Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on August 21, 2022, 07:21:24 AMCannot it simply be a first sign of Putin losing his absolute grip on power and the dukes of his realm starting to fight out future succession?

This seems the most likely explanation

celedhring

Is Dugin a duke, though? He comes across to me as more of a courtier :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on August 21, 2022, 08:59:10 AMIs Dugin a duke, though? He comes across to me as more of a courtier :hmm:

He can still be an important player who really upset the wrong guy in the game.

Solmyr

Dugin is not actually that important for Putin's regime, he mostly created this image of himself in the West as some major ideologist. His daughter mostly produced some propaganda.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 21, 2022, 08:59:10 AMIs Dugin a duke, though? He comes across to me as more of a courtier :hmm:
I don't think Dugin matters that much at all. If anything I think he's probably more vulnerable than people with actual influence who I suspect would have some form of security?
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Kamil Galeev provides excellent context to her assassination on his twitter feed. He makes the Russian "experts" in Western media look like retards.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Legbiter on August 21, 2022, 11:31:47 AMKamil Galeev provides excellent context to her assassination on his twitter feed. He makes the Russian "experts" in Western media look like retards.
linkie for those too lazy?
but yeah: he's got some good stuff

Razgovory

Who the fuck is the National Republican Army?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Yup so Russia is planning on retaliating for the car bombing, saying it was a Ukrainian hit. As most of you have said, it doesn't really makes sense. There's no strategic value for the Ukrainians to do this and it wouldn't be an assassination for its own sake. But Putin's obviously gonna make the best PR out of it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Also it's Ukrainian Independence Day on Wednesday.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

A theory that it is Putin putting fear into the hearts of the ruling class. 

From the NYT

"Rublyovka is shivering," a pro-Kremlin political analyst, Sergei Markov, wrote on the Telegram social network. "This act of terror is a message for them: Be afraid, you could be next."

Iormlund

Unconfirmed reports that an ammo convoy was blown up crossing the bridge at Kherson, which was severely damaged.

If that bridge has indeed fallen there's about 30 BTGs at the wrong side of their supply chain...

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 22, 2022, 08:49:51 AMAlso it's Ukrainian Independence Day on Wednesday.

Yes, seems to be an issue here. Ukraine did seem to be preparing for a big triumphant independence day. Convenient timing with the assassination and the prompt response on Russian media.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Did they?  My impression was that they were planning to hanker down, discouraging any crowd gathering, because they expect some shit to go down on that day.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on August 22, 2022, 11:09:24 AMDid they?  My impression was that they were planning to hanker down, discouraging any crowd gathering, because they expect some shit to go down on that day.
Thats the latest update.
A few days ago I read about planned parades of wrecked Russian tanks and my colleagues in Ukraine sounded rather excited for it.
██████
██████
██████