News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: viper37 on July 10, 2022, 08:09:42 PMRed Sonja will get a 4k remaster.

Duke will be interested. And could tells us more of the movie.
Aside from involving a Conan look-alike and a sexy red head warrior, I can't remember anything of this movie.  Was it even good?

Young Brigitte Nielsen with red hair and in fantasy style female armor, what else is needed from this movie to be good?

The Larch

Last week I watched Baby Driver, which had been in my to watch list for a while. Very enjoyable, with lots of frenetic action scenes. It was more violent and tense than I expected, I guess that with Edgar Wright directing it I kind of assumed the film would have a more comedic and light hearted tone. The soundtrack is, of course, great.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on July 10, 2022, 08:09:42 PMRed Sonja will get a 4k remaster.

Aside from involving a Conan look-alike and a sexy red head warrior, I can't remember anything of this movie.  Was it even good?

For you, yes.  :D

Already pre-ordered.  :P

I had the previous blu-ray which was nice but still perfectible.

As for the movie, it's not as good as even Conan the Destroyer (same director in the low end phase of his career) but it works in a "so-good-it's bad" way.

It's not a Z-grade movie however, there are some production values, so you get some very nice sets, great music by Morricone. It's just that Brigitte Nielsen is a bit limited for the part (not athletically). Plus Conan Kalidor ends up doing a lot of the work, while originally intended as an extended cameo but De Laurentiis, the producer, made him stay and Arnie was nice enough to play along.
Fun fact, in France, it's known as Kalidor not Sonja la Rousse.  :lol:

There is an obnoxious kid, typically '80s (think Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom level).

All that was even said in the disc extras.  :P

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 12, 2022, 12:55:42 PM

For you, yes.  :D

Already pre-ordered.  :P

I had the previous blu-ray which was nice but still perfectible.

As for the movie, it's not as good as even Conan the Destroyer (same director in the low end phase of his career) but it works in a "so-good-it's bad" way.

It's not a Z-grade movie however, there are some production values, so you get some very nice sets, great music by Morricone. It's just that Brigitte Nielsen is a bit limited for the part (not athletically). Plus Conan Kalidor ends up doing a lot of the work, while originally intended as an extended cameo but De Laurentiis, the producer, made him stay and Arnie was nice enough to play along.
Fun fact, in France, it's known as Kalidor not Sonja la Rousse.  :lol:

There is an obnoxious kid, typically '80s (think Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom level).

All that was even said in the disc extras.  :P

but it works in a "so-good-it's bad" way.

I think I'll leave that one to you.  I'll try to find something else, if I get around to buy that 4k tv :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 12, 2022, 12:55:42 PM but it works in a "so-good-it's bad" way.

Quote from: viper37 on July 10, 2022, 08:09:42 PMI think I'll leave that one to you.  I'll try to find something else, if I get around to buy that 4k tv :P

Nah, it's right up your alley. You just won't see it as bad.  :P

As for the 4K TV, if you can fork out the extra money to get an OLED, go for it. It makes a real difference, even for "standard" HD, and not as fragile as good ol' plasma screens.

Syt

Not a t-shirt I expected to see on IASIP:

:hmm:  :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 13, 2022, 09:03:23 AMNah, it's right up your alley. You just won't see it as bad.  :P
Cheap shot coming from someone who has watched more than one Uwe Boll movie!  :P

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 13, 2022, 09:03:23 AMAs for the 4K TV, if you can fork out the extra money to get an OLED, go for it. It makes a real difference, even for "standard" HD, and not as fragile as good ol' plasma screens.
Yeah, I aim for the LG C2 model later this year.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on July 13, 2022, 11:57:52 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 13, 2022, 09:03:23 AMNah, it's right up your alley. You just won't see it as bad.  :P
Cheap shot coming from someone who has watched more than one Uwe Boll movie!  :P

I'm not sure actually that I watched any Boll opus besides the hilarious House of the Dead. The other ones are bad, but mostly boring, which is the ultimate crime, if I am to believe well-informed critics. :P
Bloodrayne getting mixed reviews for the "so bad it's good" factor.

https://www.nanarland.com/chroniques/aux-portes-du-nanar/polemique/bloodrayne.html#cote-rarete

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 13, 2022, 09:03:23 AMAs for the 4K TV, if you can fork out the extra money to get an OLED, go for it. It makes a real difference, even for "standard" HD, and not as fragile as good ol' plasma screens.
QuoteYeah, I aim for the LG C2 model later this year.

LG was supposed to be better for 4K gaming (PS5 e.g) while Panasonic bested it for cinema when I bought mine last year. Might change from model generation to model generation.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 13, 2022, 12:43:05 PMI'm not sure actually that I watched any Boll opus besides the hilarious House of the Dead. The other ones are bad, but mostly boring, which is the ultimate crime, if I am to believe well-informed critics. :P
Bloodrayne getting mixed reviews for the "so bad it's good" factor.
I saw In the Name of the King.  I had no idea who was Uwe Boll before, but I figured a movie with Jason Statham could not be that bad.  Well...  :yuk:

I recently discovered there were 2 sequels made...  :wacko:

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 13, 2022, 12:43:05 PMLG was supposed to be better for 4K gaming (PS5 e.g) while Panasonic bested it for cinema when I bought mine last year. Might change from model generation to model generation.

Panasonic is better for cinema, no doubt about it.

However, Panasonic has completely exited the North American television market.  First the US market as of nearly a decade ago, and then the Canadian market since before the pandemic. :(

Josquius

LG are a disappointment. I bought an LG and its missing a lot of key apps. Would go Samsung in hindsight.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on July 14, 2022, 02:23:38 AMLG are a disappointment. I bought an LG and its missing a lot of key apps. Would go Samsung in hindsight.
I don't much care about TV apps, I never use them.  Sound is also irrelevant.

I care about picture quality, dark levels, image sharpness, stuff like that.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on July 13, 2022, 08:32:29 PMI saw In the Name of the King.  I had no idea who was Uwe Boll before, but I figured a movie with Jason Statham could not be that bad.  Well...  :yuk:

I recently discovered there were 2 sequels made...  :wacko:

Tip: avoid them like the plague.  :P
As for Boll, "so bad it's good" works better with some kind of sincerity, really believing in your work, even if others don't like it or laugh at it.
Boll is a pure cynical businessman so it seldom worked to give "nanar" results.

This biography is interesting, showing the phases of his "auteur" carer:

https://www.nanarland.com/personnalites/realisateurs-producteurs/uwe-boll.html

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 13, 2022, 12:43:05 PMLG was supposed to be better for 4K gaming (PS5 e.g) while Panasonic bested it for cinema when I bought mine last year. Might change from model generation to model generation.

Quote from: viper37 on July 13, 2022, 08:32:29 PMPanasonic is better for cinema, no doubt about it.

However, Panasonic has completely exited the North American television market.  First the US market as of nearly a decade ago, and then the Canadian market since before the pandemic. :(

10 years ago for the US market?!
I knew we did not get the same models over here but I am surprised such a big name exited the field. Bad news. Is it just TVs?

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on July 14, 2022, 02:23:38 AMLG are a disappointment. I bought an LG and its missing a lot of key apps. Would go Samsung in hindsight.

What apps in particular?

Grey Fox

Buy an Apple TV 4k.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.