Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on October 25, 2022, 04:37:34 PMIsn't this classic arbitrage?  Buy something at a low price, hold on to it, sell at a higher price later on.

Remember this isn't free for the shipping companies - they have to pay the not insignificant costs of keeping a ship sitting at sea.

Besides you can look at them providing a valuable service - with LNG storage full or nearly full in Europe, the shipping companies are using their ships as a kind of excess storage until it's needed.

(Abritrage might not exactly be the right word)

Arbitrage is profiting from different concurrent prices for the same product in two separate markets.  :nerd:

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vla1s7bVVig&t=268s

Chairwoman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus sends letter to Biden yesterday which was written back in July (and signed by the 40 members of the caucus) and calls for "vigorous diplomacy, including direct talks with Vladimir Putin to end the war in Ukraine."

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2022, 10:29:34 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vla1s7bVVig&t=268s

Chairwoman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus sends letter to Biden yesterday which was written back in July (and signed by the 40 members of the caucus) and calls for "vigorous diplomacy, including direct talks with Vladimir Putin to end the war in Ukraine."

Might need to refresh your news a tad faster good sir--they withdrew this petition today after it went over like a fart in church.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 25, 2022, 11:22:20 PMMight need to refresh your news a tad faster good sir--they withdrew this petition today after it went over like a fart in church.

Withdrawing a letter after it crashes and burns is not the same as never having sent it in the first place.

Jacob

Yeah that was pretty dumb. I still am generally okay with people making mistakes, quickly realizing it was bad, and then course correcting. But still pretty fucking dopey.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2022, 10:29:34 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vla1s7bVVig&t=268s

Why did they sign it? Any other reason than just being Putin fanpersons?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

Ukrainians just slaughtered the Wagner mercenaries advancing on Bakhmut and retook all their gains over the last 6 months.  :hmm: 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Reading this and noting the map it marks some heavy fighting around some spots on the border.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2022/10/25/a-fierce-ukrainian-mechanized-brigade-is-wrecking-a-russian-mercenary-army-in-one-symbolic-eastern-town/?sh=7230635210b7

I continue to be fascinated about just what is happening at the border. Completely understandable why Ukraine won't cross it but seems a really difficult situation for them to have this artificial line they cant cross but the Russians can freely do what they want.

QuoteWhy did they sign it? Any other reason than just being Putin fanpersons
War is bad and the quicker the war ends the better-and the US could play a key role in getting Russia to stop being a cunt and continuing the war?
Nothing about being a Putin fan at all.

QuoteMight need to refresh your news a tad faster good sir--they withdrew this petition today after it went over like a fart in church.
As I understand it they withdrew it because the republicans were making noise about dropping support for Ukraine and they didn't want the two to become conflated as that's the complete opposite of what they meant with the letter.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on October 26, 2022, 11:35:34 AMWar is bad and the quicker the war ends the better-and the US could play a key role in getting Russia to stop being a cunt and continuing the war?

Meanwhile in the real world wanting the US to lean on Ukraine to accept a partial Russian victory in a situation where the war is going badly for Russia (which was true during the summer and is true now) means you support Putin.

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on October 26, 2022, 11:43:55 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 26, 2022, 11:35:34 AMWar is bad and the quicker the war ends the better-and the US could play a key role in getting Russia to stop being a cunt and continuing the war?

Meanwhile in the real world wanting the US to lean on Ukraine to accept a partial Russian victory in a situation where the war is going badly for Russia (which was true during the summer and is true now) means you support Putin.

That's not where they want the US to lean.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

The problem is that right now any solution acceptable to Russia is unacceptable to Ukraine and vice versa. Until that situation changes there is no possibility for peace.

The United States trying to force a solution unacceptable to one side strikes me as a disastrous notion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on October 26, 2022, 11:45:43 AM

They want the US to escalate the US-Russia situation? I doubt that. And how would they get the Ukrainians to accept a Russian victory without leaning on them?

If they think war to defend yourself, democracy, and freedom against Russia is bad, then they support Putin.

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on October 26, 2022, 11:45:43 AM

Of course it is.

US has very little influence over Russia.  They could try to impose more sanctions but that's about it.

US has a LOT of influence over Ukraine.  Without US support Ukraine would be hard-pressed to continue the war.  US could compel Ukraine to sue for peace very easily.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

QuoteOf course it is.

US has very little influence over Russia.  They could try to impose more sanctions but that's about it.

US has a LOT of influence over Ukraine.  Without US support Ukraine would be hard-pressed to continue the war.  US could compel Ukraine to sue for peace very easily.
Of course it isn't.
They withdrew the letter specifically to avoid this kind of conflation with people who want to threaten withdrawing us support for Ukraine.

Quote from: The Brain on October 26, 2022, 11:53:04 AMThey want the US to escalate the US-Russia situation? I doubt that. And how would they get the Ukrainians to accept a Russian victory without leaning on them?

If they think war to defend yourself, democracy, and freedom against Russia is bad, then they support Putin.

War is bad. It doesn't matter whether one side is entirely in the right or not, just not having a war in the first place is a better situation.

Also do remember that meanwhile in the real world its mostly on your side of the divide that Putin has his fans.
I do note you're the only one talking about a Russian victory here...
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on October 26, 2022, 11:56:44 AMAlso do remember that meanwhile in the real world its mostly on your side of the divide that Putin has his fans.
I do note you're the only one talking about a Russian victory here...

What is my side of which divide?