News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

The new Dr who episode had a lot of nonsensical stuff (where the hell did Graham come from, what's the point in forced regeneration as a seperate thing etc.... ) though was pretty decent.
Next series won't be till November 2023. Which sucks hugely.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Cabinet of Curiosities, S1. A mixed bag, which is kind of the point of this kind of show I suppose. Nice to see some old familar faces. The Lovecraft episodes are the most enjoyable.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on October 30, 2022, 02:38:02 PMCabinet of Curiosities, S1. A mixed bag, which is kind of the point of this kind of show I suppose. Nice to see some old familar faces. The Lovecraft episodes are the most enjoyable.

Watched the Pinkman's Model episode as Halloween entertainment. It is well done. You always have to make up lots of plot to adapt those Lovecract tales, since they have very little action - while at the same time not losing the "mental" part of it which is what makes Lovecraft so great - and I think they made a decent job of it here. That said, I wish they had finished the episode with the original ending instead of the additional twist they made up.

Also, slightly disappointed that Del Toro doesn't direct a single episode. He has been circling Lovecraft all his life, but it never happens.

Solmyr

Henry Cavill is leaving The Witcher after season 3: https://www.ign.com/articles/the-witcher-renewed-for-season-4-by-netflix-liam-hemsworth-to-replace-henry-cavill-as-geralt-of-rivia

I guess the series is fucked when the number one fan and actor whose dream role this was is leaving.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Solmyr on November 01, 2022, 02:05:24 AMHenry Cavill is leaving The Witcher after season 3: https://www.ign.com/articles/the-witcher-renewed-for-season-4-by-netflix-liam-hemsworth-to-replace-henry-cavill-as-geralt-of-rivia

I guess the series is fucked when the number one fan and actor whose dream role this was is leaving.

If you have people working on a series where they actively shit on the source material chances that it'll suck increase dramatically.

celedhring

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 01, 2022, 02:10:02 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on November 01, 2022, 02:05:24 AMHenry Cavill is leaving The Witcher after season 3: https://www.ign.com/articles/the-witcher-renewed-for-season-4-by-netflix-liam-hemsworth-to-replace-henry-cavill-as-geralt-of-rivia

If you have people working on a series where they actively shit on the source material chances that it'll suck increase dramatically.

I'd say it depends on the source material  :P

Hitchcock famously said he loved adapting bad pulpy books (with intriguing concepts) because he then had more freedom for making changes than when he adapted well-known books.

celedhring

Also, I'll go and say that the Witcher books - which I like a lot - are terrible for adapting to the screen. When you come down to it there's very little plot on each book, and loads and loads of long dialogue scenes (which is nice, they are super-idiosyncratic when compared to your run of the mill fantasy series). But what I mean is that a "faithful" adaptation was never feasible, although what they did instead was rather poor.

HVC

Don't know why they'd try a season 4, though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

The Outsider. American in 1950s Japan helps, joins the yakuza. Totally OK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on November 01, 2022, 03:17:06 AMDon't know why they'd try a season 4, though.

All in all, it's been one of their more successful shows. But yeah, it seems a bad idea.

A pity, GoT opened the window for having a bunch of fantasy sagas get big budget adaptations and what we have got so far is mediocre at best.

HVC

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2022, 03:58:02 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 01, 2022, 03:17:06 AMDon't know why they'd try a season 4, though.

All in all, it's been one of their more successful shows. But yeah, it seems a bad idea.

A pity, GoT opened the window for having a bunch of fantasy sagas get big budget adaptations and what we have got so far is mediocre at best.

It's been successful in very large part to Cavill, don't know how lesser Hemsworth will fare. I really liked the first season.  Second was spotty. Never had the best writing, and it got worse. Never read the books nor played the game so isn't know if that's on the poor source material like you say, or just that fact that tv fantasy seems to get the short end of the writing stick (looking at you lord of the rings and wheel of time)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on November 01, 2022, 04:17:30 AM

It's been successful in very large part to Cavill, don't know how lesser Hemsworth will fare. I really liked the first season.  Second was spotty. Never had the best writing, and it got worse. Never read the books nor played the game so isn't know if that's on the poor source material like you say, or just that fact that tv fantasy seems to get the short end of the writing stick (looking at you lord of the rings and wheel of time)

I didn't say that The Witcher books are poor, just that they are not the best material for TV.

But yeah, all those fantasy adaptations seem to get very poor writing for some odd reason. HoD is the only one that's holding up (it's not nearly as good as GoT, but that's due to the fact that the Song of Fire & Ice novels are much more compelling material).

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on November 01, 2022, 04:17:30 AM

Season 1 generally stuck pretty closely to the books, and yes, it was mostly good. Some issues; the dwarfs as dwarves thing was painful, but generally great.
Season 2 they veered wildly away from the books doing completely new stuff. And...yeah. It dropped down to mediocre. I still watched it but I was no longer hyped for the next episode every time.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 31, 2022, 04:38:32 PMAlso, slightly disappointed that Del Toro doesn't direct a single episode. He has been circling Lovecraft all his life, but it never happens.

He's been rumoured since forever to want to do a film version of "At the Mountains of Madness", which would be spectacular, but it seems it'll never get done.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2022, 03:00:33 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 01, 2022, 02:10:02 AM

I'd say it depends on the source material  :P

Hitchcock famously said he loved adapting bad pulpy books (with intriguing concepts) because he then had more freedom for making changes than when he adapted well-known books.

It's one thing to adapt with use of some liberties and despising the source material resulting in changes that are running totally counter to the lore (like the relation between Yen and Ciri on Netflix as opposed to the books)

I do agree that the books aren't the easiest to adapt though and that they also aren't a standard fantasy experience.