News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on August 18, 2022, 05:40:17 PMYikes, found out today that there's a small cupboard in the museum that contains ....
shrunken human heads.

I take it that the big cupboards are reserved for full-sized human heads?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2022, 05:47:20 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 18, 2022, 05:40:17 PMYikes, found out today that there's a small cupboard in the museum that contains ....
shrunken human heads.

I take it that the big cupboards are reserved for full-sized human heads?

:LOL:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Interesting little explainer on ASML - the company that makes semiconductor fabs: https://twitter.com/TrungTPhan/status/1560290568499892224

Grey Fox

Oh yea, Lithographic machines are wonder of technology.

That ASML machine (2nd tweet with the purple laser) uses my company's IR (Quebec develop!) technology. It's really crazy.

On another subject. Today I was asked twice by hassidic jews if I was jewish. I look kinda mediterranean so I get that part. I answered truthfully and told them no and we all moved on with our day. However, now I'm wondering what would have happened if I had answered yes? I think I look like a jewish mother worse nightmare.

Anyone here know? Googling is boring.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 18, 2022, 08:31:59 PMOh yea, Lithographic machines are wonder of technology.

That ASML machine (2nd tweet with the purple laser) uses my company's IR (Quebec develop!) technology. It's really crazy.

On another subject. Today I was asked twice by hassidic jews if I was jewish. I look kinda mediterranean so I get that part. I answered truthfully and told them no and we all moved on with our day. However, now I'm wondering what would have happened if I had answered yes? I think I look like a jewish mother worse nightmare.

Hassids? If you said you were Jewish, they would try to convince you to be a Hassid.

Jews generally do not attempt to convert others to being Jewish. In fact, for historical reasons, Jews are pretty much against anyone attempting to convert others (Jews have been a constant target of conversion attempts by Christians). However, (some particular) Hassids are an exception to that rule - one of the reasons they are disliked by other Jews. They still never attempt to convert non-Jews - that is still beyond the pale - but rather, they go around attempting to convert other Jews into Hassids.

Other Jews tend to find this behaviour creepy and cult-like - again, Jews find attempting to convert others obnoxious. From the Hassid point of view, they aren't trying to convert anyone, they are merely trying to convince *bad Jews* (that is, anyone not a Hassid) to be *good Jews* (that is, like themselves).

Should be stressed that it is only a minority of Hassids who do this, most are very insular. Hassids come in many sects, only some are into this sort of thing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2022, 09:57:45 PMIn fact, for historical reasons, Jews are pretty much against anyone attempting to convert others (Jews have been a constant target of conversion attempts by Christians).

Your statement suggest that the Jewish indifference/aversion to conversions postdates their experience with forced conversions practiced on them.  I would argue the contrary.

Sheilbh

Only just spotted the absolutely crazy scandal in Australia that Scott Morrison secretly appointed himself to five other ministerial roles while he was PM (I think starting in the covid and then carrying on). So he was also secretly appointed (by himself) to: health, finance, resources, treasury and home affairs :blink: :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

What's the point of an appointment if it's secret?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

I've no idea how it worked. He described it as a "break in case of emergency" thing during covid which I can kind of get - but that doesn't seem to be what actually happened. So I don't know.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on August 19, 2022, 03:07:01 AMWhat's the point of an appointment if it's secret?

Provides big dick energy to those in need of it, I guess

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 19, 2022, 01:55:37 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2022, 09:57:45 PMIn fact, for historical reasons, Jews are pretty much against anyone attempting to convert others (Jews have been a constant target of conversion attempts by Christians).

Your statement suggest that the Jewish indifference/aversion to conversions postdates their experience with forced conversions practiced on them.  I would argue the contrary.

I have no idea what Jews in the ancient world thought about conversion.

Modern day Jews generally don't like people trying to convert others, that's for sure. It is thought to be impolite at best. One of the reasons generally believed is that this feeling has a historical origin to attempts to convert Jews in the past (and,less violently, up to the present day). 

celedhring

Siege tried to convert me once in EUOT (I have Jewish ancestry). Then again, we're talking about Siege

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2022, 06:00:38 AMSiege tried to convert me once in EUOT (I have Jewish ancestry). Then again, we're talking about Siege

To liking bad beer?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on August 19, 2022, 06:23:12 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2022, 06:00:38 AMSiege tried to convert me once in EUOT (I have Jewish ancestry). Then again, we're talking about Siege

To liking non-beer?

Fixed!

So much for Limpieza de Sangre.  :thumbsdown: 
Spanish Inquisition = overrated!
:D

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 18, 2022, 08:31:59 PMOh yea, Lithographic machines are wonder of technology.

Sounds like a Lubavitch thing, in NYC they go scouting for Jews this time of the year. https://forward.com/news/184484/meet-the-are-you-jewish-chabad-guys/