Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2022, 01:08:11 PM
Quote from: Zanza on August 31, 2022, 12:23:52 PMSo far, there is no evidence for them being Russian spies and not just sympathizers. As you may have noticed there are quite a few Russophiles in Germany for whatever reasons.

Is being a Russian sympathizer grounds for losing a civil service job?  That sounds odd.  A politician losing a position I could understand.
The minister certainly has discretion to remove them from their current job if he feels they do not follow his policy. But short of a crime, they cannot lose their status or remuneration.

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on August 31, 2022, 12:23:52 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 31, 2022, 09:12:00 AMApparently two high ranking members of the German Economy Ministry have been temporarely relieved of their duties on suspicion of being Russian assets.
So far, there is no evidence for them being Russian spies and not just sympathizers. As you may have noticed there are quite a few Russophiles in Germany for whatever reasons.

Found an English language article on the topic:

QuoteGerman Economy Ministry officials flagged over possible Russia ties

The German Economy Ministry has asked the country's domestic intelligence agency BfV to look into two senior ministry officials over concerns about their possible ties to Russia, Die Zeit weekly reported on Wednesday.

Die Zeit, citing its own research, said Economy Ministry officials had approached the BfV in the spring about the officials' allegedly pro-Russian stance on issues such as utility Uniper's bailout or state intervention in Gazprom Germania.

Die Zeit did not name the officials.

The BfV looked into the officials' backgrounds, personal relations and travel records, and found no solid evidence so far of spying or corruption, Die Zeit reported.

The Economy Ministry, which said it does not comment on specific cases, said it has maintained close contact with the BfV since the start of the legislative period as the Ministry's work is under particular scrutiny due to its responsibility for energy security.

"In addition, the new administration has completely overhauled the previous government's Russia-friendly policy," an Economy Ministry spokesperson said.

"All efforts of the new administration are aimed at reducing dependence on Russian gas; this policy is rigorously implemented," the spokesperson said.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2022, 01:08:11 PM
Quote from: Zanza on August 31, 2022, 12:23:52 PMSo far, there is no evidence for them being Russian spies and not just sympathizers. As you may have noticed there are quite a few Russophiles in Germany for whatever reasons.

Is being a Russian sympathizer grounds for losing a civil service job?  That sounds odd.  A politician losing a position I could understand.
We did it back in the 1950's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

If they are Russian sympathizers maybe they can't pass security checks necessary for their jobs. You don't have to do anything illegal, or even act in any way blameworthy, to be a security risk.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Never trust a Russian window...

QuoteThe chairman of the board of Lukoil, Russia's biggest privately held oil producer and one of the few Russian companies to criticize the invasion of Ukraine, has died after falling out of a hospital window, Interfax reports

The Brain

Guess that's why they call it window pane.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on September 01, 2022, 02:39:23 AMNever trust a Russian window...

QuoteThe chairman of the board of Lukoil, Russia's biggest privately held oil producer and one of the few Russian companies to criticize the invasion of Ukraine, has died after falling out of a hospital window, Interfax reports

Wow they are really taking the piss with these aren't they, at this stage they could might as well execute them on the street, the message couldn't be clearer.

Josquius

They keep going with the window pushes too. It's like a calling card.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I suppose they need to communicate the risk to others in the Russian elite. If they were genuinely plausible that wouldn't work.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 01, 2022, 05:17:08 AMI suppose they need to communicate the risk to others in the Russian elite. If they were genuinely plausible that wouldn't work.

'If you open a window to the wider world and voice a protest, shortly after you'll end up 'falling' to earth.'
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

If I were a Russian billionaire I'd order the world's biggest bungalow be built.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

It sort of explains the absolutely crazy Russian conspiracy theories like most of history was invented.

If loads of your generals and senior businessmen and critics of the state just keep getting knocked off, plus all the other shady stuff with the state it must be difficult to be a normal level conspiracy theorist.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on September 01, 2022, 05:02:04 AMThey keep going with the window pushes too. It's like a calling card.

In fairness, they seem to be trying to move away from poisoning-too much chance of recovery.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 01, 2022, 10:06:23 AM
Quote from: Josquius on September 01, 2022, 05:02:04 AMThey keep going with the window pushes too. It's like a calling card.

In fairness, they seem to be trying to move away from poisoning-too much chance of recovery.

Presumably if one of these oligarchs did survive a fall from a window, they'd somehow manage to crawl back up the stairs and throw themselves out again?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on September 01, 2022, 10:28:17 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 01, 2022, 10:06:23 AM

Presumably if one of these oligarchs did survive a fall from a window, they'd somehow manage to crawl back up the stairs and throw themselves out again?

:D