Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I agree. This is a prelude to a move to punish all of the evil advisors who led the Tsar, I mean Putin, who loves his people, astray.

Berkut

I am worried that the calls for civilians to evacuate Kherson might be a sign that a target for a tactical nuclear strike has been chosen.

Although I suspect that Russia likely has little or no ability to move and prepare a tactical nuke without our knowing about it....?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2022, 09:53:26 AMI am worried that the calls for civilians to evacuate Kherson might be a sign that a target for a tactical nuclear strike has been chosen.

Although I suspect that Russia likely has little or no ability to move and prepare a tactical nuke without our knowing about it....?

Even the US can't monitor every ox cart carrying metal junk.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2022, 09:53:26 AMI am worried that the calls for civilians to evacuate Kherson might be a sign that a target for a tactical nuclear strike has been chosen.

Yeah altough it could be just gathering slave labour before leaving.

celedhring

Still think that Russia won't detonate a nuke in Ukraine without previous threats/tests.

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on October 20, 2022, 09:59:50 AMStill think that Russia won't detonate a nuke in Ukraine without previous threats/tests.

There have already been threats.

And there isn't going to be a test. A test does exactly the opposite of what you intend - it shows a *lack* of resolve.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Mentioned it in the UK thread but subsea cable connecting Shetland was severed - there are many reasons this happens in the normal course of things.

But it comes after a similar incident with connections to Svalbard and the sabotage of NordStream.

Then I see that there's also been a cable severed in the Med from France - it feels like two in a day is a little coincidental? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

:hmm:  I am terrified by the idea that you might be right.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Anything is possible but that would make very little sense, as we all know a tactical nuke is not going to stop the Ukrainians, and because this isn't WW2 where there are huge fronts with millions of men, it is not going to hit very many soldiers for the amount of trouble it is going to cause.

Probably even more important, is control of Kherson is essential for control of he Dnipro, and for both sides this is important--Russia wants to control Kherson and the Dnipro because it both protects their hold on Crimea, and it makes Ukraine's ability to hold its remaining Black Sea territory harder--from Kherson much of the unoccupied Black Sea of Ukraine is susceptible to artillery bombardment which makes holding it long term difficult--particularly in a scenario which many of us expect where Putin will want to "freeze" the conflict at some point with a mind toward being able to prepare to do better next time around. Nuking Kherson would I think make it more difficult to secure the region long term because you're irradiating territory your soldiers need to hold onto indefinitely. I also think there is genuine risk it could lead to Russia's position with several important neutral countries to unravel.

All that being said, I agree Putin may do it.

PDH

As this whole war has been an escalation of nonsense from the Russians, always willing to trump their previous half-assed attempts with greater inanities, then the likelihood does go up that they will do the ultimate stupid.

"I'll commit suicide, or DIE TRYING!"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Zelensky reports that Russians have placed explosives on Khakhovka hydro damn on the Dnipro river.

If they blow it up that means:

-more electricity loss for Ukraine
-dozens of downstream settlements flooded, including parts of Kherson
-no coolant for the Zaporozhia nuclear plant (largest in Europe)
-no water for Crimea

Charming people, those Russians.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Also lots of reports that Russians are looting everything that isn't nailed down in Kherson.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2022, 04:16:19 PMAlso lots of reports that Russians are looting everything that isn't nailed down in Kherson.

They do that everywhere they have been--it is almost like what we all know is true: Russians are a savage and barbarous people.

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 20, 2022, 04:32:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2022, 04:16:19 PMAlso lots of reports that Russians are looting everything that isn't nailed down in Kherson.

They do that everywhere they have been--it is almost like what we all know is true: Russians are a savage and barbarous people.

I'll leave the conclusions people draw to themselves.

But no - theyr'e doing it moreso.  Like they're looting the firetrucks out of the Kherson fire department.

Tamas

Well if you are not planning to return... Infamously when the Romanians were ordered out of Budapest by the Entente in 1919 they absolutely ransacked the place and not just individual soldiers looting but carrying everything they could (trains, factory machines etc) back to Romania.