Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

HVC

Never found jimmy carr funny, with the exception of how he handles hecklers. But I think that's his accent more then anything.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

frunk

Jimmy Carr is at his funniest when other comedians are making fun of him, which is to say he makes a good punching bag.

Tonitrus

The only Brit stand-up comic I really like is Stewart Lee. 

Which might make me a pretentious git.  :P

Admiral Yi

Stand up is an American import, n'est-ce pas? Fairly recent?

Oh wait, I remember there was that dude who did stand up in drag.  Played a general in Valkrye.  I think he was doing stand up in the oughts.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 13, 2022, 09:18:45 PMStand up is an American import, n'est-ce pas? Fairly recent?

Oh wait, I remember there was that dude who did stand up in drag.  Played a general in Valkrye.  I think he was doing stand up in the oughts.
Eddie Izzard - trying (again) to be selected as a Labour candidate. I think this time in Sheffield Central.

Not sure - I think style shifts in the 70s with American comics. But before then you had (with varying degrees of raunch) music hall comedians and at the classier end people like Peter Cook going in the 50s and 60s and the satire boom.

Edit: Apparently Lenny Bruce played Peter Cook's club in Soho in the 60s.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I was curious so checked and wikipedia seems to think standup was born in the UK out of the US import of minstrel shows.

Incidentally the UKs adoption of minstrel shows completely bereft of their original context is something I find fascinating.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 13, 2022, 09:18:45 PMStand up is an American import, n'est-ce pas? Fairly recent?

"Guy that comes on stage and tells some jokes to entertain the audience" has been a pretty established theatrical act since at least the XIXth century in many places. For sure I know Spain had these kind of acts since at least the 1950s, with schticks and such (particularly as part of burlesque shows). Yanks have refined the genre of course, and it's the most influential stand-up tradition nowadays, but the concept is pretty old.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 13, 2022, 09:36:07 PM

Eddie Izzard - trying (again) to be selected as a Labour candidate. I think this time in Sheffield Central.

Not sure - I think style shifts in the 70s with American comics. But before then you had (with varying degrees of raunch) music hall comedians and at the classier end people like Peter Cook going in the 50s and 60s and the satire boom.

Edit: Apparently Lenny Bruce played Peter Cook's club in Soho in the 60s.

There's a very long tradition of comics doing stand up in labour/workingmen's clubs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Comedians_%281971_TV_series%29
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

HVC

Kind of curious to see in what unique and innovative way the new guy makes it worse.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2022, 06:34:14 AMLooks like time to say goodbye to Kwasi
Not really sure Truss can survive that. Losing your Chancellor who you are entirely aligned with politically and is key to your project within six weeks because they implemented your signature policies is extraordinary.

I can't think of an another example like this.

And - again just one poll - but there was one poll showing the Tories on 19%. Obviously that won't happen and once either of the main parties goes below 30% the electoral models stop functioning in a way, but if that actually happened they'd be reduced to 4 seats :lol:

Already rumours of Sunak and Mordaunt doing a deal for a coronation - which seems more plausible than the idea I saw of Gove as a caretaker/unity PM within the Tories to try and lose with some dignity/save some seats.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

And Kwarteng is gone. Shortest tenure as Chancelor ever?

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2022, 06:34:14 AMLooks like time to say goodbye to Kwasi

Didn't he say in Washington yesterday aternoon that he wasn't going anywhere?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 14, 2022, 07:26:07 AMAnd Kwarteng is gone. Shortest tenure as Chancelor ever?
No - there's always Iain MacLeod who was the great hope of one nation Tories in the 60s. He was Heath's Chancellor for a month or less before he died very suddenly.

Definitely in terms of being fired in the modern age though (there's probably some 19th century Chancellor who was in office for three days before he realised he couldn't do the job from his estate or something).

QuoteDidn't he say in Washington yesterday aternoon that he wasn't going anywhere?
It's like when the club issue a statement saying the manager has their full support. If someone says they're not going anywhere the only question left is when.
Let's bomb Russia!