Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2022, 04:10:16 PMZelensky reports that Russians have placed explosives on Khakhovka hydro damn on the Dnipro river.

If they blow it up that means:

-more electricity loss for Ukraine
-dozens of downstream settlements flooded, including parts of Kherson
-no coolant for the Zaporozhia nuclear plant (largest in Europe)
-no water for Crimea

Charming people, those Russians.

The nuclear plant is concerning.

And interesting as its in territory under Russian control and considered part of Russia supposidely...
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2022, 04:34:02 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 20, 2022, 04:32:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2022, 04:16:19 PMAlso lots of reports that Russians are looting everything that isn't nailed down in Kherson.

They do that everywhere they have been--it is almost like what we all know is true: Russians are a savage and barbarous people.

I'll leave the conclusions people draw to themselves.

But no - theyr'e doing it moreso.  Like they're looting the firetrucks out of the Kherson fire department.

There has been widespread reports of looting everywhere they have been, it is possible this is the first you have heard about it, sure. Both sides in the war are taking anything that has four or more wheels and is capable of self-powered movement anytime they take or move through new territory.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 20, 2022, 06:20:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2022, 04:34:02 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 20, 2022, 04:32:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2022, 04:16:19 PMAlso lots of reports that Russians are looting everything that isn't nailed down in Kherson.

They do that everywhere they have been--it is almost like what we all know is true: Russians are a savage and barbarous people.

I'll leave the conclusions people draw to themselves.

But no - theyr'e doing it moreso.  Like they're looting the firetrucks out of the Kherson fire department.

There has been widespread reports of looting everywhere they have been, it is possible this is the first you have heard about it, sure. Both sides in the war are taking anything that has four or more wheels and is capable of self-powered movement anytime they take or move through new territory.
But only one side is stealing washing machines

celedhring

Apparently the "can you call loitering munitions 'kamikaze drones' despite them being unmanned" debate has got so much notoriety that the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language has ruled on it.  :lol:

According to them, it's correct to do so. Their reasoning is that the function - hurling a flying object full of explosives to a target - is the same, and that there are many examples in language of extending words that would imply possession of will to inanimate objects.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2022, 04:11:39 AMApparently the "can you call loitering munitions 'kamikaze drones' despite them being unmanned" debate has got so much notoriety that the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language has ruled on it.  :lol:

According to them, it's correct to do so. Their reasoning is that the function - hurling a flying object full of explosives to a target - is the same, and that there are many examples in language of extending words that would imply possession of will to inanimate objects.

Surely then "kamikaze bullets" is a correct term?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on October 21, 2022, 04:21:59 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2022, 04:11:39 AMApparently the "can you call loitering munitions 'kamikaze drones' despite them being unmanned" debate has got so much notoriety that the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language has ruled on it.  :lol:

I don't think so, since there aren't non-kamikaze bullets out there? Kamikaze is used to describe the function of the drone (hurl itself to a target and explode) as compared to other drones that don't do that.

My doubt with the whole thing is when you stop being a kamikaze drone and start being just a missile. I suppose it's the "loitering" part, but i.e. the Shaheds don't do much loitering afaik, they are launched directly towards an objective.

Admiral Yi

Jesus.  Get a real job guys.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 21, 2022, 05:40:32 AM

Jesus.  Get a real job guys.

AFAIK the language academics do their work pro bono.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2022, 04:25:24 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 21, 2022, 04:21:59 AM

I don't think so, since there aren't non-kamikaze bullets out there? Kamikaze is used to describe the function of the drone (hurl itself to a target and explode) as compared to other drones that don't do that.

My doubt with the whole thing is when you stop being a kamikaze drone and start being just a missile. I suppose it's the "loitering" part, but i.e. the Shaheds don't do much loitering afaik, they are launched directly towards an objective.

The original usage of the word implied will of a typhoon so that makes sense.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2022, 07:34:38 AMThe original usage of the word implied will of a typhoon so that makes sense.

Sorta.  Kami means "spirits" or, loosely, "of the gods."  Kazi means wind or winds.  Kamikaze then means "Divine Winds."  It was used to describe the typhoons that broke up the Mongol invasion fleets in 1274 and 1281.  The Brits have a similar concept in the "Protestant Wind" during the Spanish Armada invasion attempt.

The essence of the WW2 kamikaze tactics were that "Nippon spirit" could overcome material disadvantage, just as it had in the earlier invasions.

Using the term "kamikaze drones" is a misuse of the idea of the kamikaze, but it conveys the correct idea of what te drones do, so I'm okay with it now.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Crazy_Ivan80

the UAF is on the move again it seems. Apparently they've reached Mylove

celedhring

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 22, 2022, 03:40:21 PMthe UAF is on the move again it seems. Apparently they've reached Mylove

Yes, they're in all our hearts.

Iormlund

:D

The Ukranians claim they've taken two towns on the road south, which would put them practically at the doorstep of Beryslav. If that is true, everything east might have already been evacuated by the Russians, and the Nova Khakovka dam/route is about to be within conventional-artillery reach.  Guess it won't be long before we see if the Russians blow it up.

Legbiter

Might be in the Ukrainian interest to keep the Russians fixed for longer on the west bank in Kherson. The attrition is so favorable and it prevents the Russians from shortening the front.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

celedhring

Apparently Shoigu has told every defence minister he's talked in the past few days that they fear Ukraine might use a dirty bomb... which is quite worrying (and no, not because I believe him one bit)  <_<