Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Decorum is what less important people worry about.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Zanza

Decorum in an office that was until recently held by Donald Trump?  :lol:

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: PDH on December 21, 2022, 08:22:34 PMDecorum is what less important people worry about.

Except that's stupid and wrong, right? For most of human history the ruling class was actually the font of all concerns about decorum, including almost always the singular ruler. Because one can cherry pick a few modern national leaders who didn't give a shit does not disprove the norm.

Quote from: Zanza on December 22, 2022, 12:50:55 AMDecorum in an office that was until recently held by Donald Trump?

And what pray tell is DJT wearing in that photo?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 22, 2022, 02:06:37 AMAnd what pray tell is DJT wearing in that photo?
Decorum is more than an ill-fitting suit.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 22, 2022, 03:27:31 AM

It's really endearing how these MAGA asshats are able to turn a world leader in wartime negotiating for essential military supplies into some conman trying to put his hand into the collective American pocket.

Richard Hakluyt

I'm sure that when (if?) Ukraine has won the war and the Russians have been expelled from Ukranian soil he will start wearing lounge suits again just like all the other politicians. At the moment though his getup is a symbol for his people. I'm not sure whether he is consciously channeling Churchill but it is very similar I think.

I think we are getting a bargain, Ukraine has tens of thousands of deaths and is holding the line against a rogue regime, we have lost a little bit of money, we support Ukraine so that we don't have to support Poland or the Baltics.

Zanza

@Larch: They are grifters so they assume everybody else is too.

Legbiter

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 22, 2022, 03:53:16 AMI think we are getting a bargain, Ukraine has tens of thousands of deaths and is holding the line against a rogue regime, we have lost a little bit of money, we support Ukraine so that we don't have to support Poland or the Baltics.

Compared to the financial cost of the sandbox misadventures, the cost of Ukrainian military aid is a once-in a-century bargain. It's an enormous bonanza for American defense contractors, free advertisement for their systems and overall enormously strengthens America's geopolitical position while basically taking Russia out as a serious military threat. All for pennies on the dollar. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

Having a signature outfit that signals what you are about has a long history. The same with changing your look temporarily while you are on some great undertaking. Republicans are weirdos.

I don't think it would have furthered Gandhi's cause to wear a suit when visiting 10 Downing Street.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

I think that Zelensky was aware that the symbolic effect of his dress was worth triggering 1/332,403,650th of the US population.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 22, 2022, 02:06:37 AMAnd what pray tell is DJT wearing in that photo?
He's wearing an overcoat.  Indoors!  :thumbsdown:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 22, 2022, 02:06:37 AM
Quote from: PDH on December 21, 2022, 08:22:34 PMDecorum is what less important people worry about.

Except that's stupid and wrong, right? For most of human history the ruling class was actually the font of all concerns about decorum, including almost always the singular ruler. Because one can cherry pick a few modern national leaders who didn't give a shit does not disprove the norm.

Except that is wrong and backwards.  The rulers actions, dress, and manners became decorum.  Perhaps not right away, and there were obvious "decorum ruts" that small minds could not get out of.  Those who lead well understand that decorum is not the dress, manners, etc. rather it is performative aspect the must embody that is proper decorum.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2022, 09:19:49 AM
He's wearing an overcoat.  Indoors!  :thumbsdown:

I actually think it was just his typical super oversized suit jacket that I presume he believes hides his gut (it doesn't.)

Sheilbh

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 22, 2022, 11:41:21 AMI actually think it was just his typical super oversized suit jacket that I presume he believes hides his gut (it doesn't.)
I know the 2020 election had many other angles but I also think it pitted America's best dressed male politician v its worst.
Let's bomb Russia!