News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2022, 05:35:30 PMI think blockchain tech is amazing and I am sure it has remarkable practical uses. I am just waiting around for one to reveal itself.

From a security perspective, a distributed ledger has advantages over a centralized counterparty database.  And it could make clearing simpler. 

At present the practical uses are limited because no one (to my knowledge) has implemented it efficiently at scale.  Bitcoin in particular is an ignominious failure on that score. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mx4AxajEbM

10 highest paid atheletes per year 1990-2019.

I didn't realize boxers made that much.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2022, 08:31:13 PMSpeaking of things being pushed, recently I keep seeing an ad on Youtube about Slavic women being in demand these days, and taking a quick quiz to find out whether a Slavic woman is right for you.  Slavic was always pronounced as "Slave-ick". 

It seems like Youtube algorithm regards me reporting this ad, as well as repeatedly asking to not show it to me, as a desirable engagement, so I keep seeing it.  Nothing in my Google search history indicates that either Slavic women or slaves are a particular interest of mine. :unsure:

Well, Slavic women should be, to be fair.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2022, 08:31:13 PMSpeaking of things being pushed, recently I keep seeing an ad on Youtube about Slavic women being in demand these days, and taking a quick quiz to find out whether a Slavic woman is right for you.  Slavic was always pronounced as "Slave-ick". 

It seems like Youtube algorithm regards me reporting this ad, as well as repeatedly asking to not show it to me, as a desirable engagement, so I keep seeing it.  Nothing in my Google search history indicates that either Slavic women or slaves are a particular interest of mine. :unsure:

Given all the reports of human trafficking around Ukraine.... This sits uneasy. Some very dodgy people paying for these ads?
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

On the topic of bizzare fucked up targeted advertising people have been getting.

:ph34r: :hitler:
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Have you been crusading again? <_<
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

For me, Spotify has been desperately trying to nail down my demographics. Based on ads they have so far nailed me down at various times as: Scottish, a woman, gay, and latest, a parent. So I guess this all merges in their algorithm as a lesbian Scottish lady with kids.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on August 17, 2022, 04:52:11 AMFor me, Spotify has been desperately trying to nail down my demographics. Based on ads they have so far nailed me down at various times as: Scottish, a woman, gay, and latest, a parent. So I guess this all merges in their algorithm as a lesbian Scottish lady with kids.

Myself I kept getting a bunch of ads from Spotify assuming I'm a British expat living in Spain.

garbon

I forgot about Spotify ads after I joined my "family" plans years ago with my former employees extended family. I still pay her a couple pounds each month. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

With the Truss accusing British workers of being lazy (guilty), I'd not thought of it before but really weird how "graft" means to work, hard work, lots of effort and corruption :lol: :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Truss is a grafter but the majority of the British population are not  :hmm:  ?

Makes sense to me.

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2022, 04:54:42 AMMyself I kept getting a bunch of ads from Spotify assuming I'm a British expat living in Spain.

Glad I'm not the only one.  :lol:

crazy canuck

I don't understand how people are getting ads through spotify - I don't see any.

The Brain

My understanding is that poors sometimes forgo Premium.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.