Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 27, 2022, 07:20:39 AMSo apparently during an informal meeting of CIS members, Putin presented members with a ring wishing all the best for the new year:

https://en.newizv.ru/news/2022-12-27/brotherhood-of-the-ring-putin-presented-the-heads-of-the-cis-countries-with-new-year-s-rings-391772

9 rings total. "Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die"? :unsure: :ph34r:

(Though I guess technically he gave out 8 rings, one was for Russia, i.e. himself.)

So, these are the nine ring of Men.

Ukraine, Poland and the Baltics got one Elven ring each, since they escaped Russia's control.

Who got the dwarven rings? Pretty sure at least Schröder, Orbán and Tucker Carlson got one each. They are in it for the gold.

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on December 27, 2022, 06:48:57 AMInteresting article on American support for Ukraine.

QuoteThe list of American security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of Russia's "unprovoked and brutal invasion" is impressive. What is more impressive is that $21.9 billion in U.S. military aid has been dominated by largely second-string gear, comprised of unpopular or lower-tech systems that were, in many cases, on the way to the scrapyard.

Ukraine Converts $21.9 Billion In U.S. Military Surplus Into Fearsome Force

TLDR: The US military aid being provided is mostly obsolete surplus that the Ukrainians are geniuses at turning into stacks of dead Russians.

This is a "dog bites man" story.  Of course, the first aid going to an embattled Ukraine is going to be the stuff that is most rapidly available, and of course the US isn't going to strip its own active-duty forces of what modern equipment it has to send that to Ukraine.  Ukraine is getting what might be called "National Guard equipment."

I did have to laugh at the incredibly awkward way Hooper kept harping on his pet peeve that the US is building aircraft carriers when that has nothing whatsoever to do with the war in Ukraine.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: Syt on December 27, 2022, 04:19:37 AMMusk's initial response:
QuoteElon Musk
@elonmusk
11h
Replying to @MedvedevRussiaE
Epic thread!!

To be fair, he added 5 hours later:
QuoteElon Musk
@elonmusk
6h
Replying to @elonmusk and @MedvedevRussiaE

Those are definitely the most absurd predictions I've ever heard, while also showing astonishing lack of awareness of the progress of artificial intelligence and sustainable energy.

At this stage I guess even AI could improve Russian foreign policy.

Hell, even a toddlers grasp of the world would be a relative guiding light to them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Solmyr

Quote from: celedhring on December 27, 2022, 09:32:21 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 27, 2022, 07:20:39 AMSo apparently during an informal meeting of CIS members, Putin presented members with a ring wishing all the best for the new year:

https://en.newizv.ru/news/2022-12-27/brotherhood-of-the-ring-putin-presented-the-heads-of-the-cis-countries-with-new-year-s-rings-391772

9 rings total. "Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die"? :unsure: :ph34r:

(Though I guess technically he gave out 8 rings, one was for Russia, i.e. himself.)

So, these are the nine ring of Men.

Ukraine, Poland and the Baltics got one Elven ring each, since they escaped Russia's control.

Who got the dwarven rings? Pretty sure at least Schröder, Orbán and Tucker Carlson got one each. They are in it for the gold.

And most importantly, who has the One Ring? :ph34r:

mongers

Quote from: Solmyr on December 27, 2022, 11:59:53 AMSo, these are the nine ring of Men.

And most importantly, who has the One Ring? :ph34r:
[/quote]

Why Trump ofcourse; Putin is mearly Gothmog*, hence his disasterous decision when 'thinking' for himself.

Was Gothmog one of the nine? And was he also know as the mouth of Sauron?

If we was the nine rings analogy would still work, if not then I have a hard time casting Putin as the lord of the nazgul.

celedhring

If Trump has The One Ring, I picture him more as Gollum than as Sauron.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on December 27, 2022, 12:37:03 PMIf Trump has The One Ring, I picture him more as Gollum than as Sauron.

That could work, though maybe he's Denothor with the ring?

Can't be Saruman having gained the one, as Trump never had any wisdom in the first place.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on December 27, 2022, 04:19:37 AMMedvedev engaging in some wishful thinking:

https://twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/1607487338401206273

QuoteDmitry Medvedev
@MedvedevRussiaE
Russia government official

On the New Year's Eve, everybody's into making predictions

Many come up with futuristic hypotheses, as if competing to single out the wildest, and even the most absurd ones.

Here's our humble contribution.

