News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I liked it too. We nerds probably seek sci fi stories no matter how badly titled they are.

Princess of Mars would have made billions at the Box Office.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

I remember not understanding at all why they picked the title John Carter. It means nothing to most people, doesn't tell you anything about the movie, and doesn't include the word Mars.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

I thought it was mediocre, to be honest. Bloated, meandering, and with a meh cast. That said, I don't think it's much worse that your average Hollywood blockbuster. This was a time when Disney just couldn't buy a hit with any of their live-action movies though (and they decided to solve that problem by buying Marvel and then Lucasfilm), besides the bad marketing I think they overestimated people's knowledge of the IP. I don't think the books were much known outside of somewhat older scifi geeks.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on July 20, 2022, 01:41:04 AMI thought it was mediocre, to be honest. Bloated, meandering, and with a meh cast. That said, I don't think it's much worse that your average Hollywood blockbuster. This was a time when Disney just couldn't buy a hit with any of their live-action movies though (and they decided to solve that problem by buying Marvel and then Lucasfilm), besides the bad marketing I think they overestimated people's knowledge of the IP. I don't think the books were much known outside of somewhat older scifi geeks.

Yeah, the IP was very niche. I mean I'm a nerd but I had never read the books and was only vaguely aware of what the IP was about. The article's "beloved" is vastly overstating things. Harry Potter it wasn't.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

@viper - I greatly enjoyed the books when I was 14 or so, they are pulp fiction of course, returning to the books as an adult I found them a bit flat. If you have a kindle you can pick up the first novel for a dollar or so; they are quick reads so it may be worth your while to have a look.

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on July 20, 2022, 01:46:42 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 20, 2022, 01:41:04 AMI thought it was mediocre, to be honest. Bloated, meandering, and with a meh cast. That said, I don't think it's much worse that your average Hollywood blockbuster. This was a time when Disney just couldn't buy a hit with any of their live-action movies though (and they decided to solve that problem by buying Marvel and then Lucasfilm), besides the bad marketing I think they overestimated people's knowledge of the IP. I don't think the books were much known outside of somewhat older scifi geeks.

Yeah, the IP was very niche. I mean I'm a nerd but I had never read the books and was only vaguely aware of what the IP was about. The article's "beloved" is vastly overstating things. Harry Potter it wasn't.

I remember reading the comic strips when I was a kid, but that's about it really.

Admiral Yi

On the casting front, I found the eye candy a bit butch.

Josquius

I remember really liking John Carter. It could have been that I went in with very low expectations but it was a fun film. Successfully pulled off the pulpy  retro Sci fi feel without feeling too ridiculous or too detached from the source.

But yes. The title is awful. Sounds more like a Tom clancy sort of thing.
I'm not sure princess of Mars would have been much better though, coming from Disney especially, the word Princess has baggage.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I feel the last few episodes of Better Call Saul have been quite excellent. This week's denouement after the rollercoaster of the last two led to a logical (if gutwrenching) conclusion, and the epilogue, even though something we were waiting to see since Season 1, Ep. 1 (the full transformation of Jimmy => Saul), was quite depressing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on July 20, 2022, 01:46:42 AM

I didn't realize there were books till I read this thread.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on July 20, 2022, 06:19:02 AMI remember really liking John Carter. It could have been that I went in with very low expectations but it was a fun film. Successfully pulled off the pulpy  retro Sci fi feel without feeling too ridiculous or too detached from the source.

But yes. The title is awful. Sounds more like a Tom clancy sort of thing.
I'm not sure princess of Mars would have been much better though, coming from Disney especially, the word Princess has baggage.

But the right type of baggage to get Disney fans to the movies.  They didn't even get that.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2022, 06:28:22 AMI feel the last few episodes of Better Call Saul have been quite excellent. This week's denouement after the rollercoaster of the last two led to a logical (if gutwrenching) conclusion, and the epilogue, even though something we were waiting to see since Season 1, Ep. 1 (the full transformation of Jimmy => Saul), was quite depressing.

They have been good, but I am definitely seeing that "oh shit, we gotta wrap this all up quick" feel.  And the over-the-top gaudy Saul home...I don't buy it.  Despite what we know about the character, I still don't feel like it fits at all.

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 20, 2022, 09:59:15 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2022, 06:28:22 AMI feel the last few episodes of Better Call Saul have been quite excellent. This week's denouement after the rollercoaster of the last two led to a logical (if gutwrenching) conclusion, and the epilogue, even though something we were waiting to see since Season 1, Ep. 1 (the full transformation of Jimmy => Saul), was quite depressing.

They have been good, but I am definitely seeing that "oh shit, we gotta wrap this all up quick" feel.  And the over-the-top gaudy Saul home...I don't buy it.  Despite what we know about the character, I still don't feel like it fits at all.

What else is he gonna do with the cartel money? He's not been known to make good long term life decisions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

I mean, I get that it is trying to show him going super-hedonistic after Kim exits, but I just feel that particular detail just doesn't work.  Feels like a non-sequitur.

Syt

I see it as an attempt to "buy happiness" and fill the void that Kim left behind. It's a bit of a surprise that he has this kind of mansion, but then again I'm struggling to think what else would fit with his Saul Goodman ego that he's fully adopted now. It's a bit unclear how much time passed before we see him in the final scene, but I'd expect it to be probably a year at least.
—Stephen Jay Gould