News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2022, 10:43:22 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 01, 2022, 07:39:10 AMI really do not understand why things like the Wheel of Time and Lord of the Rings have such mediocre writing.

It isn't money, right? These things have absolutely insane budgets. Surely paying the best writers is no obstacle.

RoP had two novice showrunners, but Amazon surrounded them with veterans from good shows. So yeah, money is not a problem.

My personal theory is that stuff like RoP or Wheel of Time are very action-adventure oriented, and we really don't have many examples of this kind of show working on TV. Not saying that it can't be done, just that it's a relatively new genre (the Marvel and Star Wars shows are in the same category, and they have been wildly uneven). GoT had a very strong drama foundation which is something that TV has done very well for many years. It is very character-centric.

I guess that Martin's background as a former TV writer also helps?

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2022, 10:43:22 AMRoP had two novice showrunners, but Amazon surrounded them with veterans from good shows. So yeah, money is not a problem.

My personal theory is that stuff like RoP or Wheel of Time are very action-adventure oriented, and we really don't have many examples of this kind of show working on TV. Not saying that it can't be done, just that it's a relatively new genre (the Marvel and Star Wars shows are in the same category, and they have been wildly uneven). GoT had a very strong drama foundation which is something that TV has done very well for many years. It is very character-centric.

My theory:

Film/ TV does really well in terms of writing if:

1) There's a strong auteur/ visionary who also has the power to implement that vision; or if

2) There's a strong body of successful works in that genre that the writing group & executives (and who ever else interferes with the script) can refer to as they decide what to emulate, what to avoid, and what to deliberately diverge from (which is a large part of the creative process IMO).

I think fantasy TV (and to a lesser extent film) lacks 2). I'm guessing 1) was also absent.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on November 01, 2022, 10:52:55 AMI guess that Martin's background as a former TV writer also helps?

Definitely did. Martin has been pretty open about writing A Song of Ice and Fire in large part because he knew he'd never get the budget to do it on TV first.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Yeah I feel like a lot of the best, most talked-about moments of GoT came right from Martin's books, and the show appeared to come off the rails once they passed the end of the books (despite getting Martin's guidance on the story).

Not that the GoT showrunners weren't quite capable, and the series had a healthy budget, but it wouldn't have been the same if Benioff and Weiss were trying to create an original fantasy TV series.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2022, 12:16:03 PMYeah I feel like a lot of the best, most talked-about moments of GoT came right from Martin's books, and the show appeared to come off the rails once they passed the end of the books (despite getting Martin's guidance on the story).

Not that the GoT showrunners weren't quite capable, and the series had a healthy budget, but it wouldn't have been the same if Benioff and Weiss were trying to create an original fantasy TV series.

Exactly.

The Wheel of Time was difficult for the TV writers to adapt.  The book would go on for (some would say endlessly) chapters to developing themes and context.  Hard to do in a TV series.  Also, the dialogue in the books was not exactly pithy. 

Much easier to cut and paste from the dialogue in the Martin books. 

Sheilbh

Yeah I think fantasy books as a genre are prone to bloat. They tend to be a bit overambitious in initial scope. But no TV adaptation is going to be planned on the basis of 20+ seasons and the actors, writers etc attached will be a bit more like normal prestige TV and want to move on after a few seasons and 5-6 is probably pushing at the limits.

That means you need to make shortcuts and choices around whole sections which might make it less coherent as a whole unless you're really good/clever/lucky.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2022, 10:43:22 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 01, 2022, 07:39:10 AMI really do not understand why things like the Wheel of Time and Lord of the Rings have such mediocre writing.

It isn't money, right? These things have absolutely insane budgets. Surely paying the best writers is no obstacle.

RoP had two novice showrunners, but Amazon surrounded them with veterans from good shows. So yeah, money is not a problem.

I think we are in a time where writers think that the way to make interesting complex characters is to write them either as victims or as shitpots.  Looking at Wheel of Time, Matt who was mischievous is now miserable with abusive parents. Parren who was stolid but amiable has rage issues, etc.  

There was the Superman movies where he spent a lot of it suffering some sort of existential angst and wondering if he should let a busload of people die so he doesn't reveal himself.  Yes, the rationale could make for some interesting questions but it doesn't always translate to something watchable.   
PDH!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on November 01, 2022, 10:24:19 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2022, 09:42:22 AMDagon is awful. Not a fan of Re-Animator either. Just never got into Stuart Gordon, really. Too schlocky.

