Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Raz - I think this is a good thread giving an overview of the various theories and their likelihood.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mloh8zXsXw0

Russian mother yelling at enlistment officials for taking her son.

Crowd is with her, she is not being bundled into a paddy wagon, and she's pretty cute for a Russian mom.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2022, 06:19:09 PMMaybe ecoterrorists.
seems a bit too much for them, underwater operation and all.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2022, 10:10:45 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2022, 06:19:09 PMMaybe ecoterrorists.
seems a bit too much for them, underwater operation and all.

Yeah and why would an Ecoterrorist create an ecological disaster that will contribute a significant amount of methane to our already Disastrous levels of greenhouse gases.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2022, 04:08:56 PMReports some of the first mobilized Russian troops are hitting the front line.

It's been a week since Putin announced the "partial mobilization".  These guys are going to get slaughtered, with absolutely no training.

They all had training, because they all were (at least according to the decree) former members of the Russian army, now in reserve.  One has to think that the Russians, if they are sending in some troops without refresher training, are sending in recently-demobilized solders who presumably wouldn't need training any more than the soldiers currently on active duty.

One never knows with the Russian army, of course.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

Quote from: alfred russel on September 28, 2022, 06:50:00 AMI don't want to retroactive say I had the position that we should leave NATO after the conclusion of the cold war. It would obviously be a very bad signal to Russia to leave it at this exact moment. So I'll just say that in hindsight, it would have been better to transform NATO from a defensive alliance to something of a military cooperative and at the least give it a new name. If NATO didn't exist, Ukraine would still want closer ties with the west, but the explosive issue of Ukraine joining NATO, with all the baggage of NATO's association with the cold war, would be off the table.

After Putin went crazy and got "re-elected" in 2012, he was always going to go after Ukraine if they went towards Europe. NATO or no NATO, on or off the table, if you believe that NATO fears have somehow pushed putin into a corner, I suggest you stop drinking the muscovy kool-aid.

grumbler

The Russians already played the "technical problems" card to stop deliveries without suffering penalties for failure to fulfill contracts.  They can't play that card again.  They could have played the force majeure card, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

My theory is Zelensky called Macron, asked for some frogmen to blow them up. Macron quickly agreed, because he always wanted to rub Merkel's nose in the mess she made.

It's as valid a theory as any other I've seen so far. :frog:

HVC

Vlad blew it up so he can blow up the new Norway pipe and blame some nefarious others.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on September 28, 2022, 10:59:28 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2022, 04:08:56 PMReports some of the first mobilized Russian troops are hitting the front line.

It's been a week since Putin announced the "partial mobilization".  These guys are going to get slaughtered, with absolutely no training.

They all had training, because they all were (at least according to the decree) former members of the Russian army, now in reserve.  One has to think that the Russians, if they are sending in some troops without refresher training, are sending in recently-demobilized solders who presumably wouldn't need training any more than the soldiers currently on active duty.

I wouldn't give the Russian military the benefit of the doubt at this point.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Solmyr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2022, 08:23:33 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mloh8zXsXw0

Russian mother yelling at enlistment officials for taking her son.

Crowd is with her, she is not being bundled into a paddy wagon, and she's pretty cute for a Russian mom.

That looks like Dagestan.

Saw another video where a mother from Sevastopol says "nothing to do, he has to go, I have another son".

Solmyr

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2022, 11:27:34 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 28, 2022, 10:59:28 PM

I wouldn't give the Russian military the benefit of the doubt at this point.

These guys probably had their training quite some time ago.

Valmy

Looks like members of the Volkssturm but without the 15 year olds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

The meat grinder accepts all grades and ages of meat.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Crazy_Ivan80