Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 22, 2022, 12:21:58 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 22, 2022, 11:41:21 AMI actually think it was just his typical super oversized suit jacket that I presume he believes hides his gut (it doesn't.)
I know the 2020 election had many other angles but I also think it pitted America's best dressed male politician v its worst.

I dunno...Trump's suits are normal/boring, but his dress attire is about average for a stocky man in his 70's.  Certainly not "worst" dressed...unless you're including the hair and the orange tan...then fair play.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 22, 2022, 12:26:50 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 22, 2022, 12:21:58 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 22, 2022, 11:41:21 AMI actually think it was just his typical super oversized suit jacket that I presume he believes hides his gut (it doesn't.)
I know the 2020 election had many other angles but I also think it pitted America's best dressed male politician v its worst.

I dunno...Trump's suits are normal/boring, but his dress attire is about average for a stocky man in his 70's.  Certainly not "worst" dressed...unless you're including the hair and the orange tan...then fair play.

Nah - Trump's suits are ill-fitting, he uses scotch tape to hold his tie in place, he hardly ever deviates from the white-shirt-red-tie look.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on December 22, 2022, 12:30:40 PMNah - Trump's suits are ill-fitting, he uses scotch tape to hold his tie in place, he hardly ever deviates from the white-shirt-red-tie look.
And the length of his tie :bleeding:

Also golfing clothes, a perennial American flaw :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on December 22, 2022, 12:30:40 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 22, 2022, 12:26:50 PMI dunno...Trump's suits are normal/boring, but his dress attire is about average for a stocky man in his 70's.  Certainly not "worst" dressed...unless you're including the hair and the orange tan...then fair play.

Nah - Trump's suits are ill-fitting, he uses scotch tape to hold his tie in place, he hardly ever deviates from the white-shirt-red-tie look.

In other words normal/boring but average for a stocky man in his 70s.  Except for the scotch tape.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2022, 12:48:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 22, 2022, 12:30:40 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 22, 2022, 12:26:50 PMI dunno...Trump's suits are normal/boring, but his dress attire is about average for a stocky man in his 70's.  Certainly not "worst" dressed...unless you're including the hair and the orange tan...then fair play.

In other words normal/boring but average for a stocky man in his 70s.  Except for the scotch tape.

Most men in their 70s don't wear suits regularly.  Most men in their 70s don't carry themselves out as billionaires.

I hardly expect him to be a fashion plate, but just getting a properly-fitting suit would make him look a lot better.  And a tie clip.

Richard Hakluyt

For some reason Trump's ties infuriate me. They are too big for a start, they just don't look right...is he compensating for something?

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 22, 2022, 01:18:09 PMFor some reason Trump's ties infuriate me. They are too big for a start, they just don't look right...is he compensating for something?

The size of his gut, I think.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, I think the main weirdness to Trump being such a poor dresser is he is a wealthy man who came up in the era when businessmen were expected to have immaculately tailored, well fitted suits as a sign of power / prestige / wealth. If you see pictures of him in the 70s and 80s he mostly fit that definition. Sometime in the late 90s as we got into his The Apprentice era he started dressing like a damn fool. Which is even weirder because on that show he would have had regular access to a professional wardrobe staff who could have dressed him perfectly every single day for no effort by him.

I do think some of it is his personal ego and dislike for fat people (which he is a fat person), so he wears clothing that he thinks "hides it." This is a common fat man mistake--there is never a time when you're fat that wearing oversized clothes makes you look better, properly fitting clothes always make you look your best, if you're fat you're not going to look as good as a toned young guy, but you at least won't look like a damn fool.

Iormlund

Protocol for even routine visits is carefully planned in advance. And this one is most definitely not one of those.

Zelenski's attire is a statement, but not just from the Ukrainian side.

OttoVonBismarck

FWIW I think King Charles III dresses really well (I mean in his suits, not the various regalia.) But he actually dresses so well it would probably be a political liability in an elected official.

Sheilbh

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 22, 2022, 05:00:44 PMFWIW I think King Charles III dresses really well (I mean in his suits, not the various regalia.) But he actually dresses so well it would probably be a political liability in an elected official.
Agree - again for a 70-something dignitary. He dresses very well and, a bit like Biden, clearly has a specific persnal taste.
Let's bomb Russia!