News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I am trying to think of the last person elevated to the Supreme Court from a trial court

PRC

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 21, 2022, 08:26:40 AMI am trying to think of the last person elevated to the Supreme Court from a trial court

Honest question, is this code for "She is unqualified"?

crazy canuck

I don't know near enough about her to make a judgment about that. 

crazy canuck

First quarter Federal surplus, if we don't go into a recession the projected deficit could be eliminated entirely.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2022, 05:38:48 PMFirst quarter Federal surplus, if we don't go into a recession the projected deficit could be eliminated entirely.

No shit? Way to go Trudeau and company.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2022, 05:39:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2022, 05:38:48 PMFirst quarter Federal surplus, if we don't go into a recession the projected deficit could be eliminated entirely.

No shit? Way to go Trudeau and company.

I am not sure the government has anything to do with it.  Apparently it is become expenses are way down, because people are going back to work, and revenues are way up - partly because of inflation and partly because of the resource sector boom.

The next election is going to be interesting - under Trudeau this is going to be a clear spend signal.  A more fiscal minded government might take the opportunity to erase some of the debt we acquired during COVID.  The problem is there is not really a sane fiscal minded option at the moment.

Josephus

Fucking Libertarian Liberals
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 26, 2022, 06:06:03 PMViper must be torn  :D
Trudeau will make sure there is no surplus by the time we reach an election. ;)

The new dental and pharma care idiocies aren't financed yet.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2022, 06:08:13 AM

Fucking Libertarian Liberals

:D

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2022, 12:36:40 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 26, 2022, 06:06:03 PMViper must be torn  :D
Trudeau will make sure there is no surplus by the time we reach an election. ;)

The new dental and pharma care idiocies aren't financed yet.

I actually think there is a lot of truth to that, but not because of those programs.  I am more concerned about spending that does not really provide social benefit.

Grey Fox

We're having elections  :D  This is going to be a good 35 day campaign. I'm excited.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

At the end of July in this thread the WEF / Davos Summit conspiracy that is infecting the Conservative movement in Canada came up. It seems to be a uniquely Canadian conservative thing... I don't think I've seen anything about it in the US political sphere.  It's also now tied itself into the Dutch farmers dispute / fertilizer reduction policies on farms (in Canada I believe the fertilizer reduction policy is a voluntary program).

Here are some more recent appearances of that particular angle.

Here is current CPC leadership candidate Pierre Poilievre in Nanaimo over the weekend:

https://twitter.com/wallydebling/status/1564005999442542593

QuoteWhat do you think if any of my ministers want to go to that big fancy conference of billionaires with the World Economic Forum in Davos, they better make it a one way ticket because they won't be back. <Loud Applause>.

I'm not sure of the CPC leadership polling right now, but I think Pierre is the front runner. 

Also over the weekend in Grande Prairie a large deplorable fellow loudly and aggressively approached Chrystia Freeland shouting vulgarities at her and demanding to know what she was doing in Alberta (note - she was there for meetings, but is also originally from Peace River, Alberta).

https://twitter.com/JaroGiesbrecht/status/1563418678833856513

The guy berating her organizes trucker / freedom convoys and defended his actions as being that of a true patriot.  His rants online are easily found and he is deep into that Klaus Schwab / WEF conspiracy as well.

Danielle Smith, who has also said that no cabinet minister of hers would be allowed to be WEF member, in a recent UCP leadership debate has called for the creation of a Provincial Police force in Alberta so that Federal gun laws could be ignored.  The RCMP, being Federal would of course enforce those gun laws.  The majority of people in Alberta don't want this, it would be an expensive wasteful transition.  It also seems to imply that she, as Premier, would be okay with political interference in justice as this Provincial Police force would take their marching orders from her and not the Feds.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/troubling-that-ucp-leadership-candidates-suggest-alberta-police-not-enforce-federal-gun-laws-expert

Quote"I asked the question to the RCMP: 'when Justin Trudeau says your priority is to go out and start prosecuting firearms offences that have just been made into paperwork crimes, are they gonna do it?' I think they will. This is the reason we need an Alberta provincial police that reports to us," said Smith, suggesting the Alberta government direct law enforcement to focus on gun smuggling instead.

crazy canuck

PP is tapping into the conspiracy theories of particularly Evangelicals regarding the New World Order.  Ripe ground in religious communities in Alberta, Saskatchewan and some areas of BC.

crazy canuck

In other promising fiscal news, BC just announced that it had a surplus of $1.3 billion in the last fiscal year. It had been projecting a deficit of 9.7 billion.

crazy canuck

Another data point explaining why budgets are looking so rosy, Canada's economy grew 3.3% in the second quarter.