Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on December 22, 2022, 04:58:15 PMProtocol for even routine visits is carefully planned in advance. And this one is most definitely not one of those.

Zelenski's attire is a statement, but not just from the Ukrainian side.

Have you guys not been watching Zelenskyy for the last 10 months?  He hasn't wrong a suit that whole time.

I would say he actually dressed up for addressing Congress yesterday.  Normally he's just wearing a t-shirt.  Yesterday he seemed to be wearing his nicest green-coloured sweatshirt with a tasteful little tryzub.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

When I thought I had seen everything: drone-on-drone medevac.

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1605924243153223682

(and this made me break my twitter boycott :()

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on December 23, 2022, 04:35:30 AMWhen I thought I had seen everything: drone-on-drone medevac.

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1605924243153223682

(and this made me break my twitter boycott :()

It's for a good cause.  ;)

No drone left behind!

Legbiter

Deputy of the Legislative Assembly of Vladimir Region, Pavel Antov, died after falling out of a third floor window in a hotel in India. Apparently he was also one of the richest deputies. :wacko:

Another Putin critic 'falls out a window' to his death
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

Medvedev engaging in some wishful thinking:

https://twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/1607487338401206273

QuoteDmitry Medvedev
@MedvedevRussiaE
Russia government official

On the New Year's Eve, everybody's into making predictions

Many come up with futuristic hypotheses, as if competing to single out the wildest, and even the most absurd ones.

Here's our humble contribution.

What can happen in 2023:
1.  Oil price will rise to $150 a barrel, and gas price will top $5.000 per 1.000 cubic meters

2. The UK will rejoin the EU

3. The EU will collapse after the UK's return; Euro will drop out of use as the former EU currency

4. Poland and Hungary will occupy western regions of the formerly existing Ukraine

5. The Fourth Reich will be created, encompassing the territory of Germany and its satellites, i.e., Poland, the Baltic states, Czechia, Slovakia, the Kiev Republic, and other outcasts

6. War will break out between France and the Fourth Reich. Europe will be divided, Poland repartitioned in the process

7. Northern Ireland will separate from the UK and join the Republic of Ireland

8. Civil war will break out in the US, California. and Texas becoming independent states as a result. Texas and Mexico will form an allied state. Elon Musk'll win the presidential election in a number of states which, after the new Civil War's end, will have been given to the GOP

9. All the largest stock markets and financial activity will leave the US and Europe and move to Asia

10. The Bretton Woods system of monetary management will collapse, leading to the IMF and World Bank crash. Euro and Dollar will stop circulating as the global reserve currencies. Digital fiat currencies will be actively used instead

Season greetings to you all, Anglo-Saxon friends, and their happily oinking piglets!

Musk's initial response:

QuoteElon Musk
@elonmusk
11h

Replying to @MedvedevRussiaE

Epic thread!!

To be fair, he added 5 hours later:

QuoteElon Musk
@elonmusk
6h

Replying to @elonmusk and @MedvedevRussiaE

Those are definitely the most absurd predictions I've ever heard, while also showing astonishing lack of awareness of the progress of artificial intelligence and sustainable energy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Interesting article on American support for Ukraine.

QuoteThe list of American security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of Russia's "unprovoked and brutal invasion" is impressive. What is more impressive is that $21.9 billion in U.S. military aid has been dominated by largely second-string gear, comprised of unpopular or lower-tech systems that were, in many cases, on the way to the scrapyard.

Ukraine Converts $21.9 Billion In U.S. Military Surplus Into Fearsome Force

TLDR: The US military aid being provided is mostly obsolete surplus that the Ukrainians are geniuses at turning into stacks of dead Russians.

The Larch

Another way to see it would be that the US army is so ridiculously overpowered that even their lower grade stuff is really effective in the battlefield.

Legbiter

Syt

So apparently during an informal meeting of CIS members, Putin presented members with a ring wishing all the best for the new year:

https://en.newizv.ru/news/2022-12-27/brotherhood-of-the-ring-putin-presented-the-heads-of-the-cis-countries-with-new-year-s-rings-391772

9 rings total. "Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die"? :unsure: :ph34r:

(Though I guess technically he gave out 8 rings, one was for Russia, i.e. himself.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Combo of 2 and 3 made me actually chuckle.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Legbiter on December 27, 2022, 06:48:57 AMInteresting article on American support for Ukraine.

QuoteThe list of American security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of Russia's "unprovoked and brutal invasion" is impressive. What is more impressive is that $21.9 billion in U.S. military aid has been dominated by largely second-string gear, comprised of unpopular or lower-tech systems that were, in many cases, on the way to the scrapyard.

Ukraine Converts $21.9 Billion In U.S. Military Surplus Into Fearsome Force

TLDR: The US military aid being provided is mostly obsolete surplus that the Ukrainians are geniuses at turning into stacks of dead Russians.

and giving is to the Ukrainians is probably cheaper for the US taxpayer than scrapping it and paying for that.

Josquius

Or giving it to cops...
Real two birds one stone stuff
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

What's interesting to me is that Forbes has, at least according to my youtube feed, been trying to position itself as the thinking man's Republican media.  Lots of clickbait about Biden's gaffes and stumbling around.  This could be seen as a shot across the bows of Republicans who are trying to politicize aid to Ukraine.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 27, 2022, 07:53:07 AMand giving is to the Ukrainians is probably cheaper for the US taxpayer than scrapping it and paying for that.

Still have to ship it and train people.