Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Interesting thought. Maybe Russia aren't lying about destroying every himars in Ukraine twice. They're just wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/08/30/ukraine-russia-himars-decoy-artillery/

The old tricks are the best.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

This is one of the more surreal YouTube videos of Russian soldier intercepts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkbvxTZ4Dhk.  Both conversations are just  :wacko:

"But really it's not that bad.  Though there are lots of those who died."

OttoVonBismarck

I'm a little skeptical Ukraine really has the resources to stage a successful major offensive, but I guess we will see how it goes.

crazy canuck

I am hoping they are pulling a Schwarzkopf, directing the Russian's attention to one place, when their true objective is another - but I am not sure what that other objective might be.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 30, 2022, 01:13:10 PMI am hoping they are pulling a Schwarzkopf, directing the Russian's attention to one place, when their true objective is another - but I am not sure what that other objective might be.

Izyum is always an option.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 30, 2022, 01:13:10 PMI am hoping they are pulling a Schwarzkopf, directing the Russian's attention to one place, when their true objective is another - but I am not sure what that other objective might be.

Or they're hoping for Russia to divert a bunch of reinforcements to kherson so they can blast them on river crossing.
Its dumb for Russia to try and hold it yet so very in character for them to throw good money after bad and try.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Josquius on August 30, 2022, 06:54:43 AMInteresting thought. Maybe Russia aren't lying about destroying every himars in Ukraine twice. They're just wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/08/30/ukraine-russia-himars-decoy-artillery/

The old tricks are the best.

And also the kind of thing that responsible "officials" should not be talking to the press about. 

The Larch

Apparently two high ranking members of the German Economy Ministry have been temporarely relieved of their duties on suspicion of being Russian assets.

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on August 31, 2022, 09:12:00 AMApparently two high ranking members of the German Economy Ministry have been temporarely relieved of their duties on suspicion of being Russian assets.
So far, there is no evidence for them being Russian spies and not just sympathizers. As you may have noticed there are quite a few Russophiles in Germany for whatever reasons.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on August 31, 2022, 12:23:52 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 31, 2022, 09:12:00 AMApparently two high ranking members of the German Economy Ministry have been temporarely relieved of their duties on suspicion of being Russian assets.
So far, there is no evidence for them being Russian spies and not just sympathizers. As you may have noticed there are quite a few Russophiles in Germany for whatever reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIAXG_QcQNU

Zanza

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 31, 2022, 12:27:28 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIAXG_QcQNU
Obviously there are paid Russian assets, e.g. Schröder or people like Warnig.

But there is a surprising number of Russophiles for non-monetary reasons here. I guess the spectrum covers former commies who still see Russia as a brother people, some Russians that moved to Germany, people who oppose American/NATO/Western imperialism and like Russia under the enemy of my enemy principle, some who like Russian culture or have personal ties there, fascists that like Putin as an authoritarian idol, industrialists who like Russia as a market etc.

You find them in all swathes of society and all political parties. The German fascination or engagement or whatever with Russia goes way beyond some people getting paid or some profiting from trade.

PDH

It seems the Ukrainian plan in Kherson is not an all out assault, as OvB said I don't think they have the forces to do this without horrific casualties, but rather a huge trap.  What they have done is announce their attack for months, damage the bridges into Kherson, and when the Russians packed more troops there to defend the perimeter, they knocked the bridges out almost fully.

The pontoon bridges and barges will not get full supplies into the city, and while likely enough can get in to keep the troops from starving, they have created a huge pocket of soldiers who are likely underfed, under supplied with ammo, and who have lowering morale.

The tragedy is that there are all the civilians there too, and despite the Ukrainian authorities telling the people to horde food and hide away, the suffering will be immense.  It is a horrible calculus, but as the Ukrainians don't have the equipment and trained manpower to do anything else, it is what seems to be happening.

25k Russians and their vehicles will take more than the rickity supply lines (and the ammo/fuel/food dumps are still being hit inside Kherson) can manage, and the Russians were unwilling to withdraw and now they are likely unable to.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on August 31, 2022, 12:23:52 PMSo far, there is no evidence for them being Russian spies and not just sympathizers. As you may have noticed there are quite a few Russophiles in Germany for whatever reasons.

Is being a Russian sympathizer grounds for losing a civil service job?  That sounds odd.  A politician losing a position I could understand.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2022, 01:08:11 PM
Quote from: Zanza on August 31, 2022, 12:23:52 PMSo far, there is no evidence for them being Russian spies and not just sympathizers. As you may have noticed there are quite a few Russophiles in Germany for whatever reasons.

Is being a Russian sympathizer grounds for losing a civil service job?  That sounds odd.  A politician losing a position I could understand.

If their sympathies influence how they carry out their jobs - especially if contrary to instructions - it probably is. My impression is that that is what is alleged.