Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on September 20, 2022, 04:36:20 PM
Quote from: Josquius on September 20, 2022, 04:13:53 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 20, 2022, 02:10:19 PMThis is charming if true:

QuoteInteresting mood music out of Kazakhstan, re relations with Russia in wake of war on Ukraine.
Astana has started detaining Russian trucks carrying sanctioned EU goods through its territory, Russia's state-run Izvestia reports today.

https://twitter.com/zoyashef/status/1572150745730002944

Fingers crossed he means it about transforming Kazakhstan for the better and doesn't just mean he wants to be sultan instead of the sultan.
So far it looks like he is a true liberal and wants to transform Kazakhstan towards a more free society. Let's hope he keeps on that course.

Kazakhstan's new President has been in key roles in government ever since the independence of the country.  He won his first election with 70% of the vote in an election deemed by the west to not have been fair.  He called in Russian troops when protests  threatened his rule.

He's a reformer the same way Gorbachev was a reformer - he wants to open up the country, but not his leadership.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2022, 10:20:54 AMSo apparently Russia is going ahead after all with referendums in DOnetsk, Luhansk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia oblasts about being incorporated into Russia.

We'll see. Maybe this moron will declare formal war in Ukraine because Russia is being attacked by NATO, institute some form of conscription and hint strongly that he might use nuclear weapons to prevent the newly annexed territories from being liberated by the Ukrainians. Yeah I'm not seeing how this ends well for him.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2022, 04:52:33 PMKazakhstan's new President has been in key roles in government ever since the independence of the country.  He won his first election with 70% of the vote in an election deemed by the west to not have been fair.  He called in Russian troops when protests  threatened his rule.

He's a reformer the same way Gorbachev was a reformer - he wants to open up the country, but not his leadership.
I can't claim I have any indepth knowledge, but he makes this statement in the Politico article:

QuoteThis is why I've decided to call a presidential election this autumn and to introduce legislation preventing all future presidents from serving more than one term.
https://www.politico.eu/article/kazakh-president-we-must-flip-the-switch-of-reform/

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on September 20, 2022, 11:23:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2022, 04:52:33 PMKazakhstan's new President has been in key roles in government ever since the independence of the country.  He won his first election with 70% of the vote in an election deemed by the west to not have been fair.  He called in Russian troops when protests  threatened his rule.

I can't claim I have any indepth knowledge, but he makes this statement in the Politico article:

QuoteThis is why I've decided to call a presidential election this autumn and to introduce legislation preventing all future presidents from serving more than one term.
https://www.politico.eu/article/kazakh-president-we-must-flip-the-switch-of-reform/

Putin did introduce term limits too... We'll see.

Syt

From Guardian coverage:

QuoteRussian president Vladimir Putin is currently speaking to the Russian people. He has started with a string of accusations against western countries, saying there have been many years of "total hatred" against Russia. He accuse the west of starting a war against Russia in Ukraine in 2014.

Putin says a pre-emptive military operation was the only option possible because the west refused to have a peaceful solution to "the Donbas problem" and claiming the right to use nuclear weapons.

Putin said people in the Donbas were being held hostage by Kyiv. He described the people fighting alongside the Russian army as "true patriots".

Putin is saying that they need volunteers fighting alongside the professional Russian army to be treated the same way including with payments and social guarantees.

Putin has said that the Ukrainian army has been trained by Nato and is actually commanded by foreign commanders. He said the politics of terror and intimidation against Russia had intensified.

Putin is now talking about the referendums, saying that Russia will do all it can to ensure safe conditions for the referendums for people to be able to express their will.

Putin says our army is acting as the military frontline exceeding 1,000km facing the whole military operation of the collective west. For the defence of our motherland, Putin says he supports a "partial mobilisation, I stress it is partial mobilisation". Only those who are currently in reserve will be conscripted. The decree of partial mobilisation has been signed.

Summary:

QuoteRussian President Vladimir Putin announces 'partial mobilisation' of Russia

Vladimir Putin has given a national address in which he has announced the partial mobilisation of forces in Russia. He said that the army was facing the military operations of the collective west on a front line of over 1,000km in Ukraine. Those in the military reserves would be called up.

Putin also said Russia would give its full support to the referendums announced for this weekend in Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia to join the Russian Federation. He accused the west of starting a war against Russia in Ukraine in 2014.

"In its aggressive anti-Russian policy the west has crossed all lines," the Russian President said. He accused the west of planning to destroy Russia and use nuclear blackmail.

Putin said he would use "all means available to us" and that those who are trying to use nuclear blackmail against Russia will find the tables can be turned against them. He explicitly said "I'm not bluffing."

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

"I'm not bluffing"

:lol: Meltdown Putin is a hoot, but this is almost getting sad.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

1. Is russia speaking. Yes/no
If no, russia is thinking of lying. Go to 1.
If yes,russia is lying.

-------
So the war will be harder and longer, but the defeat will be all the more complete.

Legbiter

Guess vagrants, the insane asylums and Russian prisons are tapped out, manpower wise. :hmm:

Legbiter

Shoigu says 300.000 reservists will be called up.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Nice from Putin to enact that travel ban on our behalf.

QuoteLiveuamap
@Liveuamap
According to Russian law, since the start of mobilisation(Putin's decree published and in force), all eligible men(25M) are prohibited to leave their areas without document from enlistment office

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on September 21, 2022, 03:23:25 AMNice from Putin to enact that travel ban on our behalf.

QuoteLiveuamap
@Liveuamap
According to Russian law, since the start of mobilisation(Putin's decree published and in force), all eligible men(25M) are prohibited to leave their areas without document from enlistment office

I am 100% certain that bribes can get you through such barriers. Especially since "document from enlistment office" can give you a free pass.

The EU should really have introduced that travel ban. We need scared and angry young men stuck in a trap by Putin in Russia, not flooding into Europe. In Hungary as well, it probably greatly serves the regime's stability that 600k+ people have left instead of staying and voting/protesting.

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on September 21, 2022, 03:23:25 AMNice from Putin to enact that travel ban on our behalf.

QuoteLiveuamap
@Liveuamap

Russia can train, equip and deploy 300,000 soldiers to Ukraine just in time for winter?  :hmm: Logistics are bad enough today.