News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 21, 2022, 04:17:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2022, 03:25:46 PMBe careful taking the Wet'suwet'en example as being representative of most bands as a whole.  Just now when I google "hereditary chiefs" almost all the articles are taking about the Wet'suwet'en.

Did a course on this some years back, and from what I recall the tension between elders elected under the act and traditional non-elected elders showed up in more than on place. But maybe hereditary chiefs are only a Wet'suwet'en thing, that I don't know.

They are definitely not only a Wet'suwet'en thing.

But there's just so much variability amongst first nations that Wet'suwet'en is not representative of that conflict in most nations that do have them.  Like the T'lingit example I brought up (just because I know it better than most) where the clan elders are part of the band council, and thus not in conflict with it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2022, 04:32:15 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 21, 2022, 04:17:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2022, 03:25:46 PMBe careful taking the Wet'suwet'en example as being representative of most bands as a whole.  Just now when I google "hereditary chiefs" almost all the articles are taking about the Wet'suwet'en.

Did a course on this some years back, and from what I recall the tension between elders elected under the act and traditional non-elected elders showed up in more than on place. But maybe hereditary chiefs are only a Wet'suwet'en thing, that I don't know.

They are definitely not only a Wet'suwet'en thing.

But there's just so much variability amongst first nations that Wet'suwet'en is not representative of that conflict in most nations that do have them.  Like the T'lingit example I brought up (just because I know it better than most) where the clan elders are part of the band council, and thus not in conflict with it.

Which is why I said they are the only case where there was a claim of authority over the election council members.   :)

Josephus

Don't Indigenous get some GST or other sales tax discount? I vaguely remember a high school girlfriend who worked at a retail store, and she used to say something about Indigenous showing her their card for a discount.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Turns out police did not tell the Feds that they needed the emergency act powers, which was the reason the government said they invoked the Act.

crazy canuck

Polling reported in the Globe and Mail shows support Canadians have for our immigration levels has dramatically increased since the 70s. Support then was in the mid-30s and is now 69%.

I remember watching PSA Commercials in the 70s explaining that immigrants were not bad people, we're not stealing our jobs etc.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 26, 2022, 07:19:22 AMPolling reported in the Globe and Mail shows support Canadians have for our immigration levels has dramatically increased since the 70s. Support then was in the mid-30s and is now 69%.

I remember watching PSA Commercials in the 70s explaining that immigrants were not bad people, we're not stealing our jobs etc.

Well, the Feds do a shit job at welcoming and integrating immigrants and they want more, more, more.  Even immigrants themselves are annoyed they're welcoming so many new immigrants.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 26, 2022, 10:52:51 PMWell, the Feds do a shit job at welcoming and integrating immigrants and they want more, more, more.  Even immigrants themselves are annoyed they're welcoming so many new immigrants.

No we are not.

Zoupa

Grey Fox

Do the Feds actually do anything for integration?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 26, 2022, 10:52:51 PMEven immigrants themselves are annoyed they're welcoming so many new immigrants.

What immigrants do you have in mind?  The ones I have met, and know personally, are actually quite interested in welcoming others rather than pulling up the ladder behind them.

Barrister

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/sask-mla-colin-thatcher-1.6631642

Colin Thatcher.  Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time.

He was a former PC Cabinet Minister in the 1980s under Premier Grant Devine.  He then went and murdered his wife.

I lived in Saskatchewan in the 1980s, and even as a kid I knew what a huge story this was.  It was regularly in the news and the paper as it went to trial, where he was ultimately convicted and given a life sentence.  According to this article he received full parole in 2006 and is now in his 80s.

And then some idiot invited him to Saskatchewan's speech from the throne the other day. :frusty:

Yeah, that's a great look for a party wanting to seem "tough on crime".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Canada are issuing bonds to support Ukraine

QuoteThe new Ukraine Sovereignty Bonds will be offered by participating financial institutions in denominations and rates of return which will be announced soon. Those who choose to invest in this bond will, in effect, be purchasing a regular Government of Canada five-year bond backed by Canada's triple-A credit rating. Canada is the first country in the world outside of Ukraine to offer a bond for purchase in support of Ukraine.

https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2022/10/28/prime-minister-announces-new-measures-support-ukraine#:~:text=Canada%20is%20the%20first%20country,which%20has%20already%20been%20disbursed

I think I'll get some, unless the rates are terrible.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2022, 01:34:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 26, 2022, 10:52:51 PMEven immigrants themselves are annoyed they're welcoming so many new immigrants.

What immigrants do you have in mind?  The ones I have met, and know personally, are actually quite interested in welcoming others rather than pulling up the ladder behind them.
Some comments I have read.  Some of the more recent arrivals are annoyed that they are facing long delays to get their paperwork in order and the government want even more people in Canada without having the necessary resources.

There is a difference between being welcoming and being Liberal. ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 26, 2022, 11:16:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 26, 2022, 10:52:51 PMWell, the Feds do a shit job at welcoming and integrating immigrants and they want more, more, more.  Even immigrants themselves are annoyed they're welcoming so many new immigrants.

No we are not.
Well, you're naturalized citizen by now.  It's not like you have to wait in line to get some document or another from the Federal government that takes years to renew because they can't deliver the services, despite hiring 35 000 new people over the least 3 years.

Those who need new passports, visas, forms, however, they are not happy that their services are swamped.  Those refugees that recently arrived after suffering severe trauma, they would have liked a little more help from their new government.  But that is nothing new. 

Again, provinces and local communities are taking matters into their own hands, doing the Feds job.

viper37

As were discussing the allegiance to the King the other day, it came up again today.
Quote128 Every Member of the Senate or House of Commons of Canada shall before taking his Seat therein take and subscribe before the Governor General or some Person authorized by him, and every Member of a Legislative Council or Legislative Assembly of any Province shall before taking his Seat therein take and subscribe before the Lieutenant Governor of the Province or some Person authorized by him, the Oath of Allegiance contained in the Fifth Schedule to this Act; and every Member of the Senate of Canada and every Member of the Legislative Council of Quebec shall also, before taking his Seat therein, take and subscribe before the Governor General, or some Person authorized by him, the Declaration of Qualification contained in the same Schedule.
1867 Constitutional Act.

So, PQ and QS MNA will be barred from the National Assembly until they swear allegiance to the King, as per the decision of the current (soon to be former) President of the Assembly.