².

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 09, 2023, 09:54:29 AMWho would not want to put their military at the mercy of Musk's whimsical mood swings?!
I've said it before and I'll say it again (and not just about this) - nationalise it :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: The Brain on February 09, 2023, 06:40:13 AMI hear that the Russian winter offensive is now under way. Predictions?

Russia loses 100,000 KIA mobiks and grinds forward in places. Once they culminate Ukraine launches a counteroffensive like in Kharkiv and Kherson. Russians end up holding less territory than they did before.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.