Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Russia lost the Russo-Japanese War, quite handily.
Russia lost World War I (in a rout)
Russia lost the Russo-Polish War (well, it was the USSR...but they were routed again)
Russia lost the Afghanistan War (as was said, much like the US Vietnam experience)
Russia lost the first Chechen War

The idea that Russia can't lose a war because they will keep fighting until they win is a myth.  In the 20th century it has been demonstrated that Russian morale can break and they lose a war.  However, the power of a myth is that it is fundamentally true and not always factually true to those who believe it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 16, 2022, 07:45:24 PMThe fact both Xi and Modi have publicly distanced from Putin this week has to have Vlad fuming.
Also Putin was notorious for showing up late to public meetings with foreign leaders as a way of showing his own power/dominance. He's now being stood up by, say, the President of Azerbaijan (among others):
https://twitter.com/skazal_on/status/1570824858401116161?s=20&t=ESTJuFVDpaHh3v3khJ-f8w
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Why are we even discussing some myth that the Russians never lose wars?  Who claimed that they never did?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

I think it's more the case that Putin will never give up, rather than Russia.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on September 16, 2022, 09:58:58 PMWhy are we even discussing some myth that the Russians never lose wars?  Who claimed that they never did?

"a lot of Western think-tank types"
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2022, 01:53:43 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 16, 2022, 09:58:58 PMWhy are we even discussing some myth that the Russians never lose wars?  Who claimed that they never did?

"a lot of Western think-tank types"

Danke.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on September 17, 2022, 01:11:03 AMI think it's more the case that Putin will never give up, rather than Russia.

Which is why it may prove fatal to Putin if Russia wants to give up.

Admiral Yi

Tamas

I think Putin is as good as dead if he admits defeat and retreats without the very least the Donbas being annexed. It must be seen for the populace (and definitely for the elites) even through the propaganda that this war has severed their links to the developed world and has undone decades of thawing (since Gorbachev, really).

Many of them may not care about this, and may consider it a price worth paying to be defended from NATO aggression, but if then all they get in return for this is bankruptcy and lots of dead soldiers, and cars with 80s technology, that won't fly well.

HVC

I don't think the elites would care much.  They can still travel and use their offshore accounts (long ago filled with euros and USD)to buy all the fancy shiny things. The top 100 or so are sanctioned, but there are plenty more. If you want to hit them you have to stop all visas. Lock them into the hell hole they helped create.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on September 17, 2022, 02:25:25 PMI don't think the elites would care much.  They can still travel and use their offshore accounts (long ago filled with euros and USD)to buy all the fancy shiny things. The top 100 or so are sanctioned, but there are plenty more. If you want to hit them you have to stop all visas. Lock them into the hell hole they helped create.

Yeah but that's not so simple. Those highest up don't control their own fiefdoms all by themselves. And more importantly, any spread of unrest amongst the plebs could be utilised by somebody with the ambition to become the next Tsar. And that's not something you want to be on the losing end of.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHiMIICKrlU

Firefight in occupied Kherson.  Russians vs. partisans or Wagner vs Chechens is the speculation.

Solmyr