Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on January 07, 2023, 08:34:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2023, 05:55:24 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 07, 2023, 05:34:02 PMIn my experience, one thing that Jews actually do better in these religious ceremonies is that they try to say something meaningful during it, so that even those who don't subscribe to their religion can get something insightful out of it.  My impression is that both Russian Orthodox and Catholic religious ceremonies are just entirely empty meaningless rituals that everyone goes through because they feel like they have to.  I'm not sure how the guy's wailing in that video with Putin is going to make anyone look at life differently in any way.

One thing Jews do worse (or at least one synagogue does) is turn away people on high holy days that are not paying members.

Not sure why it is worse when a Jewish congregation does this than it is when the local Baptist church does the same thing.  If space is limited, reserving it for congregants makes sense, even for Jews.
I do not know if Catholic churches of the past used to turn away people on high holy days.  They sure ain't doing it now. The last few times I attended Christmas mass with my mother, it was in her home town and it's a small church.  It happenned that there were a few people forced to keep standing.  There's a mass at 20:00 and one at 00:00 for Christmas.

My home town's Church is huge and they usually add some more seats for Christmas, so it was never an issue.

Last I heard is in my mother's village the Church is still full on Christmas (it's an early 19th century Church, among the oldest left standing in the region, ours dates from the 60s or 70s despite the city being much, much older).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2023, 05:55:24 PMOne thing Jews do worse (or at least one synagogue does) is turn away people on high holy days that are not paying members.

I would've thought that you of all people would be in favour of people getting what they pay for?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2023, 09:43:27 PMI would've thought that you of all people would be in favour of people getting what they pay for?

he he

Organized religions are tax exempt non profits with a charitable mission.  They're supposed to give stuff away.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2023, 10:03:57 PMhe he

Organized religions are tax exempt non profits with a charitable mission.  They're supposed to give stuff away.

... and most synagogues are involved in quite a variety of charities, I expect. The High Holidays frequently see synagogues filled to capacity, with the vast majority being folks who only go that time of the year.

It seems reasonable to me to prioritize folks who attend regularly through the year over those who show up only that one time in the calendar, and to prioritize folks who pay to support the institution (and attendant charities) to ensure they have a seat over folks who just decide to drop by.

That said, if they were turning folks away from a half-empty synagogue then yeah I can agree that's a poor showing.

Zanza

This is from a failed Russian assault in Bachmut. Really looks like WW1 Western Front.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2023, 06:39:26 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 07, 2023, 06:37:35 PMI got all my sacraments too lol.  I decided I was an atheist while preparing for my confirmation, but did it because my friends were :D

Every lapsed Catholic I've ever known made it through confirmation for the loot.
Guilty as charged

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on January 08, 2023, 01:24:00 AMThis is from a failed Russian assault in Bachmut. Really looks like WW1 Western Front.

Looks like me playing Graviteam Tactics and not supporting my infantry advance. :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on January 08, 2023, 04:35:23 AMLooks like me playing Graviteam Tactics and not supporting my infantry advance. :ph34r:

Something's terribly wrong with the Russian AI. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DGuller

This is almost like my HOI4 game from several years ago, where I played as Germany and USSR kept attacking my fortified entrenched positions for a year straight all across the front.  By the end of the war, they had 20 million in casualties to my zero.

Threviel

Nothing indicates that the Ukrainians differ very much in  tactics, their casualties are not zero. This is not a turkey shoot.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2023, 06:39:26 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 07, 2023, 06:37:35 PMI got all my sacraments too lol.  I decided I was an atheist while preparing for my confirmation, but did it because my friends were :D

Every lapsed Catholic I've ever known made it through confirmation for the loot.
A rosary, a box with the picture of the Virgin Mary, a prayer book, some holy candles... Yeah, impressive loot, all for +10 defense vs evil.  I'd still have prefered the +4 damage two handed sword though.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on January 08, 2023, 05:52:39 PMA rosary, a box with the picture of the Virgin Mary, a prayer book, some holy candles... Yeah, impressive loot, all for +10 defense vs evil.  I'd still have prefered the +4 damage two handed sword though.

You got hosed.  :(

viper37

Quote from: Threviel on January 08, 2023, 04:11:27 PMNothing indicates that the Ukrainians differ very much in  tactics, their casualties are not zero. This is not a turkey shoot.
I don't know about that.  They do seem more Terran than Zergish.

We don't have accurate figures for Ukrainian losses, they are likely very high too, for their army size, but they seem much more conservative in their advances, attacking where and when they find a weak spot, not blindly charging at every entranched positions hoping it will collapsed under mass artillery fire and repeated infantry assaults.

If tactics were the same on both sides, I don't think the UA would have recovered half the territory they lost.

Grey Fox

I don't remember getting anything for my confirmation. Might be a Quebec thing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Threviel on January 08, 2023, 04:11:27 PMNothing indicates that the Ukrainians differ very much in  tactics, their casualties are not zero. This is not a turkey shoot.

Nothing indicates that the Ukrainians use different tactics, except news reports, interviews, blog and vlog repors by Western veterans fighting alongside them, etc, etc, etc.  Do you have evidence that casts doubt on the evidence shown so far?  The fact that Ukrainian casualties are not zero is only evidence that there is a war on, and we already knew that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!