Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Quote from: HVC on October 14, 2022, 06:42:04 AMKind of curious to see in what unique and innovative way the new guy makes it worse.

Well according to wiki they're surprisingly competent:

QuoteChancellor and Under-Treasurer
of His Majesty's Exchequer

Incumbent
Vacant
since 14 October 2022
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on October 14, 2022, 07:26:07 AMAnd Kwarteng is gone. Shortest tenure as Chancelor ever?

Building the black guy up, only to take him down.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

QuoteUK Prime Minister
@10DowningStreet
·
The Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt MP @Jeremy_Hunt has been appointed Chancellor of the Exchequer @HMTreasury.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2022, 07:38:05 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 14, 2022, 07:26:07 AMAnd Kwarteng is gone. Shortest tenure as Chancelor ever?

It tends to be a British thing that when we have the first black x, female y, gay z, they have views that go counter to a majority of people from that demographic group and are absolute fucking disasters.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2022, 07:38:05 AM

Sometimes people from minority groups suck too, it's not always a nefarious scheme :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on October 14, 2022, 06:42:04 AMKind of curious to see in what unique and innovative way the new guy makes it worse.

Funny because its going to be true.

Tamas

QuoteShe says her priority is to deliver the economic stability the country needs.

That's why I had to take the difficult decisions I've taken today. The mission remains the same. We do need to raise our country's economic growth levels. We do need to deliver for people across the country. We're committed to delivering on the energy price guarantee which people are already seeing in their bills. But ultimately, we also need to make sure that we have economic stability, and I have to act in the national interest.

Truss admits the situation is "difficult":

I want to be honest, this is difficult. But we will get through this storm and we will deliver the strong and sustained growth that can transform the prosperity of our country for generations to come.

What a train wreck. Of course its difficult because you made it difficult you imbecile.

How many days does she have before she is ousted?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

QuoteAsked what credibility she still has to continue as leader, Truss replies that her actions today have "made sure that we have economic stability in this country".

As the new chancellor, Jeremy Hunt is somebody who shares her desire for a high-growth, low-tax economy, she says.

But we recognise because of current market issues, we have to deliver the mission in a different way. That's why we are absolutely committed to do achieving that stability or what is a very difficult time globally.

:lol:

Sheilbh

Also - the reaction from her backers on the right. E.g. this from Ryan Bourne (formerly of the IEA) - via the Guardian:
QuoteRyan Bourne
@MrRBourne
I'm sorry to say that the honourable path from here would be for @trussliz
 to resign. The Prime Minister was culpable for not making some offsetting fiscal adjustments alongside her trailed tax cuts. The Tory party have since closed off any other route to letting her maintain 1/
those core pledges. There is no point being in position but not in power. Her backbench MPs are forcing her to consolidate the public finances via means antithetical to her economic ideas. She should let the social democrats have their party back.

As I say, not really sure how she survives dumping Kwarteng.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Do you guys regret dumping boris johnson yet?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 25, 2022, 04:15:43 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 25, 2022, 04:11:18 PMNext election it is!  Boris seems the type to try again. And I'm sure he'll be up for another wedding in a few years :D
Yeah I wouldn't bet against it. And - at the risk of incurring Tamas and Garbon's ire - that's Dominic Cummings' theory that Johnson has backed Truss not just to stop Sunak but because he knows she'll be a disaster and there'll be another leadership election for him to go for.

Woo-hoo go us, sheilbh
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Richard Hakluyt

That looks like an iceberg lettuce, it should win by a country mile  :lol: