Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Among all the terrible news from Ukraine at least something that shows a bit humane action: The EU and Norway have flown more than 1200 wounded soldiers from Ukraine so far for medical treatment.

Video from one of those flights:
https://twitter.com/vokinburt_avia/status/1570874060438966272

celedhring

So if I understand the map, 39 of those soldiers were flown from Moldova? That seems interesting.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on September 18, 2022, 09:26:14 AMSo if I understand the map, 39 of those soldiers were flown from Moldova? That seems interesting.

I suspect that they were taken to Moldolva and from there to elsewhere in Europe.  Probably one of those "closest hospitals capable of treating" kinds of things.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2022, 09:18:54 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 16, 2022, 07:45:24 PMThe fact both Xi and Modi have publicly distanced from Putin this week has to have Vlad fuming.
Also Putin was notorious for showing up late to public meetings with foreign leaders as a way of showing his own power/dominance. He's now being stood up by, say, the President of Azerbaijan (among others):
https://twitter.com/skazal_on/status/1570824858401116161?s=20&t=ESTJuFVDpaHh3v3khJ-f8w

Also Putin had to read Chinese talking points to Xi while hunched over... Azerbaijan had a large skirmish with Armenia, the Tajiks and Kyrgyz did as well. If the Japanese want the Kurils now would be the time. Same with Finland and Karelia. The Russian conventional military would at this point be defeated by the Baltics teaming up. :wacko: 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Solmyr

Nobody in Finland seriously wants Karelia.

Josquius

And Japan doesn't claim the kurils. I doubt they even actually want the Northern territories these days but have to keep up appearances.
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

China has gained a nice puppet for the time being.

HVC

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 18, 2022, 03:34:04 PMChina has gained a nice puppet for the time being.

China just made a deal to run a rail line to Europe outside of Russia. So even they're cutting reliance on Russia.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 19, 2022, 10:17:34 AMThis one's pretty interesting:

https://youtu.be/B93tLs39pQo

Yeah Perun seems to know stuff about the war and delivers it in a thoughtful manner complete with sources to check his work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Seems like the Jews are getting the advice from Moscow's Chief Rabbi in exile to leave the country while they still can

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on September 18, 2022, 11:16:51 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 18, 2022, 09:26:14 AMSo if I understand the map, 39 of those soldiers were flown from Moldova? That seems interesting.

I suspect that they were taken to Moldolva and from there to elsewhere in Europe.  Probably one of those "closest hospitals capable of treating" kinds of things.

I don't believe there are any commercial flights operating in Ukraine these days, which might also explain things.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

https://twitter.com/warnerta/status/1571721687619584008

Interesting Twitter thread on why Russia continues to try and advance in the central part of their front with Ukraine even while losing significant amounts of territory around Kharkiv.

The author calls it "Potemkin syndrome" - doing work for the purpose of appearing to do work.  BY shelling and trying to advance towards Bakhmut they can report back to Putin that they're advancing and winning, even if they're losing much more  land (and much more valuable land) in another area.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 19, 2022, 01:05:00 PMSeems like the Jews are getting the advice from Moscow's Chief Rabbi in exile to leave the country while they still can
Makes sense.  Last time a major power lost a war, Jews got blamed for it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Also insert typical Jewish stereotype here + state of the Russian economy.

But more seriously odds are good are huge chunk of non Jewish Russians are looking on the Jews with their easy escape route with envy.

Wonder whether we will be seeing many people getting in touch with their otherwise forgotten jewish roots.
██████
██████
██████