What can happen in 2023:
1.  Oil price will rise to $150 a barrel, and gas price will top $5.000 per 1.000 cubic meters

2. The UK will rejoin the EU

3. The EU will collapse after the UK's return; Euro will drop out of use as the former EU currency

4. Poland and Hungary will occupy western regions of the formerly existing Ukraine

5. The Fourth Reich will be created, encompassing the territory of Germany and its satellites, i.e., Poland, the Baltic states, Czechia, Slovakia, the Kiev Republic, and other outcasts

6. War will break out between France and the Fourth Reich. Europe will be divided, Poland repartitioned in the process

7. Northern Ireland will separate from the UK and join the Republic of Ireland

8. Civil war will break out in the US, California. and Texas becoming independent states as a result. Texas and Mexico will form an allied state. Elon Musk'll win the presidential election in a number of states which, after the new Civil War's end, will have been given to the GOP

9. All the largest stock markets and financial activity will leave the US and Europe and move to Asia

10. The Bretton Woods system of monetary management will collapse, leading to the IMF and World Bank crash. Euro and Dollar will stop circulating as the global reserve currencies. Digital fiat currencies will be actively used instead

Season greetings to you all, Anglo-Saxon friends, and their happily oinking piglets!

Musk's initial response:

QuoteElon Musk
@elonmusk
11h

Epic thread!!

QuoteElon Musk
@elonmusk
6h

Those are definitely the most absurd predictions I've ever heard, while also showing astonishing lack of awareness of the progress of artificial intelligence and sustainable energy.
Bretton Woods ended in the 1970's.  I'm surprised Medvedev didn't know that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

I predict that Medvedev and Musk will continue to be dipshits next year.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on December 27, 2022, 01:07:12 PMBretton Woods ended in the 1970's.  I'm surprised Medvedev didn't know that.

Bretton Woods was more than just the dollar gold peg.  It also founded the World Bank and the IMF.

Legbiter

Quote from: grumbler on December 27, 2022, 09:37:12 AMI did have to laugh at the incredibly awkward way Hooper kept harping on his pet peeve that the US is building aircraft carriers when that has nothing whatsoever to do with the war in Ukraine.

I honestly did not pick up on the axe-grind the journo had. Presumably he sees aircraft carriers as something akin to defenseless WW II British battleships once HYPERSONIC Chinese missiles blot out the sky. :D 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on December 27, 2022, 01:07:12 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 27, 2022, 04:19:37 AMMedvedev engaging in some wishful thinking:

https://twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/1607487338401206273

QuoteDmitry Medvedev
@MedvedevRussiaE
Russia government official

On the New Year's Eve, everybody's into making predictions

Many come up with futuristic hypotheses, as if competing to single out the wildest, and even the most absurd ones.

Here's our humble contribution.

What can happen in 2023:
1.  Oil price will rise to $150 a barrel, and gas price will top $5.000 per 1.000 cubic meters

2. The UK will rejoin the EU

3. The EU will collapse after the UK's return; Euro will drop out of use as the former EU currency

4. Poland and Hungary will occupy western regions of the formerly existing Ukraine

5. The Fourth Reich will be created, encompassing the territory of Germany and its satellites, i.e., Poland, the Baltic states, Czechia, Slovakia, the Kiev Republic, and other outcasts

6. War will break out between France and the Fourth Reich. Europe will be divided, Poland repartitioned in the process

7. Northern Ireland will separate from the UK and join the Republic of Ireland

8. Civil war will break out in the US, California. and Texas becoming independent states as a result. Texas and Mexico will form an allied state. Elon Musk'll win the presidential election in a number of states which, after the new Civil War's end, will have been given to the GOP

9. All the largest stock markets and financial activity will leave the US and Europe and move to Asia

10. The Bretton Woods system of monetary management will collapse, leading to the IMF and World Bank crash. Euro and Dollar will stop circulating as the global reserve currencies. Digital fiat currencies will be actively used instead

Season greetings to you all, Anglo-Saxon friends, and their happily oinking piglets!

Musk's initial response:

QuoteElon Musk
@elonmusk
11h

Epic thread!!

QuoteElon Musk
@elonmusk
6h

Bretton Woods ended in the 1970's.  I'm surprised Medvedev didn't know that.

Time flow differently in russia

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

Does that mean the US/North America is Aman? :hmm:

Tonitrus

Also, Budapest/Hungary might be a more fitting Isengard.  Belarus can be Mount Gundabad/Angmar.