Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

The running joke in Hungarian about these, which might get lost in translation is, he already tried to kill himself twice, but he wasn't home.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2022, 10:49:00 AMThe running joke in Hungarian about these, which might get lost in translation is, he already tried to kill himself twice, but he wasn't home.

I think it translates just fine, unless there's additional nuance we're missing?

Admiral Yi

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2022, 03:47:11 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2022, 10:49:00 AMThe running joke in Hungarian about these, which might get lost in translation is, he already tried to kill himself twice, but he wasn't home.

I think it translates just fine, unless there's additional nuance we're missing?

It's actually pretty funny.

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on September 01, 2022, 02:39:23 AMNever trust a Russian window...

QuoteThe chairman of the board of Lukoil, Russia's biggest privately held oil producer and one of the few Russian companies to criticize the invasion of Ukraine, has died after falling out of a hospital window, Interfax reports
The family said he died from a short disease, and the Kremlin assured us it has nothing to with politics. 

It's the 8th one this year, to die under mysterious circumstances.  Didn't one commit suicide in Spain?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maximus

Quote from: viper37 on September 01, 2022, 11:53:35 PMThe family said he died from a short disease

I guess six stories is relatively short.

The Larch

QuoteGazprom announces Nord Stream 1 pipeline suspended indefinitely
The Russian energy giant Gazprom has announced that the Nord Stream pipeline 1 will not restart on schedule on Saturday, citing damage to the turbine engine.

In a statement, the company did not give a time frame for restarting the pipeline, claiming it detected an oil leak at the main gas turbine at Portovaya compressor station near St Petersburg.

It said the turbine could not operate safely until the leak was repaired.

celedhring

I guess the Kherson offensive must be going well.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on September 02, 2022, 12:26:17 PM
The Russian energy giant Gazprom has announced that the Nord Stream pipeline 1 will not restart on schedule on Saturday, citing damage to the turbine engine.

In a statement, the company did not give a time frame for restarting the pipeline, claiming it detected an oil leak at the main gas turbine at Portovaya compressor station near St Petersburg.

You know this is a very reasonable sounding explanation. But since it is Russia making it we all automatically assume it is bullshit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 01, 2022, 11:53:35 PMKremlin assured us it has nothing to with politics. 

The Kremlin took it personally this time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2022, 12:49:53 PMYou know this is a very reasonable sounding explanation. But since it is Russia making it we all automatically assume it is bullshit.

It doesn't help that it comes right after the G7's commitment to price cap Russian oil.

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on September 02, 2022, 12:26:17 PM

For now that's manageable. Germany will reach the 85% storage fillgrade it targeted for October 1st early next week despite NS1 being shut down.

Tamas

Good. We need to get through this winter without Europe buckling to Russian blackmail and then we and Ukraine are in the clear.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2022, 01:36:09 PMGood. We need to get through this winter without Europe buckling to Russian blackmail and then we and Ukraine are in the clear.
I agree - I think this winter's the key difficult bit that we need to get through. Here's hoping for a mild one.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2022, 01:36:09 PMGood. We need to get through this winter without Europe buckling to Russian blackmail and then we and Ukraine are in the clear.

Yeah, that's the one card they had left to pressure the West, and now they have already played it.