News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

The explanation that he was just talking looks right there.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on August 21, 2022, 07:35:08 AMThe explanation that he was just talking looks right there.

And either case it's nobody's business really, but I can see why politically this might be good for her opposition. The fact that she did a ridicolus drug test to fight the stupid allegations seem to show that.

But best of luck to her and it hopefully be a powerful positive message to politics everywhere that you can be a mid-30s lady who can enjoy life AND be a successful responsible politican getting her country into NATO.

Malthus

Reminds me of the old joke: why don't Baptists have sex standing up? Because people might think they are dancing!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Meanwhile, this is how an Austrian conservative politician celebrated her 25th birthday with party friends a few years ago. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on August 21, 2022, 10:59:57 AMMeanwhile, this is how an Austrian conservative politician celebrated her 25th birthday with party friends a few years ago. :P
In fairness the literally horrifying footage of Tory ministers dancing and their (and our entire political class's) enormous love for karaoke should have ended careers here :(
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

No female friends? Slut.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Today I learned... Advil is just ibuprofen.
All this time hearing it mentioned in American media I think I subconsciously filed it away as something a bit stronger. Watching the morning show with Alex constantly asking for one it seems like some kind of pep pill
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

And in Prime Ministers dancing, the (60 year old) Prime Minister of Australia turned up to a concert in his Joy Division t-shirt:

Meanwhile in America, political leaders wax nostalgic about the decline of skiffle :P

Edit: :lol: And obviously because it's Australia he got peer-pressured into downing his beer:
https://twitter.com/Tahls/status/1561664865886150656?s=20&t=HvbLZA5kulQzjd4xY92TVw

Edit: Australian political journalist noting this is now the third recent PM of Australia to publicly skull a beer when asked - I think Bob Hawke has a formal plaque in Oxford from his record-breaking 11 second yard of ale :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Love really will tear us apart

Josquius

There's a brand of toy called toot toot. They're pretty popular these days.
They're basically chunky toy cars that play a variety of songs and sounds when a button is pressed.
My son has somehow came to have a lot of them - hand me downs from various folk whose kids outgrew them.
One odd set he has is toy cars made to look like animals. When pressed they say things like "I am a white sheep. I am very fluffy".
The cow now.
The cow is fucked up.
I am a cow. I make milk. Yep. OK.
I love my baby.... Wait what?
I give my baby a kiss. *smooch*

Well. Nice that they aren't sheltering kids from the reality of the dairy industry I guess?
But the pig says nothing about bacon. He just seems a lay about who lives on the farm and adds nothing.
But they're really on the nose with this poor cow.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Are his toys sponsored by PETA?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Admiral Yi

Is came the standard British past participle of to come, or a regional thing?

Remember when Squeeze was Teh Chav?

The fact that a stuffed dairy cow has a baby is not macabre.  Dairy cows do in fact have offspring and dairy cows are not slaughtered for meat.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2022, 02:45:03 PMIs came the standard British past participle of to come, or a regional thing?
I'd say "has come to have". I saw a thread by an award-winning American novelist that reminded me of you noting grammar from Brits:
QuoteBrandon
@blgtylr
The way you never know what is going to come out of a British person's mouth when they use the past tense of a verb? Exquisite.
Subject-verb agreement over there? Lawless. Absolutely lawless. Agreeing in number? WHO CAN SAY.
I just watched Adele conjugate "to be" like four different ways in like three different sentences, all of which were past tense. Exquisite. Lawless land.
Yes, class, but, like, even y'all's Oxford-educated YouTubers be over there freestyling conjugations. So, like, I think it might just be y'all's English.
Y'all love a "have done"
Also a "won't have"
Also a "they'll not have" to change it up.
That's why they are so good at telling anecdotes. Absolutely lawless land.
I feel like the hardest part of impersonating a Brit would not be the accent. It would be the grammar because how.

From the replies it turns out Americans learn grammar in school and diagram sentences (? :huh:) which we do not. I can't work out what's wrong with any of his examples :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Brits as ebonics speakers.  That's a good riff.

Diagramming sentences was fun.  :)

It's about parts of speech, not conjugation.  If that line goes that way and attaches to this word, that means it's an adverb. E.g.

HVC

Bull caves become veal. So 50/50 chance at being slaughtered. At the very least they're taken away shortly after birth and bottle (machine) fed.

That being said veal is tasty and milk is ok i guess.