Dagon was made pretty close to where I live.  ^_^

And yes, it's quite bad, to think that it was Paco Rabal's last film...

Those films only take Lovecraft as an excuse for gore and schlock, not really faithful adaptations.

I would not lump all Re-Animator movies with such broad strokes ; third felt really tired at times.
They are not mainstream movies of course but I remark the excuse for gore was used for Carpenter's the Thing back in 1982. :P

celedhring

Yeah, but Carpenter backed up the gore and rubber creepers with tons of directing talent. The Thing is a horror masterpiece.

Duque de Bragança

I said it was an excuse, a poor one that is.
And yes, Carpenter was at the top of his game in 1982 but the Thing was a huge failure back then, something hard to understand nowadays.

Still, Carpenter being a better director does not make necessarily other movies schlocky gore (maybe Rollin's but he did not adapt Lovecraft).
Not to mention Bottin's great sfx, Morricone and Carpenter's music, a huge budget for a monster movie, biggest one back then, afforded by a Universal production. Kurt Russell and other actors etc.

I'll take the B-movie adaptation such as Re-Animator (Dagon I have to rewatch it was so long ago) any time over the spoon fed crap you indulge in streaming e.g LOTR (series) whatever Star Wars cow milking by Disney.
Re-Animator is pretty well considered these days, albeit not being a genre masterpiece such as the Thing.
Not to mention I suspect the Castilian dubs for Re-Animator did not help. I remember laughing at Romero's Day of the Dead given its ineptness and that's after being exposed to not particularly good dubs in France.
Or it could be you are not into Stuart Gordon, as you said.

PS: actually, the problem may be Brian Yuzna's direction for the inferior sequels. :hmm

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 02, 2022, 10:07:35 AMNot to mention I suspect the Castilian dubs for Re-Animator did not help. I remember laughing at Romero's Day of the Dead given its ineptness and that's after being exposed to not particularly good dubs in France.
Or it could be you are not into Stuart Gordon, as you said.

PS: actually, the problem may be Brian Yuzna's direction for the inferior sequels. :hmm

I don't think I ever watched the Spanish dub of Re-Animator, tbf. I'm a film major, I'll get my degree rescinded if I watch Spanish dubs.

But yeah, I've never got into Yuzna/Gordon, although I've watched tons of their films because they were hugely popular among Spanish college students in the 1990s - there's a reason they both moved to Spain to make films in their late careers. Heck, I even worked in the promotion of "Faust".

Tamas

This new Netflix version of All Quiet on the Western Front is really, really bad.

Josephus

Quote from: Tamas on November 02, 2022, 02:08:10 PMThis new Netflix version of All Quiet on the Western Front is really, really bad.

Really? Was kinda looking forward to it.  :(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on November 02, 2022, 03:50:19 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 02, 2022, 02:08:10 PMThis new Netflix version of All Quiet on the Western Front is really, really bad.

Really? Was kinda looking forward to it.  :(

I am not sure when is it worse: if you have read the novel or not.

For example a lot of the book is explaining trench life in particular during some prolonged Entente artillery strike they endure for days, with some people eventually breaking under the strain etc.

This is how that "introduce viewer to trench war" bit goes: main characters, movie skip from being enlisted to riding trucks toward the front.

Truck is needed by doctor behind the lines so they march the last stretch.

When the ly arrive to the trench it is raining heavily, they are made to shovel water out with helmets. Nerd with glasses already breaks down in crying.

Enemy artillery barrage begins they run into bunker. The panic scene that happened in the book after 4 days of bombardment here happens after around 15 seconds. Bunker collapses on main guy but survives.

And that's it.

From there we fast forward to 7th November 1918,and the movie switches between scenes of cardboard cutout evil proto nazi general and the politician trying to make peace with the French, and the main cast going through different adventures, most of which took inspiration from the book but piled on each other with little to no cohesion, like a fever dream, but that bit isn't intentional.

Then they kill the main guy by having proto nazi general order an attack on some random French Town nearby ("it WILL be part of Germany!") to the troops on the yard of his HQ, and the guy surviving a vicious combat scene so he can be back to a trench to have the death scene from the book minus the drawing.

I can't understand how Germans could butcher and shit on such a great novel of theirs.

The Brain

How to put this... Germans are not to be trusted when it comes to world wars.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.